will Pattaya Songkran 2016 be cut short like in Bangkok?

Asiantravel

Pattaya TV reported that it would only be 3 days here in Pattaya, but the city has made no effort to inform the tourists or citizens of this fact.

really? And I'm going to Chiang Mai to escape the 9 days of madness here where it is normally only three days. So maybe up there they will now they will reduce it from 3 to 2 daysw00t.gif

but in any case I thought the government was encouraging people not to splash it around as usual but to simply pour it over the hands like they used to do in the old days.

Edited by Asiantravel

BANGKOK authorities have thrown cold water on this year’s Songkran Thai New Year festival by shortening the duration of the celebration to only three days in a bid to address the country’s worsening water shortage.

LOL, it's always only 3 days in Bangkok.

Pattaya TV reported that it would only be 3 days here in Pattaya, but the city has made no effort to inform the tourists or citizens of this fact.

and how will that, if correct, be monitored & controlled here I wonder?

As we all know Songkran starts on the 12th and especially in the Eastern Seaboard Area (let's say from Chonburi up to Sattahip) it lasts until the 19th or 20th.

Pattaya's Songkran is officially 1 day on 18, 19 or 20, but as we all know as well..........well whatever.

It's Songkran and the hardest complainers about the drought throw the most water.

and how will that, if correct, be monitored & controlled here I wonder?

My point was it won't be..it never is

As we all know Songkran starts on the 12th and especially in the Eastern Seaboard Area (let's say from Chonburi up to Sattahip) it lasts until the 19th or 20th.

Pattaya's Songkran is officially 1 day on 18, 19 or 20, but as we all know as well..........well whatever.

It's Songkran and the hardest complainers about the drought throw the most water.

Pattaya main day is 19th, never ever seen it on 20th in Pattaya - I'm going back to 1994 only. Always starts wrapping up around 6pm ish.

I've never witnessed this extra day on the 20th down towards Sattahip area.

Let's hope it is cut short but I noticed last year on the 19th was very subdued around 3rd road area until midday & it still finished around 6pm - poss due to the roadworks.

The city of Pattaya never enforces the official "three days" of Songkran... Sin-City gradually starts seven days before the "official date". Songkran is fun for a couple days, but getting wet on the way to the bank, shopping center, or going out to lunch gets to be OLD. Besides, all the waste of clean water is (to some of us) very disrespectful to Buddha's teachings and ignoring how some people are suffering from a drought.

TheCruncher, on 15 Mar 2016 - 20:03, said:
QuoteBANGKOK authorities have thrown cold water on this year’s Songkran Thai New Year festival by shortening the duration of the celebration to only three days in a bid to address the country’s worsening water shortage.

LOL, it's always only 3 days in Bangkok.

That's what I always heard, 3 days in BKK.

really? And I'm going to Chiang Mai to escape the 9 days of madness here where it is normally only three days. So maybe up there they will now they will reduce it from 3 to 2 daysw00t.gif

but in any case I thought the government was encouraging people not to splash it around as usual but to simply pour it over the hands like they used to do in the old days.

That won't work now with these stupid mentally retarded Farangs who insist on taking part, mainly in the tourist parts.

Will Pattaya Songkran be cut short?

How long have you been here?

In one word, which I'll repeat in capitals; NO, NO, NO!!!!!

Your last sentence is true, I say it again, it won't be cut short mainly because of the Farang retards.

It is not nine days full on in Pattaya. It builds to up the 19th, naklua on the 18th, sat and sun 16 th will be fairly busy because it is the weekend.

Before that it will only be in a few areas.

It is not the officials who start it earlier in Pattaya but the PEOPLE. Some people just like to kick off the fun early. There is not much powder on these earlier days, just a bit of a splash with some cool water on a hot day. Sort of songkran lite.

It is mainly kids just enjoying themselves having a bit of fun splashing water on their school summer holidays.

Unfortunately for me, I will miss the early Pattaya songkran this year, heading to Issan for songkran there, but then back for the two big PattayaNaklua days.

I can't wait! Fun days.

It's hard to imagine that TV posters need specific reasons to endlessly complain, but Songkran stands out for causing the most knotted knickers. Songkran goes on for a few days, but the whining goes on for months.

Even in Pattaya the past few years it didn't amount to that much aside from one day when traffic was tied up. If you go shopping in places like Big C Extra or Central you use covered parking and even open places like Friendship's parking are not bothered by water throwers.

Some of you seem to be easily frightened. If you're really worried one tactic should reassure you

Hiding_under_the_bed.jpg

Off topic posts and flames removed, the topic is about:

will Pattaya Songkran 2016 be cut short like in Bangkok

Anything other than that can go in the pinned topic at the top of the page, Thank you

It's hard to imagine that TV posters need specific reasons to endlessly complain, but Songkran stands out for causing the most knotted knickers. Songkran goes on for a few days, but the whining goes on for months.

Even in Pattaya the past few years it didn't amount to that much aside from one day when traffic was tied up. If you go shopping in places like Big C Extra or Central you use covered parking and even open places like Friendship's parking are not bothered by water throwers.

Some of you seem to be easily frightened. If you're really worried one tactic should reassure you

Hiding_under_the_bed.jpg

it's not a question of being frightened. Surely you must understand some people simply ask for the right to ask someone not to be drenched and yet so many foreigners in particular ignore such requests with a vicious aggression.

Pattaya main day is 19th, never ever seen it on 20th in Pattaya - I'm going back to 1994 only. Always starts wrapping up around 6pm ish.

I've never witnessed this extra day on the 20th down towards Sattahip area.

Let's hope it is cut short but I noticed last year on the 19th was very subdued around 3rd road area until midday & it still finished around 6pm - poss due to the roadworks.

Just take a trip down to Ban Amphur area, festering chaos on the 20th, that's after getting drenched on trips down to Pattaya throughout the week.

Songkran's a ....... nightmare in Pattaya and surrounding area. Rest of the year wouldn't live anywhere else.

Edited by jesimps

T.I.T. This Is Thailand!!! .... the concept of logic does not exist. That would be logical to conserve water that is already in short supply, .... and welcomed by those of us that live and work here, because it seems anything goes, water cannons that can knock a person off a motor bike, garbage bins full of ice water thrown on defenseless people in songtaos, there are no rules and there are no police to enforce them if there were ..... but Pattaya City council seems to think this craziness is good for Pattaya

Edited by Thunderbirds20