Koh Tao - Yes/No?

Hi,

i feel a bit silly to open a thread like that, in the end its my decision of course, but just what after i right the recent hours i felt like asking some people. We are a couple from the eu and planned to go to koh tao this summer for 5 nights for snorkeling and visiting some bars. Unfortunately i did some research and found some articles about various murders on Koh Tao. Then i found this board and saw a lot of people telling, they wont go to Koh Tao anymore. I dont know if these are some board trolls or if its common sense to avoid koh tao, at least for people who are well informed what happened. However, at the moment we feel a bit uncomfortable with travelling to koh tao and think about cancellling our booking. On the other hand, our other destination will be koh phangan - im expecting theres not a big difference between those islands concerning the crime?

In conclusion, would you suggest to go there or would you recommend to skip Koh Tao?

Thanks in Advance

Peter

I personally would have problems recommending anyone to go to Ko Tao. There is a huge amount of tourists going there every day already and the things that hit the news, although unfortunate, is obviously not something which happens often.

Would you now stop going to Orlando because of the recent shooting???

If you use your judgement, you will notice that most of the people who recommend against going have some kind of personal grudge against the place. I'm pretty sure you will find a lot of other people who had nothing but good experiences while staying there.

Edited by Mole

The most dangerous destinations for Australian travellers

EXCLUSIVE

EVERY DAY almost nine Australians go missing, get hurt or die overseas with Thailand and Indonesia among the most dangerous places to visit.

As the family of Rye Hunt processed news of the Aussie backpacker’s tragic death in Brazil, statistics provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, showed 1224 Australians did not return from overseas trips in the year to June 8, 2016.

From the above link:

Tourism lecturer at the University of Technology Sydney, David Beirman, said the statistics represented only a tiny percentage of the 9 million Australians who travelled overseas each year.

“Many of those who do die overseas, die from natural causes, old age, or medical conditions rather than foul play or misadventure,” said Dr Beirman.

“Having said that, places like Thailand do attract larger groups of younger people who engage in fairly risky activities, like the Full Moon Festivals and motorcycle riding.”

“I don’t think that makes Thailand and Indonesia inherently dangerous destinations. It’s the choices people make when they visit those places.”

also from that link

Despite being only the fourth most visited country by Australians, Thailand recorded the highest number of deaths and serious injuries with a total of 325.

Indonesia was second with 237 deaths and injuries, followed by the US with 178 and the Philippines (167).

Australians were most likely to go missing in Indonesia — where 40 Aussies remain unaccounted for, then Thailand (39), the US (38) and the Philippines (32).

“Thailand itself is a bit lax with regulation, so it’s a case of “traveller beware” and be a bit more choosy about the type of operators they use.”

THE STATISTICS

Deaths (total: 1224)

Thailand — 168

Philippines — 101

Indonesia — 93

United States — 63

Vietnam — 62

Germany — 47

Greece — 46

China — 43

United Kingdom — 35

Cambodia — 33

Serious injury or illness/hospitalisation (Total: 1517)

Thailand — 157

Indonesia — 144

United States — 109

New Caledonia — 72

Vietnam — 68

Philippines — 66

China — 61

Italy — 53

United Arab Emirates — 46

India — 44

Missing (Total: 480)

Indonesia — 40

Thailand — 39

United States — 38

Philippines — 32

India — 22

Fiji — 21

China — 19

United Kingdom — 18

Singapore — 15

United Arab Emirates — 13

SOURCE: Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade statistics for period 8/06/2015 — 8/06/2016

well, we have a limited budget and were going on august/september so we chose bangkok, koh tao and phangan just because of the less rain. Krabi doesnt seem perfect to me. Is there a difference between Koh Tao und Koh Phangan concerning crimes, police, etc. or are they just the same?

Edited by mediumclassic

the main reason we wanted to avoid koh samui was that we heard its the most crowded and touristic island, with a lot of cement and sex tourism. Besides of that, the intention of my post was to point out if there are different levels of security between those 3 islands, especially compared to Koh Tao, which not seems the case? Anyways, we will think about replacing Koh Tao with Samui.

Edited by mediumclassic

I think you should stop reading too much and come here and have a look for yourself how things are.

Or.. actually, forget it, just stay away from these islands. Go to Phuket, Pattaya or Chiang Mai instead... or even better, just stay home!

Ignoring the death Island thing. I spent 3 months there, i wouldn't recommend you go for snorkeling to those islands. The best snorkeling I've done was an island close to Bali called Flores. Nice adventure getting there too from Bali.

Edited by scubascuba3

the main reason we wanted to avoid koh samui was that we heard its the most crowded and touristic island, with a lot of cement and sex tourism. Besides of that, the intention of my post was to point out if there are different levels of security between those 3 islands, especially compared to Koh Tao, which not seems the case? Anyways, we will think about replacing Koh Tao with Samui.

Koh Samui probably "safest", but it also depend of what you yourself choose to do – and compared to other Thai tourist destinations and Bangkok, Koh Samui, in my view, has the least so-called "sex tourism".

Cement is depending where you decide to stay, in central Chaweng party zone, or one of the many other beautiful areas.

Koh Tao is best for diving, but got exposed with some news stories and numerous of comments – seem like many came from people who have not even been there – but lots of folks still go over there everyday; and seem to come back again. Koh Phangan is a second diving option, and there are also day-trips from Samui to some of the same good spots; I often hear about Ko Ma at Koh Phangan's Northern tip (I'm not a diver myself, but regular have diving friends visiting me). If you look for "paradise Bounty-style beach", then Thong Nai Pan Yai at Koh Phangan is a good option; and don't miss a day-trip to Ang Thong Marine Park; the original inspiration for "The Beach". August/September weather is normally fine on the islands, raining season starts around October.

