Microsoft opens online store on Lazada Thailand

ThaiLife

As Lazada seems to be a web site many people here use , I thought I would post this

Microsoft Thailand recently announced the official launch of its Microsoft Online Store on Lazada Thailand.

The store is envisioned to be a one-stop shop for Microsoft’s products and a destination for exclusive offers and deals, giving Thai consumers access to the full lineup of devices, software, and services, including Surface, Lumia smartphones, Windows 10-powered laptops, tablets, and 2-in-1 devices, various hardware accessories, and the Office productivity suite.

Following a similar partnership between Microsoft and Lazada in Malaysia last year, Thailand becomes the second country in the region to welcome the Microsoft Online Store on the Lazada platform.

“The launch of the Microsoft Online Store on Lazada is an important milestone for Microsoft Thailand as the explosion of social and mobile technology has enabled the era of online shopping in Thailand,” said Orapong Thien-Ngern, general manager for Microsoft Thailand.

“Partnering with Lazada gives Microsoft an opportunity to build on our customer-centric approach and deliver our products and services to Thai customers via a platform that is already familiar to them.”

The Microsoft Online Store opening comes just days before Lazada celebrated its fourth anniversary in Thailand. Lazada has seen rapid growth in the country since its launch in March 2012.

Link

http://www.telecomasia.net/content/microsoft-opens-online-store-lazada-thailand

Online shopping in Thailand is decades behind. Aside from a few large multinational shops there is almost no online market. Most shops have a very limited range of products, often the information on them is outdated and all that only if you even succeed in actually finding them online. And then there is the language issue.

Even big shops such as Lazada aren't ideal. I wanted to order a new Microsoft Lumia but with a delivery time of 1 week I emptied the shopping cart before I made the order. It's a joke really.

Where I am from there are hundreds if not thousands of web shops, all running modern websites connected to real-time stock information, with daily up-to-date prices, and knowledgeable staff. There are a few well-known centralized websites connecting all this information in customizable lists so you can get overviews of price, stock, delivery time and cost, and even shop review and reliability, all in one screen!

Like I said, Thailand is decades behind and if it has to depend on large international websites only for a bit of decent online shopping then I'm not optimistic. It is probably going to take a few more decades before the Thai people learn how to do it properly themselves.

Imagine each and every product sold in MBK and other big market places in Bangkok sold online, with prices, stock, location. They could close MBK and the vendors can sell from their homes instead. It would be a different Thailand for sure but it would save vendors a lot of money and customers hours if not days of searching for that one small wanted item. It's really not that hard to set up. It's the mindset here that keeps it from happening. I'm trying not to be judgmental here. Just pointing out what I believe are facts.

Online shopping in Thailand is decades behind. Aside from a few large multinational shops there is almost no online market. Most shops have a very limited range of products, often the information on them is outdated and all that only if you even succeed in actually finding them online. And then there is the language issue.

Even big shops such as Lazada aren't ideal. I wanted to order a new Microsoft Lumia but with a delivery time of 1 week I emptied the shopping cart before I made the order. It's a joke really.

Where I am from there are hundreds if not thousands of web shops, all running modern websites connected to real-time stock information, with daily up-to-date prices, and knowledgeable staff. There are a few well-known centralized websites connecting all this information in customizable lists so you can get overviews of price, stock, delivery time and cost, and even shop review and reliability, all in one screen!

Like I said, Thailand is decades behind and if it has to depend on large international websites only for a bit of decent online shopping then I'm not optimistic. It is probably going to take a few more decades before the Thai people learn how to do it properly themselves.

Imagine each and every product sold in MBK and other big market places in Bangkok sold online, with prices, stock, location. They could close MBK and the vendors can sell from their homes instead. It would be a different Thailand for sure but it would save vendors a lot of money and customers hours if not days of searching for that one small wanted item. It's really not that hard to set up. It's the mindset here that keeps it from happening. I'm trying not to be judgmental here. Just pointing out what I believe are facts.

The biggest issue is with delivering the goods.

No one in Thailand knows how to map read or give or follow directions.

Every time I've ordered something online we would get a phone call from a lost delivery driver,usually ending with my girlfriend telling him to look for the Farang waiting outside the Wat or some other ridiculous place.

Ok when you live upcountry with few expats,not so good in Bangkok or Pattaya lol.

Edited by stoneyboy

I have noticed pretty much all Thai websites I go to have problems. Loading, rendering, working. Compound this with them often choosing to only test against Chrome; Good luck if you want to use your browser of choice.

That being said, I've had decent service from Moxy (the whole experience to delivery with COD was great *except* when they have a product out of stock -- then they don't tell you and you can sit there for ages wondering where your stuff is.. they will delay the entire order if one item is out of stock. So after I order, I just talk to customer service to see if its in stock, then ask them to remove the ones that are out of stock).

I've also had fast service from BPMuscle and MuscleTechThailand (not that that is useful to most people). But being able to talk to someone on Line directly to resolve issue or ask questions is great. I never had this with western shops :)

WIth Moxy if in stock usually delivered in Bangkok Central within 1-3 days, and with BPMuscle /MuscleTech there's a guy who shows up with a motorbike the next day. So not everything is bad. (Note: It helps to speak Thai when talking to the delivery people who call to ask where you live... yes... addresses here are a mystery to all)

Thank you Jaybird, never heard of Moxy before. Always good to have alternatives especially as Lazada is turning into an Aliexpress!

Lazada used to be the cheapest so people put up with their crappy service....

I saved 1000thb on on 4000thb product ordering from eBay and it was delivered by DHL in 36hrs

They spend more on advertising now than customer experience and service so if I had shares in Lazada I'd sell them now!

Btw, a tip for Moxy:

1) Register an account with them and give them your correct phone number

2) Start ordering stuff and fill your basket but do NOT check-out

3) Wait for a day or so to get an SMS code for a coupon!

In a day or so, they will probably send you a code to your SMS for 15-20% off!. *THEN* you go checkout :)

You should continue to get these coupon codes until you ignore their web site for a couple weeks. When this happens, just fill a cart again and you will get a coupon code again. Just did this, and it appeared promptly on time. Guess I sussed their algorithm :)

But, you know, 17% off is 17% off. And their price before coupon is the same as Lazada/BP Muscle/etc. for what I sampled.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted in the news to day that ...

(Reuters) - Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd said on Tuesday it agreed to buy a controlling stake in online retailer Lazada for about $1 billion to expand its platform into Southeast Asia.

Alibaba would invest about $500 million in newly issued Lazada shares and acquire shares from shareholders of Lazada for a total of about $1 billion.

Lazada operates in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.

In a separate announcement, Britain's biggest supermarket operator Tesco Plc said it agreed to sell an 8.6 percent stake in Lazada to Alibaba for $129 million.

TL wai.gif

MBK fake junk not really a good analogy!