An enjoyable Songkran afternoon!

FolkGuitar

I like to get out for one day of Songkran merry-making, and today was it!

I left the house at 10:30, walked down Huay Kaew Road and along the north side of the moat until Chiang Puak Gate. Pretty active even at that early hour. I thought I'd get all the way to Thapae Gate before getting very wet, but I was mistaken. I turned into the Old City, sticking to the smaller sois for the shade and to avoid the moat water. Reached the plaza in front of the gate to find it shoulder to shoulder with laughing people, Thais and visitors alike, all very busy getting each other wet. My usual lunch restaurant had every table full by noon, with a full mix of Thais, western tourists, and Chinese. The waiters had to constantly remind the Chinese tourists not to throw water inside the restaurant.... Other than that, it was a pretty well mannered crowd.

After lunch, and a wet stroll along the inside of the moat, I came to the conclusion that a LOT more ice was being used this year. I can't say that I enjoy getting a bucket of ice water down my back, but better than than moat water, I guess. But the sounds of laughter outweighed the gasps of cold, and everyone, young and old, seemed to be enjoying Songkran. Perhaps it was the early hour, or perhaps the lack (or reduction) of alcohol consumed, but it seemed to me that there was less 'violence' in the water being thrown. In four hours of watching, I never saw anyone jump out in front of a motorbike and 'hurl' water full into the driver's face. I'm sure it went on somewhere, but I didn't see any of that this year.

I saw a lot of the high-pressure 'tube' guns being used... those long, thin power-piston single shot hand-held water cannons that have been outlawed for the past three years... I saw a lot of pickup trucks with outlawed barrels of water in the back. As far as 'inappropriate dress' was concerned... only the farangs were running around in bathing suits, the guys without shirts, the girls in bikini tops. Personally, I think it's fine, but I guess the government doesn't. I DID see quite a few young Thai women wearing 'traditional' Thai-style dresses, looking lovely but uncomfortable when wet...

Lots of vendors selling a lot food. BBQ's set up every few meters along the moat. I guess "chicken flavored with klong water' is a big seller. 'Sprayed Meatballs' seem popular too. But after a couple of hours, I figured I'd had enough for this year. ducked back into the smaller sois and wandered back home, there to dry off for another year, having blessed and been blessed by this years Songkran holiday.

Happy New Year, Thailand!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the area around Kad Suan Kaew. Lots of smaller kids having a ball, and adults taking care not to overdo the squirting.

They sure like sneaking up behind you and letting loose with a small bucket of water! I'll go back for a repeat in a few hours.

Heaven help any open van or pickup which slows down in front of KSK. There is a well-armed posse out the front!!

Sounds like the area around Kad Suan Kaew. Lots of smaller kids having a ball, and adults taking care not to overdo the squirting.

They sure like sneaking up behind you and letting loose with a small bucket of water! I'll go back for a repeat in a few hours.

Heaven help any open van or pickup which slows down in front of KSK. There is a well-armed posse out the front!!

Be careful when you leave your building... There are several member of the Lollipop Guild on the front steps just waiting for unwary passers-by...

I can’t remember the last time I got wet on Songkran. I would never suggest others stop throwing water and feel it is up to me to avoid putting myself in the path of someone else’s fun. Still, I manage to walk my dog a few times each day by avoiding the main road here in our village.

"only the farangs were running around in bathing suits, the guys without shirts, the girls in bikini tops. Personally, I think it's fine, but I guess the government doesn't."

Yes I saw this on linked off of CM108 today

Guy caught near Thapae I think

Article said can be fined up to 500 baht but this one was 100 baht

Link

I like to get out for one day of Songkran merry-making, and today was it!

I left the house at 10:30, walked down Huay Kaew Road and along the north side of the moat until Chiang Puak Gate. Pretty active even at that early hour. I thought I'd get all the way to Thapae Gate before getting very wet, but I was mistaken. I turned into the Old City, sticking to the smaller sois for the shade and to avoid the moat water. Reached the plaza in front of the gate to find it shoulder to shoulder with laughing people, Thais and visitors alike, all very busy getting each other wet. My usual lunch restaurant had every table full by noon, with a full mix of Thais, western tourists, and Chinese. The waiters had to constantly remind the Chinese tourists not to throw water inside the restaurant.... Other than that, it was a pretty well mannered crowd.

After lunch, and a wet stroll along the inside of the moat, I came to the conclusion that a LOT more ice was being used this year. I can't say that I enjoy getting a bucket of ice water down my back, but better than than moat water, I guess. But the sounds of laughter outweighed the gasps of cold, and everyone, young and old, seemed to be enjoying Songkran. Perhaps it was the early hour, or perhaps the lack (or reduction) of alcohol consumed, but it seemed to me that there was less 'violence' in the water being thrown. In four hours of watching, I never saw anyone jump out in front of a motorbike and 'hurl' water full into the driver's face. I'm sure it went on somewhere, but I didn't see any of that this year.

