Marriage Visa renewal May 2016 - new requirement

We went to Chiang Rai Immigration yesterday (Weds 11 May) to renew my marriage visa.

As well as the original marriage certificates they now require a letter from the Amphur to state that the marriage is still valid , i.e not annulled / divorced. ( Kor Ror Song ?? )

They say the "rule" has been in place for >12 months, which is 100% incorrect as it was not required this time last year or on the previous 5 extensions.

They also say it was an order from Chiang Mai office.

Local rule only or nationwide ??

I would be interested to know ( and maybe others about to renew ) ,how long has this "new rule" been in effect ? Anyone else encountered this issue ?

Thanks

You need a Kor Ror 2 that can be obtained at any Amphoe for a fee of 20 baht. Your wife can go to one and have one printed out by presenting her ID card.

Most immigration offices have been asking for it for several years.

Hello Osmond,

This is a new "Rule" to me also. I was given the opportunity to visit with them on March 1 this year for my renewal/extension and it was not asked for then either.

" Sorry, I just reread this article and see that you went to Chiang Rai, I went to Chiang Mai on March 1.

Edited by assayer

This is a new one on me. In a couple of months. I will be renewing my marriage extension for the seventh time at Chiang Mai immigration, and on none of the previous occasions have I included of been asked for this document.

So, thanks for the heads up.

I extended my annual permission to stay based on Thai Wife 3 weeks ago at Phitsanulok. All my documents were in good order and including a copy of my original 12 year old pink marriage certificate and Kor Ror 2. No questions asked.

Everything depends on the particular office you use and the mood of the nice person sitting opposite you when you do it.

The most consistent thing about Immigration rules is that they are inconsistent.

• Like 1

Went Maesot yesterday 12th May to renew my 11th marriage extension as before only wanted Kor Ror 3 use to take in previous years Kor Ror 2 but they just gave it back ( no want ). biggrin.png

​Extra's were another 2 forms to fill out which was basically the same info as in the beginning of form TM 7. blink.png

The rubber stamping of all papers and to sign full name in capital letters. whistling.gif

Asked to point out on computer screen showing google map location of our house and given the numbered coordinates. blink.png

Terrorable journey through mountain roadwork widening, be good when finished I guess.

Good news was we were told they are opening a Immigration Office in Sukhothai, about time to. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Changed mine from retirement to marriage extension in Chiang Mai this month and the KR2 was required. I was prepared as my friend renewed his marriage extension last month for the umpteenth time and for the first time his wife had to get the KR2, not been asked before.

You did not "renew your marriage visa"...you applied for a new Extension of Stay.

As far as the requirement for the Kor Ror Song, I believe that "requirement" has been around for several years...but I was only required to show that document when I did my Extension of Stay in 2012. I had done 4 previous extensions of stay and Kor Ror Song had never been asked for.

Since 2012, I have been asked for that document one time (in 2015). I was able to show the KR2 from 2012 and they were fine with that.

It is not a new requirement. Just another offensive measure that has been pushed into the limelight. You poll up with your wife at Immigration and they want "proof" that you re still married! A very large number of our Thai friends are not married in the Amphur, though they were in the temple. Anyway they should be able to discover/prove instantly from your wife's ID card her marital status.

Many thanks for the replies to the original post.

I will get a KR2 next year and see if they say "not needed" biggrin.png

As Ratcatcher says "The most consistent thing about Immigration rules is that they are inconsistent." Q.E.D

Osmond

• Like 1