True Internet refuses to close my account and keeps charging me every month.

Humanoid

In the beginning of April, I moved out of my old condo. After I moved out, I went to a True Shop, showed them my passport, gave them my new address, and canceled my account.

I should have one more bill showing up for one last month, so I waited for the last bill to show up in my mail.

After a while of the bill not showing up I became suspicious so I emailed them and told them I have not received my last bill after I changed my address and cancelled my account.

They replied saying that my account is still active, and to give them the True branch that I went to to cancel the account. I told them which branch, and they replied saying that they have contacted them and are waiting for their reply.

After 3 weeks that they didn't get back to me, I logged into the online billing website and saw that they are still adding more monthly charges to the account.

I told them to stop adding charges because I already canceled the account, but they keep telling me to wait for the true shop to give them an update.

I told them that I don't have any True Internet in my home, and that I already cancelled the account, but they still keep replying to me to just wait for the true shop to give them an update.

Now, as I keep waiting for their true shop to give them an update, the online billing website says that I owe them for 3 months of internet service, and it's surely going to keep going up because they refuse to cancel my account, and keep telling me to wait while they add more monthly charges. They keep telling me that they will get back to me shortly.

They told me that they don't have the right to cancel the account. But I told them that I have that right, and that I already canceled it. And that they don't have the right to keep charging my account for a cancelled service that I cannot even use since there is no True connection at my condo.

How do I cancel the account? Should I continue emailing them every day to tell them to cancel my account? Or should I do as they say, which is to just sit here and wait for the true shop to update them, while they keep adding charges to my account every month?

Most Internet accounts in Thailand that I know of are on a yearly contracts. It means that if a customers tries to cancel the account before the year is finish then the customer is still responsible for paying the monthly rental fee until the 12 month contract is finished. This I guess has happened in your case.

No, my 12th month was the last bill that I was waiting for but never received. They are falsely charging me for a 13th, month, and then added a 14th month. And if they don't stop this nonsense, there will be a 15th month soon. All for a service that I already cancelled, and don't even have in my condo.

It's actually possible to cancel before the 1 year contract too, with a fee. So contract or no contract, when somebody cancels a service, you're supposed to stop adding monthly charges, and not tell the person to "wait" while they wait for an update from their own people, and keep adding more monthly charges.

(to MyFrenU who thinks it's easy to just not pay: you won't think it's so easy when a collection agent starts calling your house every day and following you around until you pay the false charges.)

i have had a similar thing with true where i went into their office in robinsons and cancelled my account about three weeks later I got a bill and they kept on coming I had already paid for twelve months and they used some excuse about no ID

and when I pointed out the year before I had put my internet on hold for a couple of months over the phone and had no ID

so they just hung up.

I rang them back and they asked if I wanted the number for true in Robinsons and I asked was that not their job but they would not contact them so I just left it. and I was told they took the dish ect and no deposit was returned .

it appears when a thai worker makes an error the customer pays . still amazing.

"(to MyFrenU who thinks it's easy to just not pay: you won't think it's so easy when a collection agent starts calling your house every day and following you around until you pay the false charges.)"

So this has actually happened or are you just making this up?I've been to the bank before to cancel these types of payments and nothing has happened,of course if you want to keep paying and be taken for an absolute mug...facepalm.gif

Nearly 6 years in Thailand, And i think i have cancel 5-6 time with True Internet as i have move a lot around.

All contract have being for 12 month, But one can cancel after 6 month pay.

They do the 12 month contract as one "normal" signup and get that and that promotion.

Like where i live now, My 12 month is all much finish, And i am ask to come to shop again to signup for new 12 month as True Internet have new promotion.

Every single time i cancel my contract, The True shop i go too to cancel have giving me paper saying.

I being at XXXX shop on XX-XX-XXX date talking to "name of person i talk too" to cancel my internet.

The cancel date will be on XX-XX-XXXX.

This have being in Bangkok and Nonthaburi area i live.

If one don´t have "proof" of cancel, one might have problems.

Only infomation giving here.

