Enlarged Prostate New Treatment.

Thailand J

There are farangs going to Delhi for this op ,about £900,but down to Chennai,which basically is a medical city alongside the actual city,it is being done for around £350,just been over to have prostate done starting at £175 ,cancelled it for this one,when Ill do it? maybe in few months time

Hopefully you'll consult a doctor and consider medical solutions before deciding something new must be better and you need to differentiate BPH from prostate cancer when considering the approach to treatment.

I started on Flomax a couple of months ago (in Thailand sold as Harnal OCAS once a day tablets). Almost immediate improvement and after the first month a big improvement. The only negative side effect I experienced was some fatigue the first week. No other problems. Now can sleep through the night with no visits to the loo or, at most, one visit if I consumed too much coffee and tea late at night.

Prostate artery embolization appears to be a safe and effective alternative to more traditional treatments for benign prostatic hyperplasia, according to two new studies.

"Although it's not going to replace surgery, it'll have a definite role," Bhaskar Somani, MD, from University Hospital in Southampton, United Kingdom, toldMedscape Medical News.

It might be a stop-gap measure, especially for young men, until they need surgery. "The results are very good and very promising," said Dr Somani before he presented results from his team's study here at the European Association of Urology 30th Annual Congress.

"Prostate artery embolization is a feasible and minimally invasive technique," said Giorgio Ivan Russo, MD, from the University of Catania in Italy, who presented his team's study of the procedure.

However, the procedure is associated with persistent symptoms at 1 year and "should be performed in very select patients," Dr Russo added.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/841963

• Like 2

Hopefully you'll consult a doctor and consider medical solutions before deciding something new must be better and you need to differentiate BPH from prostate cancer when considering the approach to treatment.

I started on Flomax a couple of months ago (in Thailand sold as Harnal OCAS once a day tablets). Almost immediate improvement and after the first month a big improvement. The only negative side effect I experienced was some fatigue the first week. No other problems. Now can sleep through the night with no visits to the loo or, at most, one visit if I consumed too much coffee and tea late at night.

Prostate artery embolization appears to be a safe and effective alternative to more traditional treatments for benign prostatic hyperplasia, according to two new studies.

"Although it's not going to replace surgery, it'll have a definite role," Bhaskar Somani, MD, from University Hospital in Southampton, United Kingdom, toldMedscape Medical News.

It might be a stop-gap measure, especially for young men, until they need surgery. "The results are very good and very promising," said Dr Somani before he presented results from his team's study here at the European Association of Urology 30th Annual Congress.

"Prostate artery embolization is a feasible and minimally invasive technique," said Giorgio Ivan Russo, MD, from the University of Catania in Italy, who presented his team's study of the procedure.

However, the procedure is associated with persistent symptoms at 1 year and "should be performed in very select patients," Dr Russo added.

For every negative notice pulled off the net ,could put another 10 (at least)in opposite direction The "persistent symptoms" were actually non-events in the scheme of things. I'm not taking drugs for this problem,taken them and a total waste of time.

Looks as a 30% reduction in prostate size is achieved in most circumstances,which is ideal

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..Worth considering medication-wise is Cardura XL (Doxazosin) as an alternative to Harnal which can/does affect dysfunction in a lot of cases.

Cardura XL is a 'fraction' of the cost of Harnal..worth considering too and has 'hypertension' lowering compounds as well...PSA tests support my changing from Harnal to Cardura....hope this assists!

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..Worth considering medication-wise is Cardura XL (Doxazosin) as an alternative to Harnal which can/does affect dysfunction in a lot of cases.

Cardura XL is a 'fraction' of the cost of Harnal..worth considering too and has 'hypertension' lowering compounds as well...PSA tests support my changing from Harnal to Cardura....hope this assists!

Thanks for info RodC,would that be Doxazosin 2mg ? This is what I am using. Was treated for prostrate cancer in UK...Hormone and 20 sessions of Radio Therapy10 years ago, no problems since,other than one trip to bathroom,in cool season(no sweating)in day.

• Like 1

Thanks for info RodC,would that be Doxazosin 2mg ? This is what I am using. Was treated for prostrate cancer in UK...Hormone and 20 sessions of Radio Therapy10 years ago, no problems since,other than one trip to bathroom,in cool season(no sweating)in day.

=========================

4mg daily and dysfunction a lot less..good luck!

For every negative notice pulled off the net ,could put another 10 (at least)in opposite direction The "persistent symptoms" were actually non-events in the scheme of things. I'm not taking drugs for this problem,taken them and a total waste of time.

Looks as a 30% reduction in prostate size is achieved in most circumstances,which is ideal

Hardly a negative review. "appears to be a safe and effective alternative to more traditional treatments" It tempers irrational exuberance.

Some things work well for some people and do nothing (or worse) for others. There are certainly many negative reviews for Flomax, which is why I was initially reluctant to try it, but I thought it was better to start out with something relatively simple before moving on to anything invasive, even minimally invasive, that was irreversible. Obviously Flomax works quite well for many men or its continued use would have dropped off. And there are numerous other medicines that might be more appropriate.

