Bangkok trash collection could soon cost eight times more

webfact

Bangkok trash collection could soon cost eight times more

s7p.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The BMA is closely following proposals now with the Interior Ministry to dramatically increase refuse collection charges in Bangkok.

If the increases go through it could also mean changes to other communities nationwide, reported Daily News.

At present households are charged just 20 baht per month in the capital but the regulations are woefully out of date meaning the authority have a massive shortfall.

They propose that a one size fits all charge of 170 baht per month would pay for the service. There are also discussions taking place as to whether there should be a sliding scale of charges based on the quantity of rubbish that might encourage household to produce less waste.

The BMA said that at present revenue for rubbish collection in the capital is only 500 million baht while the actual cost is 6.5 billion baht.

Outside Bangkok the cost to authorities is 13 billion baht while revenue is just 2.3 billion baht at present.

The 170 baht fee would be split up into 70 for collection and 100 for taking away.

Comment online was generally supportive so long as that meant an improvement in services with some suggesting that the BMA must stick to collection times and provide proper bins so that rubbish could be properly separated for recycling purposes.

One commentator Kruacake said: "Some new trucks would be a good idea and the service needs to improve. I have seen crews cherry pick rubbish for stuff they can sell on then just dump what they have collected by the side of the road. If you don't believe me, follow them one day."

The proposals are currently under discussion at a ministry level before recommendations are made to the relevant government department for a final decision.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-27

They are catching up with the west in raising fees and taxes in leaps and bounds , I cant believe they could subsidize rubbish collection for so long. 20 bht per month.I wonder if there will be a public outcry over this.

Better stop selling low quality plastic goods which are broken in a few weeks time. I guess 80% of the garbage consists of plastic.

And why do those people from the pictures use those big black binbags? We re-use shoppingbags for garbage and keep them in a basket in the binhouse.

Don't really care if they increase the fee for

Garbage collection as long as they require

The trucks be wash and cleaned with some

type of disinfectant each night, industrial

Bleach would be great. I don't know much

About BKK; in Pattaya/Jomtien they stink so

Bad I don't know why the Minister of Health

Hasn't done something about this, the employees

Must be getting sick all the time!!

Edited by little mary sunshine

Better stop selling low quality plastic goods which are broken in a few weeks time. I guess 80% of the garbage consists of plastic.

And why do those people from the pictures use those big black binbags? We re-use shoppingbags for garbage and keep them in a basket in the binhouse.

Thanks Thian now I know why they give me a 24 hour warranty on some things and 7 days on others. 30 days is a stretch and for TV's etc. a year. I always buy the extended warranty as I figure after 3 years I am close to break even. With the warranty if it quits after a year I save it from going into the trash by excersizing the warranty. I get 2 years out of a recliner if I am lucky its Thai or Chinese made. I think they give me 30 days on the basic chair and 6 months on the mechanism. Yes your right if they produced quality goods it would cut the garbage in half but then the price would go up drastically. Most things sold here seem to be built with a good idea of when it will expire literally. I am sure the rich corporations that produce these goods could care less if they break makes for more sales let the garbage be someone else's problem.

Edited by elgordo38

"...whether there should be a sliding scale of charges based on the quantity of rubbish that might encourage household to produce less waste." No, it would encourage households to burn their garbage like they do in provinces.

Thanks Thian now I know why they give me a 24 hour warranty on some things and 7 days on others. 30 days is a stretch and for TV's etc. a year. I always buy the extended warranty as I figure after 3 years I am close to break even. With the warranty if it quits after a year I save it from going into the trash by excersizing the warranty. I get 2 years out of a recliner if I am lucky its Thai or Chinese made. I think they give me 30 days on the basic chair and 6 months on the mechanism. Yes your right if they produced quality goods it would cut the garbage in half but then the price would go up drastically. Most things sold here seem to be built with a good idea of when it will expire literally. I am sure the rich corporations that produce these goods could care less if they break makes for more sales let the garbage be someone else's problem.

So true - over the last 11 years I have bought more office chairs than I care to remember, ranging from 3-18K baht. They always break and disintegrate before a year, one lasted only one day!

Finally got a Herman Miller Aeron with a 12 year warrantee. That will be the first chair (or anything but vehicles) I bought in thailand not ending up in a dump somewhere in a year.

Why should they charge more for garbage collection. The vast majority of Thais dispose of their trash themselves whether it be out the window of their vehicles, down some quiet little soi and also into the klongs.

....no distinction between commercial and residential....???

There is already a distinction. The business I work for pays 320 baht a month for an apartment building that has about 50 rooms for rent.

If the rate is increased at the same rate then we will pay 2,720 baht per month, on top of 12.5% of all rental income that we pay to the district and then corporation tax paid to the government on the remainder.

