Pattaya Suicides

Avrock

If its not suicide by jumping then its suicide by total neglect of health:

Look around and you see these grey paper thin faced 60+ foreigners walking ( some barely ) smoking cigarettes.

And also look at the replacements - thirties, forties, fifties. foreigners walking around all day smoking cigarettes.

Ive never seen such a high concentration , about 80%, of cigarette smokers

And dont forget all these Asian males next in line smoking cigarettes all day.

Its not surprising.

It's amazing how many posters (smokers?) chose to believe this post implies that smoking causes balcony jumping suicides.

He said smoking IS suicide - a view shared by most medical institutions.

Astonishing lack of comprehension. Caused by smoking? giggle.gif

Most if not all hotels and condo's have strict regulations governing smoking in the rooms, not so on balconies - so perhaps there is a link between smoking and falling from balconies.

We are talking about suicides, not accidental deaths, and I don't know why smoking a cigarette on a balcony would make someone fall off.

I merely suggested there is a potential link between the two. It's worth stating however that the only difference between a suicide by falling and accidental falling is intent, difficult if not impossible to judge after the fact.

As for they fall off when going outside onto a balcony to have a cigarette: balcony railing height is a substantially different height than in the West hence the centre of gravity is changed for a taller western person - returned from a night out, intoxicated or somewhat so, last ciggie of the evening etc etc.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to Understand the majority of the men who come here are not psychologically or socially fir to begin with, so it does not take much negativity in there lives to set them off. Consider this the place where the misfits come to die.

I don't know who you mix with but all the people I know are ordinary business people,family men and retirees,that just want to live the last of their time in the sun ,not huddled in a freezing flat or house back home.

Its not who i mix with its a common fact if you do some research about the types who generally come to Thailand. ZI'm not saying all there are always exceptions but obviously the amount of suicides suggests my information must be somewhat correct.

One has to Understand the majority of the men who come here are not psychologically or socially fir to begin with, so it does not take much negativity in there lives to set them off. Consider this the place where the misfits come to die.

I don't know who you mix with but all the people I know are ordinary business people,family men and retirees,that just want to live the last of their time in the sun ,not huddled in a freezing flat or house back home.

Its not who i mix with its a common fact if you do some research about the types who generally come to Thailand. ZI'm not saying all there are always exceptions but obviously the amount of suicides suggests my information must be somewhat correct.

So can you quote this research?it would be nice to see who did it ,I take it that its all officially sponsored,or perhaps it's just a load of Crap taken from newspapers and the like

Another off-the -cuff remark that has no facts to back it up.

The facts are presented to you in this post, why are people jumping of buildings? because the are off centre......walk around during his season and tell me what you see !!!!

People come here as they can cope, at home they cant.....simple!..

So can you quote this research?it would be nice to see who did it ,I take it that its all officially sponsored,or perhaps it's just a load of Crap taken from newspapers and the like

I have done my research and have a full understanding of social instability in individuals , its way to much to boost here, but simply put when your suicide rate is 3 times higher then anywhere else there is a reason, and it normally an abundance of unstable people. who commits suicide? This country attract people who are looking for a place thats is easier for them to cope, but eventually and unfortunately they all cant.

I have done my research and have a full understanding of social instability in individuals , its way to much to boost here, but simply put when your suicide rate is 3 times higher then anywhere else there is a reason, and it normally an abundance of unstable people. who commits suicide? This country attract people who are looking for a place thats is easier for them to cope, but eventually and unfortunately they all cant.

Have you averaged out the ages of falangs who suicide in Pattaya? I imagine the majority are elderly and who are suffering from a debilitating illness or a depression as a result. I'm all in favour of taking a quick way out instead of months, possibly years of needless suffering. You are quite right, the majority of falangs who suicide (Thais suicide for other reasons) are probably either estranged from families, or have none left, so rather than a prolonged lonely death, they suicide.

