Powerbank.

I have a Samsung copy of a 10ins tablet, but the battery only lasts about two hours, I am soon going on a flight to the UK which takes about 12 hours, and would like

to get a powerbank that recharges my tablet quickly after I watch a movie.

I was previously advised to get one with a 2.1 power out, is this the most powerful powerbank? Can anyone recommend a certain make of powerbank which would

charge my tablet rather quickly? Thank you.

Instead of waiting for the tablet to run out of power, connect the power bank from the time you start using the tablet onboard. The power banks that charge extra fast usually require a tablet with the technology to take advantage of fast charging. A cheap copy will not have that. A lot of international flights even in economy now have a seat charging point so take a reasonably long charging cable with you and you may not even need to use the power bank.

A suitable power bank for long trips would be 10000mah. Many power banks have 2.1 charging which is fine. Any larger and they get very heavy or are likely to be fake. Don't buy the cheapest power bank you see as to a certain extent you do get what you pay for e.g. a 50000mah model for 500 baht is like buying a 256GB USB for 500 baht, both will not be what they say they are.

Edited by kkerry

Instead of waiting for the tablet to run out of power, connect the power bank from the time you start using the tablet onboard. The power banks that charge extra fast usually require a tablet with the technology to take advantage of fast charging. A cheap copy will not have that. A lot of international flights even in economy now have a seat charging point so take a reasonably long charging cable with you and you may not even need to use the power bank.

A suitable power bank for long trips would be 10000mah. Many power banks have 2.1 charging which is fine. Any larger and they get very heavy or are likely to be fake. Don't buy the cheapest power bank you see as to a certain extent you do get what you pay for e.g. a 50000mah model for 500 baht is like buying a 256GB USB for 500 baht, both will not be what they say they are.

Excellent answer. Thanks.

I've used a 30,000 mAh generic powerbank purchased from Lazada for less than B500 for two years and it has been dependable with no problems. I fly a lot and use it as a back-up for a 10" tablet I use for viewing TV series up to 8 hours at a time. I have found that although most modern airplanes have USB power ports, they are not well maintained and are often out of service or so loose that the connection is intermittent.

Actually, if I were buying a power bank today for the same use, I would buy no larger than a 20,000 mAh unit. Airlines and airport security are paying closer attention to power banks and I have been asked several times at security screenings to remove my 30K unit for inspection. It has never been confiscated but I think that size could become borderline in the near future. Even with 8 to 10 hours use powering my 10" tablet, I have never fully drained the 30K unit and I think 15 to 20K will probably do the job.

Edited by dddave

30 Ah capacity? really? I seriously doubt this.

That's the capacity of a small car's battery. Even with the latest Li-Ion technologies, such a battery would be the size (and the weight) of a brick.

Some of these power banks are advertised with completely unrealistic capacities on internet shops...

That's the capacity of a small car's battery. Even with the latest Li-Ion technologies, such a battery would be the size (and the weight) of a brick.

Some of these power banks are advertised with completely unrealistic capacities on internet shops...

The fact that that it consistently powers a 10" tablet for 8+ contiguous hours with power to spare is a pretty fair indication that it's power rating is not far off.

Hardly the size of a brick: 9oz, (250g), a bit larger than a king size pack of cigarettes.

The fact that that it consistently powers a 10" tablet for 8+ contiguous hours with power to spare is a pretty fair indication that it's power rating is not far off.

Hardly the size of a brick: 9oz, (250g), a bit larger than a king size pack of cigarettes.

Well, considering that a high-end 10" tablet can run over 14 hours over a 7,900 mAH battery, no I don't think that proves anything: http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-10-5-review-battery-life-verdict-page-3#tr-review-summary

But if believing in this 30,000 mAH figure makes you feel good, who am I to tell otherwise eh?

Just book a flight that has a USB charger socket in the chair.

Indeed. All gulf companies at least have them now.

Another issue is that these big Chinese no-name powerbanks are a safety hazard aboard planes. They've caused several serious incidents already.

For those with cigarette pack sized "30Ah" banks.

This is a commercial 3.2V 20Ah (64Wh) polymer cell http://www.batteryspace.com/high-power-lfp-polymer-cell-3-2v-20ah-100122200-2c-64wh-40a-rate-un38-3-passed-dgr.aspx note that it is 201mm(7.9") x 123mm(4.8") x 11mm(0.4") and weighs 1.0lb 1.92 Oz (512grams)

5455wou.png

Rather bigger than a pack of 20.

It's also worth noting that batteries over 100Wh (about 28Ah) may require airline approval even in carry on. Since it is the labelling on the unit that security staff will use in determining whether to permit it on board it's worth sourcing one that's not overly optimistic.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Since it is the labelling on the unit that security staff will use in determining whether to permit it on board it's worth sourcing one that's not overly optimistic.

I traveled recently with two ~ 10,000 mAh battery packs (Anker, STIN Joltbox). Security departing SBIA/BKK did carefully examine these packs, looking at the labels. TSA in the U.S. (arriving/connecting flight, first departing flight) did not, but I was using Pre-Check, so less "enhanced" security.

I wouldn't believe the 30,000 mAh figure unless I threw out my back picking it up.