polyurethane insulation 1" or 2" inch?

Kunjay

After a bit or online (forum) research it seems this type of insulation is the best for Thailand. We recently got a quote for 480bt sqm based on 2' inch (double thickness).

Initially they said 1" inch was sufficient but then went on to say as Thailand is getting hotter each year therefor we're better off getting 2" inch at obviously double the price.

My question is do you think their taking the piss or do they have a fair point and what woud you do?

Also any other comments regarding other types of insulation would be welcome as we havent yet commited to plyurethane.

Cheers

Is this for an existing house, or for new construction?

if the latter, you might want to consider using Gyproc Thermaline for your ceilings instead: http://www.gyproc.co.th/en/gyproc-thermaline/

yes new construction.

I'm about to have a look at the link, thanks!

Just had a look, probably not something i'd consider, would prefer polyurethane.

I guess really the reason for my post is the thickness.

Any examples of ployurethane ceiling/roof insulation and thickness would be good.

Sprayed on or block?

I can tell you that SIP 3" is what is used for ice storage. I can also tell you that if it is sprayed onto the roof tile, etc, you will never have a leak. Of course if it is not directly on the ceiling of your rooms it is a waste. The attic/garret will always be hot unless very well ventilated and then..................

I also found that in Miami FL, USA, recommended R value on the ceiling should be 30-45. That's a lot of foam at 5 per inch.

Edited by Gonsalviz

We have just installed a white colourbond roof with 25mm of PU foam, we also have a blue metal roof in our current kitchen area where I got a radiant barrier installed. These are the temperature readings for the 2 different roofs taken about 10 minutes apart. All the readings are from the underside of the roof or insulation.

As you can see the radiant barrier is the best value for money at a little over 1,000 baht for 72 metres, however it has no effect on sound reduction. So far I haven't been present under our new roof but understand that the PU will reduce sound by a lot.

Blue metal roof 54 degrees

Silver foil under 34

Colour bond. 41 degrees

1" Pu foam. 34 degrees

These pictures show a different time and are 61degrees and 37 off the underside of the blue metal roof and radiant barrier

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/download/file.php?id=25616&mode=view

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/download/file.php?id=25617&mode=view

Edited by sometimewoodworker