International Driving Permit ?

looking through all the paperwork, it states you have to have an international driving permit as well as my brit driving license, is this the case please, i cant see the logic myself as i will not be driving in the near future just thought it handy to have in case the need to hire a car. if required, where do i obtain one as i thought these were applied for in ones home country ie UK. thankyou KC

This has been discussed to death on this forum already.

In short: yes, you do need an IDP if you want to be safe.

I have no idea how to obtain it for an UK citizen outside of UK though but I'm sure someone will.

looking through all the paperwork, it states you have to have an international driving permit as well as my brit driving license, is this the case please, i cant see the logic myself as i will not be driving in the near future just thought it handy to have in case the need to hire a car. if required, where do i obtain one as i thought these were applied for in ones home country ie UK. thankyou KC

I am sure you need to be in UK to get a UK IDP. To get an IDP in Thailand you need to have a 5 year Thai license.

An IDP is only for use outside the country of issue. It's really just a translation of your own driving license.

Edited by overherebc

Wrong !!! about photocard UK DL's.

You can use a valid photo-card type full driving license from another country if it is in English and has the categorizes in written English you can drive up to 90 days.

Some other country driving licenses may need to be accompanied with a IDP.

Carry a copy of your passport and the page showing your entry date.

That said it is always best to get your self a Thai drivng license.

Edited by Kwasaki

yes that is what i will be trying to do, but not bothered before as no need, mits just this int driving permit could be the stumbling block dont want to show up and they say "sorry you no have" cannot do "

I am sure you need to be in UK to get a UK IDP. To get an IDP in Thailand you need to have a 5 year Thai license.

An IDP is only for use outside the country of issue. It's really just a translation of your own driving license.

You can get it quite easily in Thailand from the transport department. But you must realise that it is not valid in Thailand.The licences are not in any countries of issue. You would have to get one in the UK

yes i have a UK licence for a car and motorbike , lived here nearly 3 years, it is the photo one so i imagine that would be ok

No probs then, get down to your nearest DLT office with stuff you need to take,

yes that is what i will be trying to do, but not bothered before as no need, mits just this int driving permit could be the stumbling block dont want to show up and they say "sorry you no have" cannot do "

The few things they get you to are simple, take something to read when they ask you to sit and watch the movie. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

sorry i think everyone has missed my question, do i need an international permit or not. as the gumf says i need.surely i cant be the first person who "maybe" have this problem. can is just take my "verified" by embassy driving licence only ??

sorry i think everyone has missed my question, do i need an international permit or not. as the gumf says i need.surely i cant be the first person who "maybe" have this problem. can is just take my "verified" by embassy driving licence only ??

No, you don't need an international permit.

However if you're living here you need a Thai DL, your UK one is officially not valid.

at last. thankyou Steven yes i am aware of my uk licence is invalid hence the reason to apply for a thia driving licence

An IDP is only valid if used together with home licence, and as mentioned, if living here a Thai licence is required in any case. So since you're aware your UK licence is not valid, a IDP can never solve that issue.

i am a bit confused on this issue, my uk driving licence proves i have a full uk licence, having driven for 50 plus years surely this is proof enough i am competant, also if i may ask Embassy fees, looks like they want £25 for verification of address and £25 for the licence , £50 seems a bit steep, as no rush i might go to the cop shop for verification cant cost £25. brown envelope time

sorry, just reading through the checklist again, and it would appear driving licence does not have to be verified as it is in the english language, only my address needs to be verified

on another note my local bar owner said she can get me a valid licence for 1000 baht to drive here, she done this for her uk husband >> ?? <deleted>

Don't do that, for flig sake go to your local DLT and get a Thai DL.

right one last time. it looks like i will have to go through the WHOLE procedure, from the start. (a to z,) as a "newbie" not just doing the usual tests, (50 questions, etc) &lt;deleted&gt;. driving for 50 years. i read of an Aussie guy in the same situation.

rules regarding the acquisition of thai d/l vary from area office to area office. when the person dealing with your case does not know the rules, he / she will make them up according what is convenient.

i suggest you inquire first and act accordingly. there is no joy in fronting up at one office believing the rules of another apply. (this goes for any administrative issue in thailand!)

you will have no problems with road side checks with any english language license that has your photo on it. if you are from a g7 country this is a double+.

insurance issues are a different cup of tea.

right one last time. it looks like i will have to go through the WHOLE procedure, from the start. (a to z,) as a "newbie" not just doing the usual tests, (50 questions, etc) <deleted>. driving for 50 years. i read of an Aussie guy in the same situation.

Oz DL not treated same as UK DL in Thailand, go to your DLT with a smile and your proof of address, passport & UK photo-card DL and there will be just few easy tests to do, they won't eat you. laugh.png

thankyou for that Kwasaki, (like that) thats re assuring i was going with a thai speaker tomorrow but now i will get the wheels in motion , ie, embassy letter and doctors note, KC ex fireblade 1000 rr.

first reply to STEVEN i did read that it took from 3 to 6 weeks and a cop may pay you a visit, i cant for the life of me see why, as they know at immigration where i live.

second reply to Bredbury Blue, how much did it cost, as this might be easier in the long run, i just might pop up there tomorrow to get this sorted once and for all

first reply to STEVEN i did read that it took from 3 to 6 weeks and a cop may pay you a visit, i cant for the life of me see why, as they know at immigration where i live.

second reply to Bredbury Blue, how much did it cost, as this might be easier in the long run, i just might pop up there tomorrow to get this sorted once and for all

DELETED: if living here Thai DL is required.

Edited by seedy
flaming

or you do. You go to your local Land transport office with your uk license and the proof of address.. you take two simple physical tests.. colour blind test and brake response test. Then they issue the Thai license. If you ride motorcycles (Honda Wave etc) then you need to apply for a motorcycle and car license. Initially your license will be valid for one year. Remember to renew it to a 5 year license.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

or you do. You go to your local Land transport office with your uk license and the proof of address.. you take two simple physical tests.. colour blind test and brake response test. Then they issue the Thai license. If you ride motorcycles (Honda Wave etc) then you need to apply for a motorcycle and car license. Initially your license will be valid for one year. Remember to renew it to a 5 year license.

Initial licence is 2 years these days.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post / flaming

OP is just another post from someone who wants to waste money on the useless IDP for a UK DL's being used in Thailand, steveni do you ever feel like giving up sometimes, I do, laugh.png

OP is just another post from someone who wants to waste money on the useless IDP for a UK DL's being used in Thailand, steveni do you ever feel like giving up sometimes, I do, laugh.png

Yes, sometimes. But I'm sure some others do take the information in. Especially in a case like this, where the OP enquires about an IDP, but the real issue is living in Thailand, so an IDP will not do any good anyway.