PR for my soon to be wife living in Australia?

I have a girlfriend who comes from Thailand whom I plan to marry soon. We met in July last year in Sydney and have been in a romantic relationship since October 2015. She is currently on a student Visa and we are currently living together.

Her Visa class is Student (temporary) (class TU) and it expires in December 2017.

We would like to do it as soon as we can so she can get a decent job. She has only been able to get cash money jobs so far and her Visa only allows her to work 20 hours per a week. At her current job she is only earning $15 per hour as a waitress.

How would we go about getting her a PR? Even linking a thread that applies to my situation would help.

Edited by Majestros

Yes, basically you will need to marry her. She can then apply for a permanent visa before her student visa expires. Note, however, I am not sure if she can still do this in Australia. Assuming she can apply in Australia, she will get a bridging visa until they make a decision on her 'permanent' visa. You need to be married for 2 years before she is confirmed a permanent residen

Hi mate I am applying for a migration visa for my wife as we both live in Thailand and wont to open a business back in Australia. How we have payed the $7000.00 dollars and 47sp , 40sp and the 888 forms this was all done dec last year we got an email back about six weeks later saying that it would take anything from 9 to 12 mouths before they would even get to start processing it so up set about that as all the paper work will be out of date by the time they start. all I can say is good luck...Stewy

. Note, however, I am not sure if she can still do this in Australia. Assuming she can apply in Australia, she will get a bridging visa until they make a decision on her 'permanent' visa. You need to be married for 2 years before she is confirmed a permanent residen

I remember a condition not allowing the application for PR is she is in Oz because if "no" she might just become "invisible" here. Something like that. Edited by Jing Joe

I applied for PR for my Indonesian wife on 30thJune 2015. I used a Migration Agent in Australia to file the application. I was told by the Agent that it would take 6 to 12 months to get a response.

We heard nothing for 9 months then in March this year we received a letter that my wife had been issued with a provisional visa.

• Like 1

I applied for PR for my Indonesian wife on 30thJune 2015. I used a Migration Agent in Australia to file the application. I was told by the Agent that it would take 6 to 12 months to get a response.

We heard nothing for 9 months then in March this year we received a letter that my wife had been issued with a provisional visa.

Was this in Sydney, if so which agent did you go to?

So not yet together 6 months and next step marriage. Good luck on many levels.

Yeah it does seem pretty quick but I'm 100% sure about this one. I did live in Thailand for a year so I know what all the fake Thais just looking for a better life are about, she isn't one of those.

. Note, however, I am not sure if she can still do this in Australia. Assuming she can apply in Australia, she will get a bridging visa until they make a decision on her 'permanent' visa. You need to be married for 2 years before she is confirmed a permanent residen

I remember a condition not allowing the application for PR is she is in Oz because if "no" she might just become "invisible" here. Something like that.

Invisible? What does that mean?

So not yet together 6 months and next step marriage. Good luck on many levels.

Yeah it does seem pretty quick but I'm 100% sure about this one. I did live in Thailand for a year so I know what all the fake Thais just looking for a better life are about, she isn't one of those.

Time will tell.

Thai Visa is littered with claims that "my girl is different".

Good luck.

Think carefully before spending thousands on a migration / visa agent. At the end of the day you and GF have to organise all the paperwork, translations of doco etc,. Unless you're not comfortable with bureaucracy, stat dec's etc, do the application yourself. For the meantime the link below should help.

https://www.border.gov.au/FormsAndDocuments/Documents/1127.pdf

BTW don't feed the trolls.

• Like 1

She's only earning $15 an hour? In the US she'd be earning $7. Things must be mighty expensive in Australia. In Thailand,

15 THB an hour! Your marrying a Thai, so I would wait a minimum of 3 years before marrying!

Edited by tomwct

She's only earning $15 an hour? In the US she'd be earning $7. Things must be mighty expensive in Australia. In Thailand,

15 THB an hour! Your marrying a Thai, so I would wait a minimum of 3 years before marrying!

Most people in Oz endeavour to avoid being a member of the working poor as happens in the US. However A$15 an hour is poor pay by Oz standards due to cost of living.