JJ Madcow, They didn't give me any paper, and the thought of asking for some paper didn't cross my mind, since I've never experienced anything like this before in my life. This was the True Shop on South Pattaya Road next to TukCom. In the future, I will ask for a paper, and make sure it has their signature on it, and get a photocopy of their ID card, but they'll probably refuse, so I'll also have to get everything on video, and bring 20 witnesses, and leave some permanent graffiti on their walls saying "Humanoid Wuz Here!" with the date.

zoza, really sucks that they did that to you. At least I didn't give them any deposit for anything, but who knows how many more months of charges they will continue to add to my bill, because this is still ongoing, and they still refuse to cancel the non-existing service!

I don't believe for a second that what they're doing is an honest mistake. Why don't they just cancel the non-existing service already? There's no excuse for that.

Next time when you cancel it ask for a receipt of acknowledgement, that it is pending cancellation. If you have that you can prove that you cancelled it at the bank, and stop automatic payments. If not? You going to keep paying till they decide its enough.

Almost everyone i know, including myself have had bad experiences with True, their customer service is highly unprofessional.

I'm currently experiencing the same with 3BB. 12 month contract paid in advance, I went to cancel in 11th month not requesting service to stop for 12th month, saved paperwork of course (TIT). So now 3BB sending a bill for service that month (which I ignore).

Collections agencies in Thailand following up on official bills? Can't say I have ever heard of that.

I had a similar situation with what was then CS Loxinfo some years ago with an Internet account. I cancelled the account, but they didn't cancel it at their end and there was a disputed balance of a couple of thousand baht. I never had any collection agents follow me, never had any problems entering or exiting the country, in fact never had any problems whatsoever....

(to MyFrenU who thinks it's easy to just not pay: you won't think it's so easy when a collection agent starts calling your house every day and following you around until you pay the false charges.)

Most Internet accounts in Thailand that I know of are on a yearly contracts. It means that if a customers tries to cancel the account before the year is finish then the customer is still responsible for paying the monthly rental fee until the 12 month contract is finished. This I guess has happened in your case.

Yeah I've had this problem with True cable this time back, no cable.

No, my 12th month was the last bill that I was waiting for but never received. They are falsely charging me for a 13th, month, and then added a 14th month. And if they don't stop this nonsense, there will be a 15th month soon. All for a service that I already cancelled, and don't even have in my condo.

It's actually possible to cancel before the 1 year contract too, with a fee. So contract or no contract, when somebody cancels a service, you're supposed to stop adding monthly charges, and not tell the person to "wait" while they wait for an update from their own people, and keep adding more monthly charges.

None of this makes any sense. Anyway, good luck hope you get it sorted.

If the local shop or the Help Line can't resolve it, go up the chain.

Write a registered letter to the CEO, outlining the facts, and say that you expect a reply within 7 days.

Only one problem with this idea. It works in your home country...but TIT

I never had any direct debit arrangements with them. When I wanted to cancel contract early they said bring in the router and tv box thing. I took all into a branch (later realising i forgot the remote). I was busy that day and they kept me waiting for an extremely long time. In the end i left the equipment on a coffee table in the waiting room and just walked out.

I was leaving my condo too but landlord told me I had some letters from them. I revieved a call from true awhile later asking why I havnt paid my bills. I said i had closed the account already. They said i need to bring in the equipment. I said i did. I think the guys poor english skills didnt give him to confidence to pursue it further. He just said ok and that was the last I heard about it.

Seems that the OP is not prepared to answer the MyFrenU challenge to substantiate the harrying claim. Until we see that the conclusion seems to be that the OP prefers whining to taking obvious protective measures.

JJ Madcow, They didn't give me any paper, and the thought of asking for some paper didn't cross my mind, since I've never experienced anything like this before in my life.

Seriously?

You were in a contract with them and you cancelled it without getting any paperwork?

I presume when you set it up they made sure they got some. Probably should have been a bit of a clue.

I had exactly the same problem.

I assume that you had the True service for a full year in your old condo, correct?

If you then spoke to them and they could not continue to offer their service in your new condo there is no alternative other then cancel the contract. This is because "they" are no longer able to provide you with the service.

I would simply ask them to book installation in your new condo, when they tell you they cannot then throw it back and say ok,what now?

Also, write a very clear letter to them stating that you have no chic but to cancel the contract as "they" are unfortunately not able to continue providing you with a service at your new address.

