Avenue shopping centre looking decidedly poorly

Asiantravel

Last year I really thought the managers of Avenue shopping centres had found the winning formula to fill up their vacant retail areas with the introduction of the premium sports outlet on the second and third floor. But now amazingly the huge area on the third floor that was occupied by them is stripped bare! same story with large part of the second floor area that was occupied by sellers of Reebok and Adidas sportswear.

What does that tell you about economic conditions in Pattaya?sad.png

So now almost the entire third floor is unoccupied.

There was also what seemed to me a fairly popular barbecue buffet restaurant (advertising all you can eat for 299 baht )on the ground floor near the escalators which has also gone.

Edited by Asiantravel

The place has been a white elephant since day one and in no way reflects the economic climate in Pattaya. Who would build a "High End" mall outdoors in a tropical country?

And yet so many people seem willing to spend their time wandering around in often unbearable heat under tarpaulin sheets at the markets near Tukom on Tuesdays and Fridays as well as the large market areas such as the one opposite Central Festival on second road?

There was also what seemed to me a fairly popular barbecue buffet restaurant (advertising all you can eat for 299 baht )on the ground floor near the escalators which has also gone.

That was just about the only place that did obviously good business there.

There is a branch opening in the new Harbor Mall next month so I suspect that they may have pulled out of the Avenue to go there.

The best thing about the Ave is the movie theater and the 99 Baht pizzas....

The cheap pizzas stopped near the end of last year and the new incarnation of them is a cheap pizza if you also buy soup or salad, which isnt the same deal at all.

The place has been a white elephant since day one and in no way reflects the economic climate in Pattaya. Who would build a "High End" mall outdoors in a tropical country?

And yet so many people seem willing to spend their time wandering around in often unbearable heat under tarpaulin sheets at the markets near Tukom on Tuesdays and Fridays as well as the large market areas such as the one opposite Central Festival on second road?

For the most part they are two totally different demographics. If I want mid to high end shopping I head to central where everything is inside one nice air conditioned building.

For the most part they are two totally different demographics. If I want mid to high end shopping I head to central where everything is inside one nice air conditioned building.

I don’t think people that were looking for bargains on sport shoes and sports accessories were expecting “ high-end shopping “ ? I believe they were looking for a good range to choose from at a cheap price even though you have to accept it was last year’s product as opposed to the latest fashion which yes you can get at sports superstore in Central Festival if you are willing to pay more. And it was air-conditioned inside the sports premium outlet at the Avenue ?

In a similar vein..... The Bay Mall seems to have ground to a halt as well.

you mean construction has stopped?ohmy.png

It just looks like another version of Royal Garden Plaza to meblink.png

Maybe they are on interior fit out but the place looks like a ghost town whenever I go past.

Big difference between low end outdoor markets and high end shops. The latter requires full air conditioning to be successful, and even if it is, it still requires another element missing at The Avenue - LOCATION.

I know of 2 successful business in The Avenue - Oishi and McDonalds. Perhaps the bowling alley is doing OK? The Adidas outlet store on the ground floor seems to be doing OK too.

I reckon with good management The Villa Market would have done OK, but management have always been their greatest obstacle as far as I can see. They alienate their local clientele. A good gym in place of California Wow could revitalize the mall.

Edited by tropo

When California Wow failed to pay their bills and were evicted the Avenue Malls demise began.

The club members supplied business to many other establishments and the mall did ok. Never great.

After Central mall was completed, the Avenue suffered further decline.

Without Oishi, Starbucks, and a few others the mall would be dead.

Failing to replace California Wow with another gym , in my opinion was a huge mistake. Allowing the old CW location to just sit there, and start to smell for years, was another huge mistake. Even the new April 1 st mall “Harbour Pattaya” will have a gym.

I still feel with the right moves it can come back because of its great location.

If I were the owner of this prime site, I would demolish the whole thing and sell the land. It is a flawed design concept anyway. It must be worth a fortune, better than messing about with letting retail space to ever failing tenants.

As long as Villa remains...

I went to Villa about 3 weeks ago. Asked for a second plastic bag, to separate some of my bought goods. The check-out girl asked for 10 baht for a second bag (and pointed to piece of paper on the counter confirming the charge) . I told her that I wasn't paying 10 baht for a bag that advertises Villa Market, and that this practice (of having to pay to advertise where I had shopped) had been stopped in the UK. I also said that I thought that 10 baht was a bit expensive anyway for a plastic bag, and she told me to f*** off. I complained to the manager, who wasn't interested, and to the two girls at "customer service". When I asked them if they thought it was okay for their staff to speak to customers in such a a way, they said they "didn't know". That made me laugh, as it is often typical of customer service in Thailand. But, I won't be using Villa any more.