In Oz A$15 per hour cash in hand (though illegal) is average for part time work for students. Unfortunately many foreign and Oz students must accept the hourly rate otherwise unlikely to get a job. When finishing Uni more than a few students go to a government agency for back pay, holiday pay and superannuation which can amount to thousands of dollars & employer fined.

FYI the median salary for the first job after Uni graduation is approx A$57k p.a.

Personally I have been married with a hard working & loving Thai for 20 years, I find comments such as yours tedious.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Most people in Oz endeavour to avoid being a member of the working poor as happens in the US. However A$15 an hour is poor pay by Oz standards due to cost of living.

In Oz A$15 per hour cash in hand (though illegal) is average for part time work for students. Unfortunately many foreign and Oz students must accept the hourly rate otherwise unlikely to get a job. When finishing Uni more than a few students go to a government agency for back pay, holiday pay and superannuation which can amount to thousands of dollars & employer fined.

FYI the median salary for the first job after Uni graduation is approx A$57k p.a.

Personally I have been married with a hard working & loving Thai for 20 years, I find comments such as yours tedious.

We don't have working poor in the states. They just live off the governments handouts, but now I understand why the Auto Manufacturers pulled out!

Thank you very much

Whatever you do, make sure you get her to sign a prenup

I'm pretty sure prenups don't mean much in Australia, I hear they don't really protect you.

They're still not legislated, but a court 'may' take a prenup into account, provided it's seen to be 'fair' to both parties, whatever that means.

My understanding is that usually a 'PR Visa' is not granted as the first option.

A 'TR Visa' (Temporary Resident) is the norm.

Marriage or Defacto is irrelevant, it's the time of the proven relationship that is important. It's a 'Partner Visa' not a 'Marriage Visa'.

'PR' comes 2 years after 'TR', unless there are Aussie kids involved.

But I'm rusty on this and happy to be corrected.

I remember a condition not allowing the application for PR if she is in Oz because if "no" she might just become "invisible" here. Something like that.
"Disappear" into the woodwork and live here illegally. They usually get caught after x amount of time.

I remember a condition not allowing the application for PR if she is in Oz because if "no" she might just become "invisible" here. Something like that.
"Disappear" into the woodwork and live here illegally. They usually get caught after x amount of time.

As previously stated, can apply for a spouse visa onshore if 8503 No Further Stay condition is not applied to the current visa.

You should also check whether her visa has a condition stating that she cannot apply for any other visas in Australia. My wife had a Thai girlfriend who went to Australia on a three month tourist visa last year which had no such condition. She met an Australian, got married and has successfully applied for her permanent visa from Australia. She is now in the process of bringing her Thai son to Australia.

You should also check whether her visa has a condition stating that she cannot apply for any other visas in Australia. My wife had a Thai girlfriend who went to Australia on a three month tourist visa last year which had no such condition. She met an Australian, got married and has successfully applied for her permanent visa from Australia. She is now in the process of bringing her Thai son to Australia.

Please don't take too seriously what I said about not being in Oz when they make the PR decision because that was 11 years ago now and things always change. This sounds better info above and always go by the embassy rules?

It still seems logical for the authorities to safeguard against those who might disappear but good luck with that and more importantly; you partner for life.

As a mate of mine says; "when its good its good".

Edited by Jing Joe

The agent was in Brisbane and had previously handled many applications for my friends.

I agree with the comment that you don't need an agent as you can do it yourself. All the agent does is makes sure that the application is as close to perfect as possible.

• Like 1

She's educated so she wouldn't be on 15 THB an hour and yes Australia is very expensive, especially sydney

I am sorry to say there are a lot of people earning less than $15.00 per hour especially in the restaurant industry without any of the extras like super or holiday pay or penalty rates. One of the reasons we gave up with our restaurants in Sydney - you can't compete when your competition is paying wages like that . If you don't want to work for wages/conditions like that there are many others who will .

I am sorry to say there are a lot of people earning less than $15.00 per hour especially in the restaurant industry without any of the extras like super or holiday pay or penalty rates. One of the reasons we gave up with our restaurants in Sydney - you can't compete when your competition is paying wages like that . If you don't want to work for wages/conditions like that there are many others who will .

She has knocked back many jobs she has applied for because they were paying only $10 to $12 per hour

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk