travel to germany with AIS sim card.

lomm

I'm going to travel in Germany at June for about 2-4 weeks.

Before I just passed there and didn't bought a sim card.

What better, to roaming with my AIS sim card or to buy there a local sim card?

In Thailand I have a post paid package of about 3g internet and 300 minutes per month.

Thanks.

I have just returned from the USA, used my DTAC sim card there with a roaming package but found out when I get back DTAC have actually taken the cost of the calls as well as the cost of the package out of my account. The package included 120 minutes of talk time to Thailand but they have made me pay for the phone calls back as well(well under the 120 minute limit). Better off getting another sim card so you cant be ripped off, I am still trying to get them to either refund the package cost or the call costs but they keep making excuses, overseas sim card is bound to be a safer deal

Really depends on usage. Do you intend to make lot of local calls? Buy a local SIM. Will you be on the Internet a lot outside WIFI areas? Buy a local SIM. Will you need your Thai number i.e. for banking OTP, SMS etc?

I always have 2 smartphones, one for the local number (mostly prepaid) and one where I keep my Thai number in.

I am currently on a 3 weeks stay in Germany and would recommend to buy a local SIM. I did so yesterday, replacing my AIS SIM.

I went into a shop yesterday and they sold me an o2 pre-paidSIM card. For the activation fee of € 9,99 they gave me € 9,99 in credit for which the guy in the shop activated a 30 day package including 750MB data package and more minutes than I will ever use during my stay over here. And there are lots of other deals available which might be even more cost effective depending on what you need. But personally, I wouldn´t want to think about roaming charges all the time. Given the length of your stay in Germany, buying a local SIM, to me, is a no-brainer.

Ide say with 99% certainty buying a local sim i and using skype line what's app or similar Is the the way to go. Tbh all I've ever heard about roaming packages is how expensive they are, convenient yes but always relatively expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As above Aldi or Lidl for some cards, some of the major operators have good deals, but if you are moving around in Germany then you want to be online quite often so any company that uses Deutsche Telekom is going to be your best bet. I use O2 Telefonica and have no coverage whilst travelling between Munich and Dusseldorf, my wife has Vodafone and this is a bit better but not the best, Deutsche Telekom has coverage on the ICE trains.

Good advice above to buy a Local Sim as Roaming isn't cheap especially with Thai Providers.

The only problem when buying a local SIM is that may want prove that you live there, but I suspect a Hotel Address is perfectly fine thumbsup.gif

Good advice above to buy a Local Sim as Roaming isn't cheap especially with Thai Providers.

The only problem when buying a local SIM is that may want prove that you live there, but I suspect a Hotel Address is perfectly fine thumbsup.gif

Not required at Lidl or Aldi, just walk in, go to the cash desk as this is where the SIM cards are and take one, give it to the cashier and done.

Not required at Lidl or Aldi, just walk in, go to the cash desk as this is where the SIM cards are and take one, give it to the cashier and done.

this is about to change, id will be required to purchase a new sim. still cheap but compared to roaming.

i did not have to register my first 02 Telefonica SIM just picked it up at a shop and it worked straight away. And I don't see the many hundreds of refugees here registering theirs!!

Edited by beano2274

this is about to change, id will be required to purchase a new sim. still cheap but compared to roaming.

Manfred´s correct. The government this week announced a plan to make showing ID and proof of address compulsory. Up to now it was at the discretion of the vendor to check ID etc. Yesterday, when I bought my SIM, the vendor checked my ID but since it was issued by the German Embassy in London it doesn´t show a (Germany) address. Therefore, I gave him my sister´s address (could have been any address actually) and he was happy with it.

many SIM cards from discounters to be had, but BY FAR the best data package if you want 3GB or even 5GB is offered by blau.de - sadly the website is in German only. You would have to apply for a recurring monthly package, but you can terminate it immediately by typing in a code which the system will lead you to in your account management. And if you don't have credits on your account, it would not be re-activated anyway. If I remember that right, 3GB was 14.95€ a month last time I used that in 2015, and 5GB 19,95€