Thai massage causing pain and impingement... Good osteopaths around?

jackspade

I went to a random, hole-in-the-wall Thai massage the other day in the Lad Phrao area. Worst idea ever.

The therapist (who I will now refer to as the rapist) utterly strained my neck. The first couple of days after, I had moderate pain in my neck, especially when turning my head or lying down/sitting up. I had to take medication to ease the pain before sleep.

For the past few days, the pain has subsided substantially, but remains to some extent. I have limited freedom of movement in my neck, been unable to turn my head to either side without pain in the left rear part of my neck. I don't know if it is a tendon or a tight muscle. I assume it's a tendon that has been stretched, but not 100% on that.

Also, I went to the gym yesterday and experienced LOTS and LOTS of impingement in my neck and left shoulder during exercises where I previously had no impingement.

Can any one recommend me a course of action to take? Perhaps a good hospital to go to? Leaving a bad review on the massage place?

Edited by jackspade

When I used to get Thai massages (I've stopped now as I think they're too risky for older people) I never let them touch my neck. Well, that's after a few experiences with what they do. Indeed, what percentage of them are properly trained in health matters and how often are people asked about health conditions before the "therapy" here?

Be very careful about Thai massage. Many so called masseurs have practically no experience & can cause more harm than good. Good luck! Best to see a real doctor & to do some real physio.

For the most part, quacks the lot them.

Best avoided.

PS not mentioned, if you dont speak at least elementary Thai, avoid these places,

Edited by rgs2001uk

I just go for the foot massages these days. Also had problems with massages, many people have. I even had a women forcing her elbows onto my shins, that's bone onto bone! What possible benefit could that give I wondered.

There's an osteopath in Ari who is pretty good. I think his name is something like Philip Hambly, and I think its the Wellness centre. Went there earlier in the year, he practiced in London for 25 years plus...he knows what he is doing.

Edited by Deserted

Interesting post. I have stopped getting most type of massages here.

I got a Thai massage last year and had back pain for one month. Could not sleep as the lady dug her fingers/palm into my spine and bruised several vertebrae causing severe pain.

I also got a foot massage about 6 weeks ago and the lady stretched me at the end, pulling on my achilles heel/tendon causing a strain. I could hardly walk for a week. Just now I am feeling better.

Many of the people here are not properly trained it seems.

Or maybe I am just too old for this S.