Ipl: Good For Pigmented Lesions And Skin Tightening?

fruittbatt

A friend wants to have a part-medical holiday in Bkk and CM. She was a smoker in her wasted youth (like so many of us!), and has marionette lines above her upper lip. She also has some age spots on her face which you'd never really notice as her skin is fair and she often wears make-up). My friend is 56, fair-skinned, and has firm clear skin (probably something to do with her healthy vegetarian diet and plenty of exercise!).

She has asked me to explore the IPL option for her spots and skin tightening. CM Ram does the treatment over a few weeks or more, and charges about 3000 baht a visit. To me this sounded fairly expensive, but I am a stranger to cosmetic procedures, so can't really judge.

I notice that Bumrungrad charges between 1000 and 10,000 baht per visit.

Has anyone had IPL treatment for either skin tightening or age-spots? If so can you advise whether it is effective?

If anyone has knowledge of prices or places which are competitive, I will pass on the info gratefully.

Edited by fruittbatt

I've had IPL and so have one of my nephews and my niece (in their cases, for acne scars). It needs at least a few treatments but gives very good results for spots, blotches, scars etc. It does NOT do anything to tighten. Afraid I don't know any place in CM but if they'll be in BKK, Apex Clinic or there's another less well known one in the Major Cineplex at Rachahoytin which I can give you the number of. The latter is my personal favorite because the doctor -- who trained in the US and speaks fluent English -- does it herself. At Apex technicians do it. Prices vary depending on the size of the area to be done. 3000 a pop if for the whole face is quite reasonable, I think I paid 20,000 baht for a series of 5 treatments.

For lines, Botox and/or filler. Dr. Nat at Apex is very good at Botox. She'll find though that costs here and in the West are pretty much the same, this is because most of the cost is for the drug itself which is patented. Same goes for the fillers.

Thermage (a new treatment useing radio frequency something or other) is often recommended for tightening. It does improve the overall tone of the skin but the effects are subtle and rather modest. It also hurts a LOT. I had it done twice and wound up getting a face lift anyway which is what I should have done in the first place.

Enjoy your friends visit!

Thanks Sheryl,

your clarification re tightening is very helpful. I will suggest my friend gets a price for Botox in Australia before deciding to have that done here.

Meanwhile the IPL sounds like the way to go for her age spots. The costs of the Apex and other clinic compare with Chiang Mai prices. I will pass on your recommendation, and would be very grateful for the Rachahoytin number if it is handy.

Thanks for good wishes re the visit: her first time outside Australia!

fruittbatt

Thanks Sheryl,

your clarification re tightening is very helpful. I will suggest my friend gets a price for Botox in Australia before deciding to have that done here.

Meanwhile the IPL sounds like the way to go for her age spots. The costs of the Apex and other clinic compare with Chiang Mai prices. I will pass on your recommendation, and would be very grateful for the Rachahoytin number if it is handy.

fruittbatt

Clinic's number is 02-617-2444. It is on the 3rd floor of the Major Cineplex compound on Paholytin and Rachaoytin, near Lad Prao. Forget the clinic's name (I've only seen it written in Thai) but the doctor is Dr. Prapai-Nalin, she also has hours at Phyathai 2 Hospital Skin Laser clinic Tuesdays and Sundays 10 - 4 which is near Victory Mionument but treatment there will probably cost a bit more than in her own clinic. I have the impression she opened her own clinic not too long ago and prices there may be negotiable.

If Phatyathai is more convenient, you could call for a price quote there, number is 02-617-2444 and ask for the skin laser clinic.

They usually recommend a series of 3-5 treatments a week apart, wil she be in town long enough?

Thanks Sheryl,

fruittbatt

Clinic's number is 02-617-2444. It is on the 3rd floor of the Major Cineplex compound on Paholytin and Rachaoytin, near Lad Prao. Forget the clinic's name (I've only seen it written in Thai) but the doctor is Dr. Prapai-Nalin, she also has hours at Phyathai 2 Hospital Skin Laser clinic Tuesdays and Sundays 10 - 4 which is near Victory Mionument but treatment there will probably cost a bit more than in her own clinic. I have the impression she opened her own clinic not too long ago and prices there may be negotiable.

If Phatyathai is more convenient, you could call for a price quote there, number is 02-617-2444 and ask for the skin laser clinic.

They usually recommend a series of 3-5 treatments a week apart, wil she be in town long enough?

Thanks for all that, Sheryl.

A. will be here for less than a month, so would fit in 3 treatments but no more. I'll give her all the info you've given me, and contact Dr. Prapai-Nalin if she decides to go ahead. I imagine A. would need to stay out of direct sun for the duration of the treatment, which might limit her options slightly, but I'm sure ingenuity will prevail.

Thanks again for your very comprehensive and helpful information.

fruittbatt.

• 3 months later...

Sheryl, I've dialled the no. that you have given to set up a consultation with Dr Prapai but it belong to a hospital and they were not able to give me her clinic no. at major cineplex.

Do you think you could furnish her clinic no. as I'm considering IPL myself?

Thank you.

Edited by ST888

Sheryl, I've dialled the no. that you have given to set up a consultation with Dr Prapai but it belong to a hospital and they were not able to give me her clinic no. at major cineplex.

Thank you.

02-511-5254 or 02-511-5594

Thank you.

02-511-5254 or 02-511-5594

Hi Sheryl, tk yr the no.

Btw, can I send u a private msg as I've got some queries & wld appreciate yr views?