Ever bought cheap hair care products at a Thai market? Here's what you are really getting

Ever bought cheap hair care products at a Thai market? Here's what you are really getting

yy.jpg
Image: Manager Online

SARABURI:-- Have you ever walked in a Thai market and seen bottles of well known brands of shampoo, hair conditioner and shower cream going cheap? Big bottles for 89 baht.

Ever compared the prices to those in the big stores and not been able to resist when the seller says they are cheap because they came direct from the factory?

Well these pictures show what you are getting for your money. A gloopy concoction thrown together in a backstreet house and stirred with an old wooden oar in a grubby bucket, reports Manager Online.

No matter whether it is Dove, Clear, Head and Shoulders, Pantene, Sunsilk or L'oreal it is all the same oily mixture put into old bottles bought from recyclers who collect such things.

Then given the "professional" touch of plastic covering sealed with heat treatment from an old hair dryer.

Still want to buy?

The pictures of the fake products factory in a house in Tha Maprang district of Saraburi were posted on Facebook under the name of Rich Infinity. They are thought to emanate from a police investigator.

There is thought to be a husband and wife team involved in the scam and police raided the house following complaints from the companies who own the copyright to the real products. The homemade cosmetic team are believed to have been out at the time of the raid.

Posters online had a field day relating their anecdotes about being enticed to buy such cheap products in markets.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-09

Ok, like anyone really, really thought for a moment that they're getting an FDA approved product

coming out of a factory supervised by health officials, luckily, I don't have hair anymore, but I do

know what am I getting when it comes to other locally made products.....

^ Exactly, is the "real" stuff any better? Johnson & Johnson have been sued recently as talcum powder has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be carcinogenic, has it been withdrawn from the market or warnings posted!

Even with the real products, you have some nasty chemicals. The chemical that gets the oils out of your hair is called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Its also used on garage floors to clean up oil.

And Sodium Hydroxide is used to strip paint and clean ovens yet appears in many lists of cosmetic ingredients. It's the concentration that matters.....

Even with the real products, you have some nasty chemicals. The chemical that gets the oils out of your hair is called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Its also used on garage floors to clean up oil.

So the stuff actually does what it is supposed to do? Amazing....

Cosmetics/hair care: rank right up there with cigarettes as the greatest con job of modern capitalism. At least, in the majority of cases, cosmetic products are not deadly. Worthless, yes.

Cosmetics/hair care: rank right up there with cigarettes as the greatest con job of modern capitalism. At least, in the majority of cases, cosmetic products are not deadly. Worthless, yes.

Often also true, one company has different colored bottles, labelled: for 'ultra shine', for 'dry hair', for 'rejuvenation', for 'balding', 'control hair loss' etc etc., and in reality it's all the exact same mixture, perhaps with a little different chemical colouring.

Reminds me of my high school job for one long break in a small goods factory, exact same mixture packaged with different wordings on pre-printed packages: beef sausage, pork sausage, chicken sausage, chicken and cheese, and more. In those days they got away with it.

And Sodium Hydroxide is used to strip paint and clean ovens yet appears in many lists of cosmetic ingredients. It's the concentration that matters.....

I think we all dodged a bullet there, I'd suspect no TV member concentrates all that much.

It was proven years ago that several cosmetic products were containing synthetical compounds that caused cancer. Due to worldwide corruption by lobbyists and companies hiding behind their trademark and product secrecy this still occurs. The Daily Mail had an article "The perfumes on trial" several years ago, followed up by another story about how many people die each year from the use of cosmetics. In several products radioactive quicksilver/mercury was found. Nice body lotion that causes cancer... About 50% of the skin cancer is caused by cosmetics !!! This is the reason why the big companies keep this quiet.

Quote Daily Mail: “The problem is that mainstream industry, as usual, adds toxic chemicals to the perfumes and fragrances it pushes on the public and withholds this fact from consumers. In our opintion, this is utterly criminal activity. And it has gone virtually unpunished for decades. More people die of cancer due to the use of cosmetics each year than have died in plane crashes over the last 100 years”, says Dr. Nelson, researcher at the University of Westminister. “These things are known by the FDA but due to corruption at various government offices and to lobbying, they are allowed on the European and US market”.

I am glad that I am getting the good stuff from Top Secret. A company that's only using natural compounds. You can find them :www.topsecretco.com.

Edited by FredNL

I remember the maid in my office having to visit a doctor to receive treatment to her face, when I saw her face it was all swollen up and covered in red blotches. One of the girls in the office explained to me that the maid had bought some fake cosmetics at the market.

I can guarantee that their having seen the result, not one of the girls from that office was ever going to be purchasing cheap cosmetics.

^ Exactly, is the "real" stuff any better? Johnson & Johnson have been sued recently as talcum powder has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be carcinogenic, has it been withdrawn from the market or warnings posted!

Talcum powder has NOT been proven beyond reasonable doubt to be carcinogenic. A US jury has found in favour of the plaintif in a case where J&J was sued for the supposed effects of its "Baby powder" and J&J are quite rightly, going to appeal. Most scientists in this field are very doubtful that the statistical effect observed (women who use talc on their genitals are more prone to develop ovarian cancer) is "cause and effect" as the effect seems to be unrelated to dose or exposure. Remember the golden rule in statistics:

Correlation does not equal causation

Take a look at this site to see what spurious correlation is all about http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations . "Expert" witnesses and clever lawyers can manipulate relatively ignorant jurors really very easily and I don't doubt that that is what has happened in this case.

Literally 1000s of companies sell talc in one form or another and it has been in use for 100s of years. 99.99% of us in the west will have been liberally sprinkled with it repeatedly when we were babies for Christ's sake and back in those bad old days, most of it contained trace amounts of asbestos as well!

Human nature is comical. We worry about the odd dubious ingredient in cosmetic products (like the previously mentioned baby powder) whilst extremely dangerous, 100% dead cert, carcinogens with other deadly effects are sold perfectly legitimately in every corner shop; I refer of course to tobacco.

Another known carcinogen with a wide range of other extremely negative medical and social effects, one that I myself indulge in, is alcohol and that too is on free sale.

Over consumption of red and processed meats, and refined carbohydrates like sugar and above all, the ubiquitous "high fructose corn syrup" are known to have extremely negative effects on peoples health but salami, ham, burgers, beef steaks, ice cream and all manner of cakes, sweets and candy are still on free sale along with what, these days, is regarded as the "bête noire" of the dietary sugar debate, Coca-Cola and other fizzy drinks containing medically ludicrous doses of sucrose.

The elephant in the room is standing right in front of us!