Immigration & Extended Holiday This Week?

I know that tomorrow (Thursday) is a national Holiday, but my girlfriend has said that it has been extended? For me that means an overstay as my visa runs out on the 7th, and I was going to get a 30day extension. Is it still 500baht a day on overstay?

As the immigration office is closed when your permit to stay expires you should be able to apply for the extension on the first day they re-open without being charged an overstay.

• Like 1

I was at immigration in bangkok today and was told any immigration on the 10th only would be OK with no penalty

Thanks a lot, that has put my mind at rest somewhat. However it should be a free-for-all come Monday blink.png

I was at immigration in bangkok today and was told any immigration on the 10th only would be OK with no penalty

Thanks a lot, that has put my mind at rest somewhat. However it should be a free-for-all come Monday blink.png

Busy for sure but don't go on Monday as they are closed too. First day open is Tuesday 10th.

For me that means an overstay as my visa runs out on the 7th, and I was going to get a 30day extension.

If your permission to stay (not the visa) runs out on the 7th (a Saturday when immigration offices are closed) you could have gone in at least a week before then to get an extension. You don't lose anything by doing it early and it may help to avoid such last minute panic and the scrum you'll find at immigrations on the day they open following holiday(s).

Busy for sure but don't go on Monday as they are closed too. First day open is Tuesday 10th.

Exactly, on Monday the Royal Ploughing Ceremony will be held. It appears as the government is treating itself to a 5 days break....wai2.gif

For me that means an overstay as my visa runs out on the 7th, and I was going to get a 30day extension.

If your permission to stay (not the visa) runs out on the 7th (a Saturday when immigration offices are closed) you could have gone in at least a week before then to get an extension. You don't lose anything by doing it early and it may help to avoid such last minute panic and the scrum you'll find at immigrations on the day they open following holiday(s).

Yep my fault, I knew today was a holiday and only found out about the extended holiday from my gf.

you could have gone in at least a week before then to get an extension

Thereby losing a week of potential stay.

I get your point and if I'd know there was a holiday I would have gone last week, but as I don't work things like public holidays are not something I'm aware of.

Exactly, on Monday the Royal Ploughing Ceremony will be held. It appears as the government is treating itself to a 5 days break....wai2.gif

Which holidays in your country of origin should be cancelled to prevent the "government" from treating itself to a break ?

Grow up !

I get your point and if I'd know there was a holiday I would have gone last week, but as I don't work things like public holidays are not something I'm aware of.

How would you have "lost" a week of potential stay ?

Nonsense.

Extensions are ADDED to the end of a current period of stay.

Calender's are easy to look at and Thailand is not the only country which enjoys public holidays.

Nonsense.

Calender's are easy to look at and Thailand is not the only country which enjoys public holidays.

No extensions are added from the day they are given.

If your visa expires is due to expire on the 30th of May and you go in on the 1st of May for the extension, you get an extension from the 1st of May, not from the 30th of May.

Nonsense.

-------------------

I don't know about you, but I don't look at calendars. I don't work so official holidays mean nothing to me. Everyday is a holiday.