loaning my bike to someone legal question

krey

I am heading home for a few months and was going to let my friend use my scooter while I was gone.

If he happens to get into an accident with my bike besides the damage that might happen to my bike will I be responsible for

anything since the bike is in my name?

krey---where did you grow up? What country? You seem to have a lack of basic legal knowledge that is acquired by anyone living in the Occident.

Loaning your motorbike out to ANYONE is a bad idea. Consider it "gone."

If you want to wreck your friendship with your buddy---go ahead, loan him your bike. Tyres and repairs are needed----why should your friend IMPROVE YOUR PROPERTY? Dings and smash-ups are a given. Bike gets stolen---do you really think that your buddy will head to soi 9 and process a stolen property report?

You got it---your bike is stolen by a Tai while under the aegis of your buddy---someone is injured. Yes...your insurance company is liable.

Yes---if your friend causes serious bodily injury, yes---during the DISCOVERY phase, a title search is undertaken to ascertain legal ownership. They are searching for deep pockets to PAY for it all and this would be YOU.

You have two big choices facing you: 1) GIVE your motorbike to your friend. Insist on a signed and notarized bill of sale, even if you sell your motorbike for 100b. BILL OF SALE! Let him rego the bike in his name and get his own insurance.

Or---2) Forget the whole idea. Let your friend buy or rent a motorbike.

Keep us all posted as to your legal adventures! We all love a good story!

I am heading home for a few months and was going to let my friend use my scooter while I was gone.

If he happens to get into an accident with my bike besides the damage that might happen to my bike will I be responsible for

Would you lend him your girlfriend?

There's you answer.

krey---where did you grow up? What country? You seem to have a lack of basic legal knowledge that is acquired by anyone living in the Occident.

If you want to wreck your friendship with your buddy---go ahead, loan him your bike. Tyres and repairs are needed----why should your friend IMPROVE YOUR PROPERTY? Dings and smash-ups are a given. Bike gets stolen---do you really think that your buddy will head to soi 9 and process a stolen property report?

You got it---your bike is stolen by a Tai while under the aegis of your buddy---someone is injured. Yes...your insurance company is liable.

Yes---if your friend causes serious bodily injury, yes---during the DISCOVERY phase, a title search is undertaken to ascertain legal ownership. They are searching for deep pockets to PAY for it all and this would be YOU.

You have two big choices facing you: 1) GIVE your motorbike to your friend. Insist on a signed and notarized bill of sale, even if you sell your motorbike for 100b. BILL OF SALE! Let him rego the bike in his name and get his own insurance.

How nicely put, "where did you grow up?" . And for interest not how I recall the law in my bit of the Occident. Shame you make some valid points.

I am surmising here, but I would imagine that you as the owner would be legally responsible.

If there was an accident and your friend had been involved, at a minimum regarding insurance purposes you would end up having to have him charged for "Taking without Consent" (That happened to me and a friend when we took his dad's car for a jolly, and crashed it)

The only way his old man could cover the damage was to get us nicked! (none of us had licences)

Actually insurance is dependent in where you come from.. For example where I come from AU.. The responsibility is to the driver of the vehicle, my only resposibilty would be to know if he had a valid license or not and even that is a grey area as I cannot enquire the DMV about anothers license. But insurance on a vehicle here will extend to additional drivers so long as they have my permission to drive. That way if someone steals it and crashes the insurer will cover for my damage but not that of the thief.

The US on the other hand have a completely different idea on insurance hence why I say it depends on where you are.. I would suggest the OP check to see what his liability is.

In Thailand the basic government compulsory insurance covers the bike, regardless of driver (assuming he has a licence).

If the rider has your consent you are not responsible for any accidents.

However to fully cover costs of repair, hospital treatment, including any liabilities to non fault third parties , your friend should take out personal insurance to cover such costs. That should be made a condition of loaning your motorcycle.

thanks people

1. my country other people are allowed to drive your vehicle with consent and you are not responsible. I brought it up because

Thailand has so many different rules I wanted to be sure what to expect.

2. As for my friendship. I would gladly give my bike to my friend to use. He has been one of my best friends for over 20 years and trust him 100% to pay damages etc.. He has never let me down. I do not compare my scooter with my girlfriend. IT was also only going to be used once in a while not an every day things. I have no worries of losing a friendship over a scooter in this case

but there are some excellent points here and plan to look into it more

There's you answer.

Yes so true

I am the owner. You are telling me if my friend crashes my bike I am responsible is that what you mean? I wont even be in the country

This is not rocket science buddy! Don't think for a moment being in Thailand changes things much?

You know the situation in Thailand regarding the ownership of a bike, a reminder the insurance you get each year when you register the bike is for medical injuries (10,000-15,000) your bike isn't covered nor 3rd party, so unless you have gone out of your to purchase it for the bike IT IS NOT COVERED! if you buddy gets into a accident.

So the logical question is... How good is this friend? Have you explain to him the above and if he uses the bike what his responsibility is to the bike and whom ever he hits? Get it in writing if not let him rent a bike himself and if he can't afford to do it, tell him to walk.

The owner of the bike is responsible

That's why i always transfer papers to my gf before I'm heading home for couple of months and she says she need the bike. Either that or simply put bike in storage house. If you as farang are owner and something bad happens you will be fined much more than a Thai person.

krey /op/wrote:

"....2. As for my friendship. I would gladly give my bike to my friend to use. He has been one of my best friends for over 20 years and trust him 100% to pay damages etc.. He has never let me down. I do not compare my scooter with my girlfriend. IT was also only going to be used once in a while not an every day things. I have no worries of losing a friendship over a scooter in this case."

Shit like this never ends well. Take a deep breath---you will lose motorbike AND friend!

A few weeks back, all my motoheads that I have ridden mountain trails for the last 25 years---we were out on a ride, shooting the breeze. We all began listing the reasons we have all been riding so long together---we listed all the common traits, but the one that stood our was in universal agreement: "...we never ask our buddies to borrow their motorbikes."

It is something that is not just done. Inner code.

Good luck.

Really amazing that some are of the opinion that you should never let your best friend ride your scooter because he might crash it and then the friendship will be damaged too. <deleted> a freak' n scooter. I better don't say what I really think. And comparing a scooter with a girlfriend..pffff

krey /op/wrote:

"....2. As for my friendship. I would gladly give my bike to my friend to use. He has been one of my best friends for over 20 years and trust him 100% to pay damages etc.. He has never let me down. I do not compare my scooter with my girlfriend. IT was also only going to be used once in a while not an every day things. I have no worries of losing a friendship over a scooter in this case."

Shit like this never ends well. Take a deep breath---you will lose motorbike AND friend!

A few weeks back, all my motoheads that I have ridden mountain trails for the last 25 years---we were out on a ride, shooting the breeze. We all began listing the reasons we have all been riding so long together---we listed all the common traits, but the one that stood our was in universal agreement: "...we never ask our buddies to borrow their motorbikes."

It is something that is not just done. Inner code.

Good luck.

Its mean you not have REAL buddies... but its not mean all as you..wink.png

There's you answer.

or have too low an estimate for the girlfriend and friend
or much higher for scooter.
It's only a scooter. © papa al