Have you averaged out the ages of falangs who suicide in Pattaya? I imagine the majority are elderly and who are suffering from a debilitating illness or a depression as a result. I'm all in favour of taking a quick way out instead of months, possibly years of needless suffering. You are quite right, the majority of falangs who suicide (Thais suicide for other reasons) are probably either estranged from families, or have none left, so rather than a prolonged lonely death, they suicide.

Not an exact comparison, but pretty close.

There are almost 400 British deaths in Thailand every year, the highest of anywhere outside Spain, which has 17 times the level of visitation and a large retirement population.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/2014/11/06/thailand-our-most-deadly-holiday-destination/

There are almost 400 British deaths in Thailand every year, the highest of anywhere outside Spain, which has 17 times the level of visitation and a large retirement population.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/2014/11/06/thailand-our-most-deadly-holiday-destination/

Typical bar stool representation of fact:

Number of British deaths overseas in 2013-2014, compiled by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Spain - 856
USA - 125
Thailand - 362
France - 346
Greece - 160
United Arab Emirates - 75
Cyprus - 157
Australia - 72
India - 89
Germany - 146
Turkey - 75
China - 66
Philippines - 82
Pakistan - 21
Portugal - 131
Egypt - 49
Canada - 32
Switzerland - 173
Italy - 45
Jamaica - 23
If 900,000 visitors and 50,000 resident expats and 362 British deaths per year in total from all causes, that's a British death rate in Thailand of 0.038%.
Whereas:

The top 15 deadliest countries for British tourists and the number of British citizens murdered.

The period covered is the three years, 2012 to 2014 and the numbers were first published this month:

Pakistan - 37

Tunisia - 34

Jamaica - 18

America - 15

France - 14

South Africa - 11

Ukraine - 10

Australia - 7

Algeria - 7

Afghanistan - 6

Barbados - 6

Spain - 6

Brazil - 5

Egypt - 5

Bangladesh - 5

You'll note where Thailand sits on the list, or maybe you wont!

http://www.mirror.co...ourists-7547548

Edited by chiang mai

Number of British deaths overseas in 2013-2014, compiled by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Spain - 856
USA - 125
Thailand - 362
France - 346
Greece - 160
Cyprus - 157
Australia - 72
India - 89
Germany - 146
Turkey - 75
China - 66
Philippines - 82
Pakistan - 21
Portugal - 131
Egypt - 49
Canada - 32
Switzerland - 173
Italy - 45
Jamaica - 23
If 900,000 visitors and 50,000 resident expats and 362 British deaths per year in total from all causes, that's a British death rate in Thailand of 0.038%.
Whereas:

The top 15 deadliest countries for British tourists and the number of British citizens murdered.

The period covered is the three years, 2012 to 2014 and the numbers were first published this month:

Pakistan - 37

Tunisia - 34

Jamaica - 18

America - 15

France - 14

South Africa - 11

Ukraine - 10

Australia - 7

Algeria - 7

Afghanistan - 6

Barbados - 6

Spain - 6

Brazil - 5

Egypt - 5

Bangladesh - 5

And your stance is what? I am a little confused as to what you are trying to prove with your statistics.

Your info supports that Thailand is #2 for deaths of UK citizens like the article I presented says.

The link you have at the bottom is about Murder. So far the discussion has been about death and suicide.

Spain - 856
USA - 125
Thailand - 362
France - 346
Greece - 160
Cyprus - 157
Australia - 72
India - 89
Germany - 146
Turkey - 75
China - 66
Philippines - 82
Pakistan - 21
Portugal - 131
Egypt - 49
Canada - 32
Switzerland - 173
Italy - 45
Jamaica - 23
Whereas:

Pakistan - 37

Tunisia - 34

Jamaica - 18

America - 15

France - 14

South Africa - 11

Ukraine - 10

Australia - 7

Algeria - 7

Afghanistan - 6

Barbados - 6

Spain - 6

Brazil - 5

Egypt - 5

Bangladesh - 5

And your stance is what? I am a little confused as to what you are trying to prove with your statistics.

Your info supports that Thailand is #2 for deaths of UK citizens like the article I presented says.