Charge is 40 baht per month where I live. We pay but many don't and just throw their garbage over the back wall of the village.

When they first started charging, collection was almost everyday, which over time became once a week if lucky, and anyone's guess as to which day of the week they would come by. Now it's mostly the same day of the week which is acceptable.

Why should they charge more for garbage collection. The vast majority of Thais dispose of their trash themselves whether it be out the window of their vehicles, down some quiet little soi and also into the klongs.

Ya think they'd pay 170 baht a month for something and not use the heck out of it?

Charge is 40 baht per month where I live. We pay but many don't and just throw their garbage over the back wall of the village.

When they first started charging, collection was almost everyday, which over time became once a week if lucky, and anyone's guess as to which day of the week they would come by. Now it's mostly the same day of the week which is acceptable.

You must live in the same place as us, except that collection hasn't improved.

We never know when they are coming. I've known them come 2 days in a row and sometimes 10 days in between.

My Thai neighbours don't seem to care that dogs ravage their plastic bags and rats run around scavaging for food.

We all know how smelly garbage gets in the tropics. After a summer in Canada, our Thai daughter proposed a compost pile.

If you have a tiny patch of ground out of the way, throw all your fruit and vegetable peels there. In BKK, I would not compost any kind of cooked food or eggshells as these could attract rats.

No smell at all and our compost continues to turn into nice soil for our pot plants. (No, no, no! Not thart kind of pot!)

If you sell your paper, cans, plastic, bottles to the local recycling man who comes around, and compost your scraps, you'll cut down on garbage considerably. Family of three, we only fill one five-gallon bucket once a week.

My only complaints are the recycling guys won't take household batteries or Tetra-packs.

Edited by facthailand

No, the vast majority don't do that.

Edited by gdgbb

Does this mean they will finally be able to afford to wash their trucks? You can smell them coming five miles away. They think they don't need to wash them because they are just going to put garbage back in them the next day.

Believe it or not but some years ago there was a parkinglot for those trucks (plus recycling of materials) right infront of the most expensive moobaan of BKK where many expats live. (That moobaan which is connected to Central Chaengwattana).

You could smell them from far away and i never understood why that had to be infront of the entrance of all those rich guys.

Believe it or not but some years ago there was a parkinglot for those trucks (plus recycling of materials) right infront of the most expensive moobaan of BKK where many expats live. (That moobaan which is connected to Central Chaengwattana).

You could smell them from far away and i never understood why that had to be infront of the entrance of all those rich guys.

I live here in that moo baan. I can't complain of any smells.....but I will complain they yell at each other to move the truck up and down the street. So at 4 am, hearing Thai guys yell (what sounds like) "YOOOOOOO!" is a little annoying. But, I just go back to sleep.

Don't really care if they increase the fee for

Garbage collection as long as they require

The trucks be wash and cleaned with some

type of disinfectant each night, industrial

Bleach would be great. I don't know much

About BKK; in Pattaya/Jomtien they stink so

Bad I don't know why the Minister of Health

Hasn't done something about this, the employees

Must be getting sick all the time!!

There is a simple answer to your question. Sloth. Indifference. Incompetence. Nepotism. Greed. But, mostly incompetence.

There's trash collection in Bangkok???!! You'd never know that, as the whole of downtown smells like a filthy rubbish dump. I have visited dozens of cities worldwide and none smell as bad as Bangkok. Heaps of decaying rubbish bags (and the huge rats and cockroaches they attract) are piled everywhere. Simply disgusting.

I live here in that moo baan. I can't complain of any smells.....but I will complain they yell at each other to move the truck up and down the street. So at 4 am, hearing Thai guys yell (what sounds like) "YOOOOOOO!" is a little annoying. But, I just go back to sleep.

I don't think you live in that moobaan next to Central Chaengwattana because i remember your story about thieves at your house. That moobaan (sorry i forgot the name but it's a big name) is highly protected. Only the entrance of it looks awfull and they have (had?) all those recyclers right next to their driveway.

In our moobaan those guys also yell but make even more noise with the metal doors of the binhouses. They also refuse to close those doors.

Anyway i'm happy they do that job and i understand the reason they do it at night.

Sometimes they only take 1 binbag at every house, even where there are more than one. Don't know the reason for that.

So true - over the last 11 years I have bought more office chairs than I care to remember, ranging from 3-18K baht. They always break and disintegrate before a year, one lasted only one day!

Finally got a Herman Miller Aeron with a 12 year warrantee. That will be the first chair (or anything but vehicles) I bought in thailand not ending up in a dump somewhere in a year.

After I lost some weight office chairs lasted a lot longer and my last chair is more then 4 years old from Ikea. So it might be a combination of your weight (usually the springs gave out) and where you bought your chairs.

Most chairs are ok if your under 90-100 kg.. but above that not many survive long.