Over 1,000 gamblers in Euro 2016 arrested

webfact

Over 1,000 gamblers in Euro 2016 arrested

283_Euro-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A total of 1,028 gamblers in Euro 2016 soccer games were arrested in the nationwide crackdown campaign launched by the police.

Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen said most of the gamblers arrested were in Bangkok area where 566 cases were cracked, followed by 62 cases in the responsibility area of the First Provincial Police Command, and 59 cases in the Third Provincial Police Command.

The deputy commissioner said more than 10 million baht in cash and in prediction slips were seized, as well as 22 accounting books.

He said most gamblings cracked were online gamblings with most operators being foreigners.

He said the Royal Thai Police will soon cooperate with the private sector to display huge cloth banners at target areas such as major department stores to encourage the people to join the campaign and also to educate risky group or new gamblers on the evils of gamblings.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/1000-gamblers-euro-2016-arrested/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-13

I heard that betting also goes on at Thai boxing matches,funerals and cock fighting events with very little enforcement of the law against evil "gamblings"

Yes, even the police love to gamble.

I heard that betting also goes on at Thai boxing matches,funerals and cock fighting events with very little enforcement of the law against evil "gamblings"

I can understand the betting on a boxers skill. I know some Thai men love to show off their cocks in a fighting match, but what is there to bet on at a funeral except to see if the body in the box cadaver breathe again?

If "gamblings" is so evil why is there a government run lottery ?

Good question, and don't forget you can also legally bet on horse racing in Bangkok, at The Royal Turf Club!

Talk about double standards!

There's a race course in Udon Thani which is controlled by, Wait For It, Wait For It, the army !

I think the word government is the key word here.

Hence the crack down,they are not benefiting and that goes against Thai government logic.

Same with most of the worlds governments.

Drugs are Bad, Say NO to Drugs, Drugs are illegal, Life Imprisonment, Death Sentence, Reefer madness etc etc, Unless of course they are Taxed by the Government and Miraculously they become legal and socially acceptable, no matter how dangerous they are, how addictive they are, how many Millions they Kill, how much suffering, how much social problems, how much violence and mayhem, they are taxed, therefore legal.

I of course refer to Alcohol and Tobacco, think they would be legal if they weren't taxed ?

It's all about the bottom line, laws made to monopolize the Drug business the same as gambling is demonized, unless of course it's controlled by the government.

Edited by Broken Record

I wonder what odds they give at a funeral...........................blink.png

tongue.png

I can understand the betting on a boxers skill. I know some Thai men love to show off their cocks in a fighting match, but what is there to bet on at a funeral except to see if the body in the box cadaver breathe again?

If you have been to a village funeral - along with the food etc it seems to be a tradition to gamble - usual that dice game hi-lo. Goes on all day. It surprised me a bit- but everything can be a bit weird here.

I hear the government rakes in up to 60% so its a cash cow. Did you ever check out the dinky little cash prizes and the winner must still pay 15% tax off of the top. I wonder how the 10 million baht seized will be divvied up?

Actually funerals are popular for late night gambling, cards and hi-lo. But when hi-lo is played the cops must be given money.

Good question, and don't forget you can also legally bet on horse racing in Bangkok, at The Royal Turf Club!

Talk about double standards!

There's a race course in Udon Thani which is controlled by, Wait For It, Wait For It, the army !

And there is a race course in Chiangmai, also controlled by the army.