The link you have at the bottom is about Murder. So far the discussion has been about death and suicide.

Despite the ratio of almost 12:1 visitors/expats in Spain (12.5 mill). vs Thailand (0.950mill), the ratio of British deaths to visitors/expat residents in those countries is approximately 0.006% vs 0.03% respectively.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/363684/141013_British_Behaviour_Abroad_report_2014.pdf

The statement as written, "There are almost 400 British deaths in Thailand every year, the highest of anywhere outside Spain, which has 17 times the level of visitation and a large retirement population", is numerically incorrect, misleading and emotive rather than representative of the risk of death by country.

However, it is worth pointing out the FCO disclaimer at the end of their report which I cannot cut and paste for some reason but essentially says:

Total deaths abroad in 13/14 is significantly lower than previous years because of the way deaths are now reported. Deaths involving no prior Embassy involvement are no longer reported, ergo, the expat retiree in Spain who dies of natural causes is not included in the stats. For that reason the percentage figure for Spain is likely to be very different and the ratio for comparison purposes more likely to be 0.01%:0.03%.

h

I included the murder stats to head off the desire of a few to constantly proclaim Thailand as the murder capital of British people abroad, that topic is the subject currently of a UK FOI in order to further clarify cause.

If its not suicide by jumping then its suicide by total neglect of health:

Look around and you see these grey paper thin faced 60+ foreigners walking ( some barely ) smoking cigarettes.

And also look at the replacements - thirties, forties, fifties. foreigners walking around all day smoking cigarettes.

Ive never seen such a high concentration , about 80%, of cigarette smokers

And dont forget all these Asian males next in line smoking cigarettes all day.

Its not surprising.

It's amazing how many posters (smokers?) chose to believe this post implies that smoking causes balcony jumping suicides.

He said smoking IS suicide - a view shared by most medical institutions.

Astonishing lack of comprehension. Caused by smoking? giggle.gif

Most if not all hotels and condo's have strict regulations governing smoking in the rooms, not so on balconies - so perhaps there is a link between smoking and falling from balconies.

We are talking about suicides, not accidental deaths, and I don't know why smoking a cigarette on a balcony would make someone fall off.

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/14/suppl_1/i28.full

Conclusion: This study demonstrates the significant association between fatal injuries (accidents) and smoking.

Conclusion: This study demonstrates the significant association between fatal injuries (accidents) and smoking.

Like I said,we are talking suicides, not accidental deaths. Find me one that says smoking causes suicides. BTW, that report is only relating to Taiwan,

Edited by giddyup

It's not surprising, the number of British suicides in Thailand. They love the country and come here thinking Thai women make the best partners in the world... It takes awhile for them to realise they made a mistake, but not before losing their shirts... and it's not as cheap as they think either.

It's not surprising, the number of British suicides in Thailand. They love the country and come here thinking Thai women make the best partners in the world... It takes awhile for them to realise they made a mistake, but not before losing their shirts... and it's not as cheap as they think either.

I don't suppose you can verify your statement about the number of British suicides in Thailand, via a reliable source, can you!

I don't suppose you can verify your statement about the number of British suicides in Thailand, via a reliable source, can you!

LOL. What's in my statement which requires verification? I used "the number" not A number. Lighten up dude - this is just an internet forum - not an official debate.

LOL. What's in my statement which requires verification? I used "the number" not A number. Lighten up dude - this is just an internet forum - not an official debate.

Indeed, it's just that you seem to think the number must be high, "considering", and I wondered why that was. If of course it's just a meaningless throw away line without basis, that's cool too.

Indeed, it's just that you seem to think the number must be high, "considering", and I wondered why that was. If of course it's just a meaningless throw away line without basis, that's cool too.

I'm certainly not taking the topic seriously enough to engage in detailed research... however the assertion that men come here searching for love, then fail, and then depression ensues, is not "a meaningless throw away". It's a sad but common story in Pattaya.