I saw a lot of the high-pressure 'tube' guns being used... those long, thin power-piston single shot hand-held water cannons that have been outlawed for the past three years... I saw a lot of pickup trucks with outlawed barrels of water in the back. As far as 'inappropriate dress' was concerned... only the farangs were running around in bathing suits, the guys without shirts, the girls in bikini tops. Personally, I think it's fine, but I guess the government doesn't. I DID see quite a few young Thai women wearing 'traditional' Thai-style dresses, looking lovely but uncomfortable when wet...

Lots of vendors selling a lot food. BBQ's set up every few meters along the moat. I guess "chicken flavored with klong water' is a big seller. 'Sprayed Meatballs' seem popular too. But after a couple of hours, I figured I'd had enough for this year. ducked back into the smaller sois and wandered back home, there to dry off for another year, having blessed and been blessed by this years Songkran holiday.

Happy New Year, Thailand!

Riveting !!

I had an enjoyable Songkran afternoon too.. Was by myself so went for Loy Kroh again, I can do other parts with the Mrs and kids tomorrow.

I noticed far fewer trucks with big barrels in the back. The ones that had them seemed a bit smaller. Hoping tomorrow there will be more, after the ones that were out today showed that it was just fine to do so.

Anyway in summary it was good..

The usual actually: the good, the bad and the ugly.

It may be the perfect metaphor for Thailand itself, which has a way of being charming, horrific, insane, beautiful, ugly and fun in really quick succession. It's a melange I find appealing, and it's on full display during Songkran.

Love it. wink.png

post-64232-0-48417700-1460552516_thumb.j

post-64232-0-54718100-1460552615_thumb.j

post-64232-0-47975500-1460552614_thumb.j

post-64232-0-54358300-1460552611_thumb.j

post-64232-0-38231700-1460552610_thumb.j

post-64232-0-67171200-1460552518_thumb.j

post-64232-0-62760300-1460552616_thumb.j

post-64232-0-49368500-1460552612_thumb.j

post-64232-0-56553000-1460552613_thumb.j

post-64232-0-46317300-1460552617_thumb.j

post-64232-0-27008400-1460552792_thumb.j

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Wonder if you'll still feel the same in a weeks time when it's still going on, but, the novelty has worn off.

Thank God it's only for two nights and a single day where I live.

Watcha talkin bout? ;) It'll be done on Friday evening. Sadly.

Nothing going on anymore on Saturday.

(Unless you're thinking of the Pattaya forum? (19th is the main day there and it tends to drag on) Especially mobile app-users seem to get lost once in a while on a different forum from what they think it is..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I had an enjoyable Songkran afternoon too.. Was by myself so went for Loy Kroh again, I can do other parts with the Mrs and kids tomorrow.

I noticed far fewer trucks with big barrels in the back. The ones that had them seemed a bit smaller. Hoping tomorrow there will be more, after the ones that were out today showed that it was just fine to do so.

It may be the perfect metaphor for Thailand itself, which has a way of being charming, horrific, insane, beautiful, ugly and fun in really quick succession. It's a melange I find appealing, and it's on full display during Songkran.

Love it. wink.png

attachicon.gifGOPR0668s.JPG

attachicon.gif5.JPG

attachicon.gif6.JPG

attachicon.gif9.JPG

attachicon.gif99.JPG

attachicon.gifGOPR0690.JPG

attachicon.gif4.JPG

attachicon.gif8.JPG

attachicon.gif7.JPG

attachicon.gif2.JPG

attachicon.gif3.JPG

Thats my ice cream lady very good coconut

>>I like to get out for one day of Songkran merry-making, and today was it!

Happy New Year, Thailand!<<

NnOTE TO YOU ,I wandered lonely as a cloud .You need a wife or boyfriend ASAP .

Edited by anto

Wonder if you'll still feel the same in a weeks time when it's still going on, but, the novelty has worn off.

Watcha talkin bout? wink.png It'll be done on Friday evening. Sadly.

Nothing going on anymore on Saturday.

(Unless you're thinking of the Pattaya forum? (19th is the main day there and it tends to drag on) Especially mobile app-users seem to get lost once in a while on a different forum from what they think it is..

Another miss informed person who thinks songram goes on and on in Chiang Mai. It last3 days maybe the odd idiot day after but the Thais have to get back to work. You can always spot the non Chiang Mai resident carring on about the lenght of our songram

It's been fifteen years of doing the same thing; one day spent walking around enjoying the crowds, another 2 spent around the house. The novelty hasn't worn off yet. Do you really think it will?

NnOTE TO YOU ,I wandered lonely as a cloud .You need a wife or boyfriend ASAP .

I guess we see things as we are, not as they are. Nothing lonely about playing together with thousands of happy people. It would only be lonely standing apart from them, and watching them, not being involved, but wishing you could be. And thanks, but I've been married for the past 21 years to the same delightful woman. I'm looking forward to the next 21 years together.

>>but I've been married for the past 21 years to the same delightful woman. I'm looking forward to the next 21 years together.<<...Glad for you then ,whether she be Thai or Westerner .