Not much more you can do.

to MyFrenU who thinks it's easy to just not pay: you won't think it's so easy when a collection agent starts calling your house every day and following you around until you pay the false charges.)

Don't give them your new address.

Indeed, collection agencies do exist in Thailand. I've seen a letter from collection agency sent to my gf who owed money for her student loan, and the letter was threatening to take the parents (who co-signed) to court to take away their home. There were no problems earlier with her late payments, but changes in regulations in recent years made things more strict, so back pay was demanded to come earlier and faster, causing the collection agency letter to be sent with the threat. Luckily the back payment was paid, so no court appearance was necessary.

And True does go after people who have unpaid bills. My gf used to have True internet in chonburi a few years ago, she cancelled the account and moved back to the north-east. True falsely claimed that she didn't cancel and also refused to just cancel it over the phone after discussing it. Since there was no True office in her province, she actually went to a neighboring province 3 hours away to cancel the account in person! And then somebody (either True or a collection agency) was calling her every day for the unpaid bill, so she eventually paid the bill.

To MyFrenU and SantiSuk, here's an interesting link I found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collection_agency

I think it will answer all your questions and suspicions.

As for those who are talking about automatic payments. I never had automatic payments set up with True, so those charges are not yet paid. But they are accumulating on the bill. The only reason I know they are accumulating on the bill is because I can see the bill online over here:

http://iservice.truecorp.co.th/

However, I never got a single bill in the mail, because it seems that went I went to the True shop to cancel the service and change my address, not only did they not cancel the service, but they didn't change my address either. So they are very likely still sending the bills to my old address.

It's amazing, because when I went to the True branch (with my passport), I actually displayed my new address on my phone, and handed over my phone to the girl so she could copy the address without mistakes, and I actually watched her meticulously copy my new address into the computer! Yet, True still doesn't have my new address! It's as if all that time, she was copying my address directly into /dev/null;

I'll repost a potentially useful TV post from a few years ago.

I was having problems with TOT a few months ago not providing internet service, billing me and stringing me along for 6 weeks with, "Will fix tomorrow!"or "Yes! So sorry! Many people complain, so sorry! Server is broken, will fix this week!"

So, I was considering going the rout of complaining to a government office, some on Thaivisa have claimed they have gotten prompt action as soon as an official from one of these agencies gives the offending party a phone call. I haven't tried it, in the end I decided it was easier to to just suck it in, pay the extortion and cancel with TOT, luckily their unfairness ended there and we are not continuing to be billed with no service. If I lived in Bangkok I may have gone through with a complaint but since the offices are quite far away I decided not to risk going through yet another difficult ordeal with the govt. office concerned

You can try these, though I think the links are not working now. I was able to find their new websites however via our friend Google:

"National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission. http://www.nbtc.go.t.../portal/NTC/eng

This agency deals with any problems related to your phone or internet or cable provider.

This includes, wrong billing, no service, warranty on phones sold by telco and everything else related.

Again, all companies are aware of this agency,but most people are not. Hence all the problems.

Personal experience just to illustrate: My business phone bill was always 2 weeks late and each time Telco would disconnect the phone for non payment.

After contacting NBTC, while on hold, they contacted Telco, my phone was switched back on in less than 3 mins and has never been disconnected again, even if i was late to pay the bills.

NCPO Thai government. 24 hour Call Center 1111 http://www.1111.go.th/

They deal with any and all complaints related to anything and everything.

Noise, schools, retailers, builders, police or anything else.

Call to this agency and call from them to the other party solves problems within 24 hours"

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

"Indeed, collection agencies do exist in Thailand. I've seen a letter from collection agency sent to my gf who owed money for her student loan, and the letter was threatening to take the parents (who co-signed) to court to take away their home."

This is a secured loan and standard practice in any country,True don't have your new address or bank details,are they just going to knock on every door in Thailand until they see a face they recognise?
I owe True Visions around 10,000 Thai Baht for 3 months of their woeful Platinum service that they refused to knock even a single satang off the bill after they lost the English Premier League and when I left Bangkok just left their internet service running so probably owe another 5,000 or so for that.
They are an awful company and I'm very happy knowing they will never do business with me ever again,nor will they receive a single satang in payment from me for what I supposedly owe them CTH is a much better company anyway for cable/satellite TV IMHO!