From what I've gathered so far from this topic is that the cause for suicides revolves around women drinking & a sense of losing hope ..on the other end people have been suggesting that the men are usually either old or middle aged...aren't old people & middle aged people supposed to be wise or should I say having seen highs & lows in life shouldn't they have a better idea of life... I mean I can expect this from young teens highly emotional making unwise decisions...anyway what ever the reason might be i think at least the balconies should be made a bit higher in a city like Pattaya..if I was the owner of such a building rather than scaring rest of my tenants away or making them even more afraid of ghosts than they already are I would either make them a bit bigger or cover them up completely

Edited by Avrock

I'm certainly not taking the topic seriously enough to engage in detailed research... however the assertion that men come here searching for love, then fail, and then depression ensues, is not "a meaningless throw away". It's a sad but common story in Pattaya.

Maybe so, more likely it's a concept borrowed from a cheap romance novel and without proof of some sort, it remains a meaningless throw away line, an assumption or a WAG.

Actually though, I was more curious about the British part of your statement, it seemed to me that you had singled out British people for your story line and was just curious if you had any real data to support using Brits. as an example. And I'm not winding you up, I'm simply looking for data because whilst you aren't, I am engaged in research on the subject.

Maybe so, more likely it's a concept borrowed from a cheap romance novel and without proof of some sort, it remains a meaningless throw away line, an assumption or a WAG.

Actually though, I was more curious about the British part of your statement, it seemed to me that you had singled out British people for your story line and was just curious if you had any real data to support using Brits. as an example. And I'm not winding you up, I'm simply looking for data because whilst you aren't, I am engaged in research on the subject.

You think old guys, <deleted> over by Thai women, losing/spending all their money and losing hope is a "concept borrowed from a cheap romance novel"... and you need proof of such? I find that hard to believe.

You can add many other nationalities to the list... British guys were topical over the last page or so. I didn't mean to single them out.

You think old guys, f****ed over by Thai women, losing/spending all their money and losing hope is a "concept borrowed from a cheap romance novel"... and you need proof of such? I find that hard to believe.

You can add many other nationalities to the list... British guys were topical over the last page or so. I didn't mean to single them out.

Certainly it happens but I think it's far less often than the masses would have us believe, much of the chatter on this subject is derived from reading private dancer and blokes banter with his mates down the local.

A couple of weeks ago there was a similar debate about the number of Brits murdered in Thailand, a small group thought the number was really high whilst the UK government figures showed it was actually quite small, less than three murders in 2014 as I recall. Still some people wont have it, there were 368 British deaths in Thailand in 2015 so most of them must have been murdered they say, People tend to forget that people die of natural causes and of disease and illness and with such a large retired expat community here that number is quite high. People also conveniently overlook the high number of deaths caused by drowning and road traffic accidents, better they think to believe they were all murdered perhaps!

So yes, the expat being screwed over by his Thai wife, losing everything and deciding to jump off the balcony has a certain ring to it, it's more probable that the same person was probably intoxicated and forgot that balcony railing are lower here than in the west.

A lesson here to be learned from the medical profession who will rarely go looking for an exotic solution where a simple one exists.

Regarding smoking and balconies, if you don't have an ash tray and deposit the ash over the edge while smoking, and alcohol and poor railings are a factor, I can see why accidents may happen .Just a theory.

The topic is suicides, not accidents.

Regarding smoking and balconies, if you don't have an ash tray and deposit the ash over the edge while smoking, and alcohol and poor railings are a factor, I can see why accidents may happen .Just a theory.

But the two are almost impossible to distinguish, intent being the only differentiator. And if you were the RTP what would you do, write it up as suicide or suggest there's a potential safety problem with building regs., construction and many hotels in Thailand!

But the two are almost impossible to distinguish, intent being the only differentiator. And if you were the RTP what would you do, write it up as suicide or suggest there's a potential safety problem with building regs., construction and many hotels in Thailand!

Not impossible to distinguish if the jumper is 75 years old, has terminal cancer and leaves a suicide note. Can hardly put that down as an accident.

