METV- Retirement

In 3 weeks time I will be applying for an METV . I will then be moving to Udon to live. I will extend the visa for 30 days in Udon and then will need to leave Thailand and re enter. As I will be living in Udon where is the best place for me to do this ?

I will repeat this process until the visa expires and this will take me up to my 50th birthday. I would like to apply to stay in Thailand as being retired and have a Thai Bank account with 1 million baht already.

When I turn 50 my METV with an extension of 30 days will only have about a week or so left and so I understand this is not enough time remaining to convert it .

So what should I do ? Should I go to Laos to obtain a visa and if so what type of visa would I need?

Form Udon going to the bridge in Nong Khai to do a crossing to Vientiane is a short trip. You might even want to skip the 30 day extensions of your 60 day entries. Comparing the 1900 baht fee to get 30 days to the Lao visa on arrival fee of about 1500 baht to get 60 days might be best.

Udon immigration cannot do the conversion.

Your best option will be to make a trip to Vientiane to apply for a non-o visa for being 50 or over.

Thanks Joe. I did think about not doing the extensions as Udon is quite close to to Laos. when I apply for the non-o visa for being 50 does this have to then be converted in Bangkok?

• As advised by UJ your best option is to get a non 'O' visa in Laos.

When you enter with the non 'O' visa you'll be granted a 90 days stay. You can apply for the 1 year extension based on retirement (over 50) within the last 30 (maybe 45) days at the Udon office. No conversion or trip to Bangkok needed.

Edited by elviajero