I went to Villa about 3 weeks ago. Asked for a second plastic bag, to separate some of my bought goods. The check-out girl asked for 10 baht for a second bag (and pointed to piece of paper on the counter confirming the charge) . I told her that I wasn't paying 10 baht for a bag that advertises Villa Market, and that this practice (of having to pay to advertise where I had shopped) had been stopped in the UK. I also said that I thought that 10 baht was a bit expensive anyway for a plastic bag, and she told me to f*** off. I complained to the manager, who wasn't interested, and to the two girls at "customer service". When I asked them if they thought it was okay for their staff to speak to customers in such a a way, they said they "didn't know". That made me laugh, as it is often typical of customer service in Thailand. But, I won't be using Villa any more.

I'm genuinely shocked that she told you to "F.... off"!

I wonder if the policy of charging for bags is limited to Pattaya? I use Villa at Phrom Phong a lot, and they still hand them out liberally and often double-bag heavy items.

When California Wow failed to pay their bills and were evicted the Avenue Malls demise began.

The club members supplied business to many other establishments and the mall did ok. Never great.

After Central mall was completed, the Avenue suffered further decline.

Without Oishi, Starbucks, and a few others the mall would be dead.

Failing to replace California Wow with another gym , in my opinion was a huge mistake. Allowing the old CW location to just sit there, and start to smell for years, was another huge mistake. Even the new April 1 st mall “Harbour Pattaya” will have a gym.

I still feel with the right moves it can come back because of its great location.

The smart thing to have done would have been to let California Wow stay there but pay much cheaper rent..

And with Royal Garden and Central Festival nearby with ample parking and more comfortable browsing environment, Avenue is not at all inviting. Even places like Big C Extra are more attractive and almost always very busy.

Agree Avenue doesn't reflect on the local economy, just poor planning and bad architecture.

Vote with your feet.

Your life will not stop, if you don't shop at Villa.

I'm genuinely shocked that she told you to "F.... off"!

I wonder if the policy of charging for bags is limited to Pattaya? I use Villa at Phrom Phong a lot, and they still hand them out liberally and often double-bag heavy items.

Maybe the "second" bag scheme wasn't selling very well. I think the charge in UK is only 5p for a second bag, and the equivalent of around 20p in Thailand is pushing it a bit ? I should have asked if it was limited to Pattaya only. I am am in BKK on Tuesday, I will check there.

Vote with your feet.

Your life will not stop, if you don't shop at Villa.

I have. I only used Villa for convenience, when I was passing by to meet up with a friend. It certainly hasn't caused me to lose any sleep, an there are plenty of other choices.

Think it's been around 7-10 years. Never been in.

Couldn't be bothered to cross the road to go have a look.

A shopping mall in sex town, big deal. coffee1.gif

There used to be a big restaurant there, before they knocked it sown to build Avenue Mall. I think it was Vientienne, before it moved to near Big C. Always busy, with whistles blowing as the serving staff rushed to get to tables with the food. Ate there many times.

There are three main problems with the mall , its outdoors, its on the wrong side of the road and lastly , there are just too many "malls" along the street ,when they were building it even my wife remarked "what ,isnt it going to be covered?

There used to be a big restaurant there, before they knocked it sown to build Avenue Mall. I think it was Vientienne, before it moved to near Big C. Always busy, with whistles blowing as the serving staff rushed to get to tables with the food. Ate there many times.

Yes i remember the restaurant and the whistling waiters.

Happy times wai2.gif

The place was fine until Central opened up, then began to loose quality tenants. Turning it into a premium outlet mall was also a failure as out let malls are for tourists and This location does not attract to many tourists shopping for clothes or shoes. To turn the place around and fill it up again management has to lower the rents so places can survive and unfortunately the shops that end up on the third floor will always have problems attracting customers. I personally believe that some time in the future it will either become another Mikes shopping mall or possibly it will be knocked down and rebuilt as some thing entirely new especially with the new mall being built at the Dolphin roundabout.

Yes i remember the restaurant and the whistling waiters.

Happy times wai2.gif

Vientiane is still there its further down second road as you walk towards royal garden about at Soi 13/2, the Avenue complex used to nee a very large open air bar complex