Not impossible to distinguish if the jumper is 75 years old, has terminal cancer and leaves a suicide note. Can hardly put that down as an accident.

Using your example I agree the balance of probability favours suicide, although it can never be known for certain since it could indeed have been an accident. And whilst there are a couple of cases that match the profile you set out, most don't, how do you suggest we classify them?

Using your example I agree the balance of probability favours suicide, although it can never be known for certain since it could indeed have been an accident. And whilst there are a couple of cases that match the profile you set out, most don't, how do you suggest we classify them?

You are suggesting that a 75 year old suffering terminal cancer and who leaves a suicide note still could be an accident? These aren't cases for Sherlock Holmes for crying out loud. I don't know how many cases match my description, and I doubt if you do either. When you can quote me the average age of suicides, also their state of health, physical and mental, financial situation etc, then you may have some facts to work with.

You are suggesting that a 75 year old suffering terminal cancer and who leaves a suicide note still could be an accident? These aren't cases for Sherlock Holmes for crying out loud. I don't know how many cases match my description, and I doubt if you do either. When you can quote me the average age of suicides, also their state of health, physical and mental, financial situation etc, then you may have some facts to work with.

Sorry, I missed the part about the suicide note! wub.png

EDIT TO ADD:

Finding data on the subject of British deaths abroad recently became harder because of the the way the FCO now reports such things, they now only count deaths abroad where the person had prior contact with the Embassy just before the death as described at the end of this report under the heading, "Report Findings".

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/363684/141013_British_Behaviour_Abroad_report_2014.pdf:

Edited by chiang mai

You think old guys, f****ed over by Thai women, losing/spending all their money and losing hope is a "concept borrowed from a cheap romance novel"... and you need proof of such? I find that hard to believe.

Certainly it happens but I think it's far less often than the masses would have us believe, much of the chatter on this subject is derived from reading private dancer and blokes banter with his mates down the local.

A couple of weeks ago there was a similar debate about the number of Brits murdered in Thailand, a small group thought the number was really high whilst the UK government figures showed it was actually quite small, less than three murders in 2014 as I recall. Still some people wont have it, there were 368 British deaths in Thailand in 2015 so most of them must have been murdered they say, People tend to forget that people die of natural causes and of disease and illness and with such a large retired expat community here that number is quite high. People also conveniently overlook the high number of deaths caused by drowning and road traffic accidents, better they think to believe they were all murdered perhaps!

So yes, the expat being screwed over by his Thai wife, losing everything and deciding to jump off the balcony has a certain ring to it, it's more probable that the same person was probably intoxicated and forgot that balcony railing are lower here than in the west.

A lesson here to be learned from the medical profession who will rarely go looking for an exotic solution where a simple one exists.

Of course people are dying of natural causes. The number of suiciders are only a small fraction of reported deaths.

What would be interesting to consider is this - of course we'll never know - Is the life expectancy of expats retiring in Thailand (all nationalities) higher or lower than it would have been back in their home countries.

I suspect it's lower, but don't ask me for figures.biggrin.png

Of course it would depend a lot on the cost, availability and quality of health care in the expats' home countries vs Thailand. I suspect the food quality and tropical heat shortens people's lives in Thailand, but that's just a vague theory. The heat makes people lazy and less likely to exercise or take care of themselves.

Of course people are dying of natural causes. The number of suiciders are only a small fraction of reported deaths.

What would be interesting to consider is this - of course we'll never know - Is the life expectancy of expats retiring in Thailand (all nationalities) higher or lower than it would have been back in their home countries.

I suspect it's lower, but don't ask me for figures.biggrin.png

Of course it would depend a lot on the cost, availability and quality of health care in the expats' home countries vs Thailand. I suspect the food quality and tropical heat shortens people's lives in Thailand, but that's just a vague theory. The heat makes people lazy and less likely to exercise or take care of themselves.

If you're lazy in your home country, chances are you'll be lazy here, and vice versa. Diet again depends on what you're used to, eat junk food at home, you'll do it here. So your theory is not only vague, but pure conjecture.