Wish you a good – and safe – tip to Koh Tao and her sister islands...smile.png

Edited by khunPer

I'd recommend the east or north coast of Koh Phangan if you want to avoid crime and still visit a pristine beach.

Thong Nai Pan Noi/Yai or the beaches on the north coast are beautiful and hardly any chance of crime.

Bottle Beach too is amazing.

Try to book first.

Edited by smokie36

ive already booked a nice accommodation directly on the beach on haad chao phao. We will explore the island on our own (motorbikes, depending how the streets are for our destination) and a taxi offered by the hotel. We dont have plans to go to the south and of course we avoid full moon party since its 4 days after our departure :-) In Koh Tao we have booked a villa in the mountains near sairee beach with a personal driver 24/7, (which actualy wasnt the reason for booking) which shouldnt be the worst thing concerning travel-safety. Unfortunately that was all before i did some serious research, which i wish i wouldnt have done :-)

Well, were no incautios travellers so we should be alright.

Edited by mediumclassic

To be honest, sounds like you'd be better off travelling to Disney World or the like. Thailands popularity apart from the good things, is the mystery, danger, and uncertainty to many people who choose to come here ! Make sure you buy plenty of cotton wool before you leave your home country and wrap yourself up tight [emoji40][emoji298]️[emoji267][emoji111]️

Ignoring the death Island thing. I spent 3 months there, i wouldn't recommend you go for snorkelinto those islands. The best snorkeling I've done was an island close to Bali called Flores. Nice adventure getting there too from Bali.

no, don't go to Flores. Go to Tamana in the Kiribati archipelago / South Sea by Coral Sun Airways, gorgeous snorkeling and nice adventure to go there and come back, if that is possible.

Ignoring the death Island thing. I spent 3 months there, i wouldn't recommend you go for snorkelinto those islands. The best snorkeling I've done was an island close to Bali called Flores. Nice adventure getting there too from Bali.

no, don't go to Flores. Go to Tamana in the Kiribati archipelago / South Sea by Coral Sun Airways, gorgeous snorkeling and nice adventure to go there and come back, if that is possible.
Not exactly local to Thailand though

(motorbikes, depending how the streets are for our destination)

Avoid motorbikes if you don't have a driving license.

Thailand is not a good place to learn to drive.

After 10 years on Samui I don't even notice the ambulances taking tourists to the hospital or morgue anymore.

(motorbikes, depending how the streets are for our destination)

Avoid motorbikes if you don't have a driving license.

Thailand is not a good place to learn to drive.

After 10 years on Samui I don't even notice the ambulances taking tourists to the hospital or morgue anymore.

I have a motorbike licence, been riding for 15 years, I'd still avoid riding in Thailand

exactly, and so is Flores

exactly, and so is Flores
I found it easy to get to, either way Koh Tao is pants for snorkeling and average at best for scuba diving.Obviously people working there will want you to go. Edited by scubascuba3

I don't live or work on Koh Tao, nor have I any kind of watersport business or anything to do with that. I live on Samui since ~30 years, have been on Koh Tao and at many other places in the region during all this years countless times, actually don't like Koh Tao so much, because it is small and for my taste too crowded considering the size.

But would never advice someone against holidaying on Koh Tao. The best place for snorkel and scuba dive in the Southern GoT for sure.

It's also much saver and convenient than many other places in the region outside Thailand (F&B, health, security, animals, crime, climate, earthquakes, pirates, religion ......)

ive already booked a nice accommodation directly on the beach on haad chao phao. We will explore the island on our own (motorbikes, depending how the streets are for our destination) and a taxi offered by the hotel. We dont have plans to go to the south and of course we avoid full moon party since its 4 days after our departure :-) In Koh Tao we have booked a villa in the mountains near sairee beach with a personal driver 24/7, (which actualy wasnt the reason for booking) which shouldnt be the worst thing concerning travel-safety. Unfortunately that was all before i did some serious research, which i wish i wouldnt have done :-)

Well, were no incautios travellers so we should be alright.

Your research seems a bit selective you are worried about murder and crime, personal safety yet you want to partake of the single most dangerous thing you can do in Thailand and that's too ride a motorbike.

Good luck with that one.

As usual the "doomsday" crowd is posting the usual nonsense.bah.gif

There are some good posts here too.... One wonders why thousands of people come back to the islands every year, some more than once a year.

Hundreds of people every day, do day trips to Koh Toa, or the Marine Park and thoroughly enjoy themselves..... as they do here on Samui or any of the islands, they all have good things to offer, to please about anyones taste and budget. .

Bar areas are the places to avoid, Chawang, mostly on Samui, which could be described a "concrete jungle" .... Haad Rin on KP would be another place to avoid unless in to the party scene.

Enjoy the stay, wherever you end up staying! thumbsup.gif

Yes you should go to Koh Toa...

A lot of bad things have happend on the Island but in reality considering the number of people who go to the island the risk is small.

For me I chose to boycott the Island in protest that there are those beyond the law who control the island and the clear fabrication of evidence used to convict the B2.

It is not just KT but KPG and Samui that need a clean sweep of corrupt officials, I see that the Army have taken over administration of Pattaya, if things do improve there then hopefully the Samui islands and Phuket will be next.

I agree. Those crimes don't happen on Koh Tao on a daily or a regular basis. It can happen anytime, anywhere! t's fine to go to Koh Tao if you're really in for diving and snorkeling activities. Pangan and Lanta are also good to check out.