Given the short period of time it's been available outside of clinical trials, deciding the persistent symptoms were actually a non-event is pretty premature.

You can try Permixon,a french med available in Thailand before having an invasive method (around 2000b/month) .See a urologist for advice

Basically a saw palmetto herbal formulation.

May help with symptoms but that won't ever reduce the size of an enlarged prostate.

I am nto aware of anyplace doing this yet in Thailand.

It is very new, in fact there are still clinical trials in progress to establish its long-term efficacy and risk profile compared to other approaches.

With this or any other new approach, you really don't want to be among the first few procedures performed at a facility. There is a learning curve. So even when it is first done here I wouldn't recommend rushing to get it right way. It will also likely be reserved for patients in whom conservative treatment (medications) has failed.

Note that in the UK study, while adverse effects were usually minor, one-third of men undergoing the procedure did not improve. So it is not a surefire cure. Research is still underway to compare its results to TURP and also to get a better handle on which patients are most likely to benefit from it.

• Like 1

A concern I'd have about traveling to India even to a place that may be very experienced with this new procedure is that there would be a strong bias to do it even if it's not really the best choice for the specific case. I suppose you could consult with a Thai doctor first before traveling but would they really be qualified to have an opinion either way and the Indian doctor would be biased to do it as that's what you're there for. Also my understanding is there's a one week recovery period of home rest so I assume that means you wouldn't want to fly during their time.

• Like 1

Trip was not wasted even though Green Light prostate surgery awaited.. advised red light...colonoscopy 600baht,down the throat 1200 baht,heart echocardography tested..800 baht (3 years ago LVID borderline,this time 64%,just what is borderline?) pages of blood testing half hour with thyroid doc,underactive thyroid,x rays,23 skin blemishes blasted 600 baht,before/after bladder test urology doc , I sure do need that op advised live another 50 years,not bad for 89 year old sat the week out then downing beer at third of Thai prices 7 thousand via KL

good week anyway got loads of veterinary meds fraction of prices here

Trip was not wasted even though Green Light prostate surgery awaited.. advised red light...colonoscopy 600baht,down the throat 1200 baht,heart echocardography tested..800 baht (3 years ago LVID borderline,this time 64%,just what is borderline?) pages of blood testing half hour with thyroid doc,underactive thyroid,x rays,23 skin blemishes blasted 600 baht,before/after bladder test urology doc , I sure do need that op advised live another 50 years,not bad for 89 year old sat the week out then downing beer at third of Thai prices 7 thousand via KL

good week anyway got loads of veterinary meds fraction of prices here

Well, that's nice, but can you shed any light on the situation with this specific prostate procedure in India?

• 1 year later...

Did my own little research on this procedure. 

It appears to be quite challenging for the radiologist as he has to navigate a cobweb of arteries, the configuration of which varies from patient to patient. The main risk being the release of the pellets into the bloodstream supplying the bladder or the rectum, hence damaging these organs... scary.

Wondering I'd go to India to an unknown hospital for such a procedure. 

Hopital Claude Pompidou, in Paris, seem to have a good background in PAE though, probably plenty of places in US too.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a newspaper article in a UK newspaper today about prostate artery embolization. I'd post a link but it's behind a paywall.

It says “Currently the treatment is only available at 18 NHS centres, as part of research trials.” However it goes on to say it should be more generally available in the UK on the NHS within about two years. It also notes "The procedure is likely to cost the NHS around £2,500 per patient, in line with the costs of surgery, with possible savings from shorter hospital stays."

Has anyone heard anything recently about prostate artery embolization being available in Thailand?

On 4/9/2016 at 8:01 AM, loppylugs1 said:

It took me eight months to jump over my own shadow and visit the local hospital three days ago.

They found a few important blood related issues, did an X-ray where I saw an extreme problem at my spine after a guy had almost killed me in an accident.

My next appointment is on the 30th, where they told me to make a "cancer blood test." If anybody has such a problem it's always better to see a doctor fist, even when it's a sort of inconvenient. 

I can only hope that the blood test isn't positive. Does anybody know how and what they test? Are they looking for cells that aren't ordinary ones? Thanks. 

Hopefully it is a PSA as pretty much all other blood tests it migjt be are not suitable as screening tools (some hospitals still do them becsuse from their point of view all the resulting false positives are a plus as they lead to expensive unnecessary procedures).

Find out what the test is and if other than PSA do not agree unless they can give you a specific reason such as other abnormal finding.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Hopefully it is a PSA as pretty much all other blood tests it migjt be are not suitable as screening tools (some hospitals still do them becsuse from their point of view all the resulting false positives are a plus as they lead to expensive unnecessary procedures).

But Sheryl my understanding, so far, was that the PSA was acceptably sensitive but not selective at all. Hence the debate about its use for systematic screening...