PM Prayut asks Thais to stop eating wildlife meat dishes

webfact

PM asks Thais to stop eating wildlife meat dishes

2906003-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said Wednesday that he would see to it that restaurants that serve dishes made of wildlife meat must be closed down and he would like Thais to stop eating wildlife meat for the sake of the wild animals.

Giving a speech on the occasion of the World Wildlife Day, the prime minister said many Thais who eat wildlife meat dishes because they believe that the meat has aphrodisiac properties or is good for health, hence subjecting the wild animals to being hunted down for their meat.

“If they want food which is good for health, they should just go to a drug store and buy the vitamins. Tiger’s gall, bear’s gall means the life of an animal like a human being,” said the prime minister as he urged Thais to help in saving wildlife.

He admitted that he didn’t know which side is to blame between elephants and humans when the former encroached on a plantation to eat its fruits because their natural habitat has diminished due to human encroachment on forest.

So he suggested that both humans and wildlife should co-exist peacefully as wildlife and wild plants are facing extinction.

The prime minister, however, admitted that he was powerless to stop people from eating shark fins.

“Many people think they (shark fins) are delicious. But if they have seen how the sharks had their fins cut off, they might stop eating them,” he said, adding that he used to eat shark fins but has stopped eating them now because he has pity on them.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/170594-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-30

Instead of politely asking Thais to stop eating wildlife, why does he not tell the police to impose the bloody law?

It is his opinion. It is not a law; so police can do nothing. I sure if a snake came to your house; you would kill it.

Someone would eat it and give you a nice belt and wallet.

The first time I went to Chiang Mai, just over three decades ago now, 'Jungle' Restaurants were well advertised, and legal, offering things like Barbecued Bear's Paws and the like. I never went to one myself, but I remember reading their menus. Which were quite 'diverse'.

I supposed it was always going to happen that this industry would be driven underground.

It is totally unnecessary to be killing and eating these animals, but is it any worse than those 'elites' of this world who pay out big bucks to shoot big game in Africa just for the fun of it. Notwithstanding the weapons and technology they use today give the animals no chance whatsoever and does not come under the heading of 'Hunting' in my book. Like this moron below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/11767119/Cecil-the-lions-killer-revealed-as-American-dentist.html

I used to be an avid 'Shooter' in my youth. But I stopped killing wild animals many, many years ago.

I'm a bit like a 'reformed smoker' on the subject now.

Instead of politely asking Thais to stop eating wildlife, why does he not tell the police to impose the bloody law?

It is his opinion. It is not a law; so police can do nothing. I sure if a snake came to your house; you would kill it.

Surely there has to be a law somewhere which states that serving Tiger at restaurants is illegal?

Shark fins r tasteless without vinegar n has no properties or anything that does good for your health. Its not even tasteful delicious in anyway. I always get fed sharkfins at wedding banquets when i was young n after a few times decided its shitty n never ate it since.

Surely there has to be a law somewhere which states that serving Tiger at restaurants is illegal?

There are a lot of laws on the books here. Very few enforced except at "Show and tell times" Roll cameras, action. Where is that massage parlor owner?

Shark fins r tasteless without vinegar n has no properties or anything that does good for your health. Its not even tasteful delicious in anyway. I always get fed sharkfins at wedding banquets when i was young n after a few times decided its shitty n never ate it since.

All the 10 course Chinese style weddingparties have a course of sharkfinsoup in BKK. It's just a slimey soup, nothing special.

All the big hotels sell it, it's just tradition just like the sucking pig which comes before the shark.

I wished the Thai started eating their soidogs, get tired of them.

PM makes a good point and gets bashed.. amazing Thaisvisa.

Sorry rob but the junta leader just said he can do nothing to stop people eating shark fin, B______T, Article 44,,, He likes to throw that around a lot but for this, nnaaahhh, so yeah he's being criticized and he deserves it... He likes to use Article 44 to gaol people that criticize the junta and the forced referendum, and gaoling people with red bowls and students. Why do people like this pelican?

So correct me if I'm wrong. He says that bladder etc is good for health but to spare wild animals you should buy vitamins instead? ? The Thais have officials that believes in curing diseases and get better health with testicles, rhino horns etc