GPS not work in chiang mai?

BuffaloRescue

Am i the only person here having GPS problems. Ive bought 3 different phones (quite cheap models under 6000 baht) and they constantly tell me GPS signal lost using google maps. Im getting this even when using in my pocket driving on motorbike, and all the time in the car

I was wondering if its due to the smog in Chiang Mai or atmospheric conditions?

Otherwise whats a good phone to get with a sensitive GPS receiver? Maybe i just have to spend up and get iPhone 6se

Prblems I've has are with Oppo, Zenfone Max and Zenfone Laser and also AIS LAVA 850

Anything from ASUS is pants for GPS.

My Zenpad 7 is absolutely useless, but my Samsung phone and tablet works perfectly all the time.

Your equipment is just too cheap.

whats samsung phone have u got

Samsung J7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10", both work perfectly but poor battery life.

A friend has an Acatel One Touch plus (5.5 octacore) that also has a very good GPS.

Never more than a 5m error.

Edited by MissAndry

100m is a lot

Samsung J7 works well GPS in car?

Considering that most telephone GPS systems work using Cell Towers rather than satellites, the accuracy will vary from location to location, depending upon the distance to the cell towers. This is one reason why phone GPSs often have trouble in ciies with large building. They need signal from three towers to be accurate.

If you want accuracy down to 2-3 meters, get a Garmin Zumo. I use one on my motorcycle and it's spot on!

Edited by FolkGuitar

As far as I know most phones allow you to select cell tower or satellites depending on the level of accuracy you want and how much battery you have in hand. (My Galaxy Note 2 does, even though it's almost prehistoric in tech terms)

Considering that most telephone GPS systems work using Cell Towers rather than satellites, the accuracy will vary from location to location, depending upon the distance to the cell towers. This is one reason why phone GPSs often have trouble in ciies with large building. They need signal from three towers to be accurate.

If you want accuracy down to 2-3 meters, get a Garmin Zumo. I use one on my motorcycle and it's spot on!

Not true. Most all phones have a GPS receiver and get the signal from the GPS satellites. Part of the locating services used on phones will use cell towers and even wi-fi signals but there is most definitely a true GPS receiver in the phone. For Android you can download an app called GPS test and it will show you all the information about the GPS signal, how many satellites you are seeing, signal strength from each satellite, accuracy, and coordinates.

I can confirm that smog and/or thunderstorms really don't help.

The smartphones with so-so GPS receivers (there are more than usually thought, and at least the ASUS and the Lava fall into this category IMO) start failing to fix under such conditions.

The Samsung Ax series are relatively cheap smartphones very well built and with (in my own experience) excellent GPS.

I'm using an A3 and an A5.

I also vouch for the Alcatel as MissAndry does.

Edited by Lannig

100m is a lot

You confuse Location Services with GPS. Entirely different.

100m is a lot

Location services should be turned on anyway to make it easier for your GPS to search for the right range of satellites. Location services does not only use cell towers but also Wifi signals as location provider and reset the cache of location points stored. And location services does use GPS as location provider, too. So it is not entirely different as airthai12 says but describing a technology which combines the information of three different location providers.

Using location services will also help to save the battery because for a GPS it takes quite a while to scan for a fix. Wifi and Cell-ID will help to scan for the satellites available in that area only and achieve faster the number of satellites needed for an accurate fix. Especially in cities this technology will help to get a faster and more accurate fix.

100m is a lot

Location services should be turned on anyway to make it easier for your GPS to search for the right range of satellites. Location services does not only use cell towers but also Wifi signals as location provider and reset the cache of location points stored. And location services does use GPS as location provider, too. So it is not entirely different as airthai12 says but describing a technology which combines the information of three different location providers.

Using location services will also help to save the battery because for a GPS it takes quite a while to scan for a fix. Wifi and Cell-ID will help to scan for the satellites available in that area only and achieve faster the number of satellites needed for an accurate fix. Especially in cities this technology will help to get a faster and more accurate fix.

Turning off Location Services turns off your GPS as well and prolongs your battery. Your phone won't know its precise location but will still know its approximate location by identifying nearby cellular towers.

Your phone uses location information from nearby cellular towers and GPS signals to locate itself. If you turn off your phone, fly to the other side of the world, and turn your phone back on where there are no cellular towers in range it can take your phone several minutes or longer (depending on the GPS hardware and software) to calculate its position using GPS signals alone. Location information from nearby cellular towers greatly speeds this process up.

Android/Google/Alphabet want you to leave Location Services on because it allows the company to pinpoint your location and provide this information to marketing companies. I don't know if it is happening in Thailand yet, but in the west people with smartphones who are walking through a shopping district or mall will often receive advertisement and promotions applicable to whatever business they are near. These messages are only sent to people with a customer database that indicates they might be interested in these offers. Whether this is a customer service or creepy surveillance is a matter of opinion.

Marketing surveillance does have its advantages. For example, if you are the type of person who likes to frequent bars, brothels and go-go's, and these businesses reach an agreement with the marketing companies, you can receive enticing advertisements and promotions when you are in the neighborhood of these places. Just don't lend your phone to your wife.

Regarding the OP; if GPS is working for others but not you, it's a safe bet it's your device, not the satellite signals.

Edited by heybruce

100m is a lot

Most phone GPS do infact use satellites. Assisted GPS is where it uses both. Uses cell towers and wifi spots to find approximate location to make starting quicker thats all

I can confirm that smog and/or thunderstorms really don't help.

The smartphones with so-so GPS receivers (there are more than usually thought, and at least the ASUS and the Lava fall into this category IMO) start failing to fix under such conditions.

The Samsung Ax series are relatively cheap smartphones very well built and with (in my own experience) excellent GPS.

I'm using an A3 and an A5.

I also vouch for the Alcatel as MissAndry does.

Can you confirm the A3 and A5 work well for GPS when you are in a car? (car roof doesn't block out GPS signal from satelleites)

Edited by BuffaloRescue

Regarding the OP; if GPS is working for others but not you, it's a safe bet it's your device, not the satellite signals.

The OP said he has problems on 4 different devices.

All 4 cheap rubbish.

I'm not familiar with any of the devices the poster mentioned, but there's a good chance they use the same one or two location modules sourced for the same lowest bid contractor.

Regardless, if GPS is working for most people and not for the poster, either he has poorly performing devices, or the GPS satellites are deliberately, and cleverly, picking on him and only him. I think it's more likely a device problem.

Hi

My Zenfone 2 laser works OK with GPS, even in my car. I don't say I never lost signal, but this comes back quite quickly. I has much more problem with my HTC one before. Samsung Grand 2 works very good also.

Please be aware of tinted glass, which can damper your reception. Very dark and/or cheap window filter are not good for reception.

Old phone, old battery can also give you some problem.

Good thing is to drive with a friend, and see if you loose signal as often as him.

Good luck

Phil.