"....As far as 'inappropriate dress' was concerned... only the farangs were running around in bathing suits, the guys without shirts, the girls in bikini tops. Personally, I think it's fine, but I guess the government doesn't. I DID see quite a few young Thai women wearing 'traditional' Thai-style dresses, looking lovely but uncomfortable when wet..."

i guess you didn't see the photos of the Thai women at Taphae dressed in see-through white clothing with no bras and wearing g-strings that was posted on facebook? funny thing, apparently the government got so many complaints that by evening the photos had been pulled by FB.

it can be fun for kids - it's not all fatties and boobs!

(from last year)

For me, that's what Songkran is all about - watching the little ones have fun. On our walk yesterday we came across a giant paddling pool with about 12 kids aged between 5 and 10. We spent about 15 minutes with them. Allowing them (particularly the younger ones) get us then getting them back. I was going to jump into the pool with them but thought better of it. We had great fun. And about 20 farang couples just walked on by and totally ignored the squealing kids.

I suppose it would be no good if we were all the same.

Love it. wink.png

its official, there is nobody attractive in chiang mai.

We had a lovely few hours. We went out at about midday, bought a little water gun (still got the small bucket from last year) and slowly made our way to the One Way Bar near Chiang Mai Gate. It was great fun apart from when we were crossing the moat - too many people, too much noise. Had a couple of drinks, met up with a lot of friends and headed back at 4 o'clock. Stuck to the small sois and little alleyways as much as we could where it was the little ones playing and not so many farangs.

Big thank you to the Brit who blasted me in the face with a big water gun at point blank range - I put on my best Miss Jean Brody and asked him if he thought it was appropriate to aim for people's faces. He apologised and probably (hopefully) had a lot of fun for the rest of the day aiming at chests or stomachs.

Yes its great for kids a great way to teach them to waste water when they become adults.

Every Silver lining has a dark cloud just waiting for it... especially in ThaiVisa.

Do you feel cheated mr folk that you can't get on your steed for a bike ride.

Nope. Not at all. :)

I'm jealous. you seem to get so much enjoyment of life having so little.

Not everyone has a perfect life. Some of us just manage to live what we have perfectly.

Yes its great for kids a great way to teach them to waste water when they become adults.

Every Silver lining has a dark cloud just waiting for it... especially in ThaiVisa.

Nope. Not at all. smile.png

Not everyone has a perfect life. Some of us just manage to live what we have perfectly.

Folkguitar, I truly enjoyed your story, but only to once again having to read all those negative & smart a$$ comments from grumpy Farangs in Thailand. Sad really. Why is it not possible to read through a single thread here without facing negativity, especially one which starts with "... an enjoyable! TV ... the hub for unhappy Farangs, they can't help themselves. It's getting worse by the day.

Edited by TG911

Folkguitar, I truly enjoyed your story, but only to once again having to read all those negative & smart <deleted> comments from grumpy Farangs in Thailand. Sad really. Why is it not possible to read through a single thread here without facing negativity, especially one which starts with "... an enjoyable! TV ... the hub for unhappy Farangs, they can't help themselves. It's getting worse by the day.

Songkran is a joyous holiday.

Holidays can be tough for unhappy people. They see so many folks of all different age-groups playing together, laughing together, and doing so day after day... and it hurts them. So they lash out. You see the very same names again and again dumping on any thread that expresses pleasure, happiness, or enjoyment of life in Thailand. Many of them moved to Thailand with stary-eyed dreams of idyllic retirement only to discover that they are just as sad and lonely here as they were back home. That hurts. That's reality giving them a slap upside the head. And as 'misery loves company,' they need to prove to the world that it's just not possible to enjoy life here in Thailand. That's their own reality. There is no comprehension that it's not everyone elses' reality.

Songkran is a joyous event for millions of people all over Thailand. Visitors plan their vacations just to be able to experience Songkran in Chiang Mai. They love it. Those of us who have lived here for years have often grown tired of it, but still understand that this is our feelings that have grown 'weary' of three or four days of merry-making. One day is enough for us, or in some cases, just a few hours. But... It's a HOLIDAY! It's not a punishment.

The unhappy, negative people have to deal with living within their own private hells. It's their problem, not ours.

I have great time at SongKran. I cleanse the Buddha statues in the morning. Then I have 3 carefree days in the spirit of cleansing to clean the house. I've been n Thailand for 12 years and in at least 3 of those years I have had my glasses broken from water tossed and if i can't wear my glasses I cant see the girls in wet T-shirts so what's the point -- so I arrange for my own private wet T-shirt viewing at the house at least I did when I lived more near the center of town.

So if I'm a kill-joy I'm a happy kill joy and the girls are funded to go visit and make some tambon with their families. The one really bad accident I had at SongKran being knocked off my motorbike by two -point-blank buckets of water was close but as it did not require a trip to the hospital so all is good, nyet?

Edited by JLCrab

Had a fantastic day getting wet yesterday a good few beers then the temple run followed by getting wet again. Will do it all again today minus the beer and again tm with the beer. Great fun all good humoured and not a bikini/budgie smuglers in sight great.

Nope. Not at all. :)

Did you not enjoy your childhood or just forget how you enjoyed yourself then, please go an enjoy Songkran pretend you kid again