Thai students took home 38 medals from international mathematics competition

webfact

Thai students took home 38 medals from international mathematics competition

ss.jpg

BANGKOK, 18 July 2016 (NNT) - A group of Thai students have brought home medals from the latest international mathematics competition held in Hong Kong.

Sixteen primary-school students from Thailand, who have participated in the Primary Mathematics World Contest, which recently took place in Hong Kong, returned home with several awards and medals.

In summary, the Thai students brought back 15 gold medals, seven silver medals, eight bronze medals and eight consolation awards.

The annual competition in 2016 was joined by 140 teams of students from 15 countries.

Among the winners from Thailand are Prankrit Siripichitsuppapol from Wat Don Thong School in Chachoengsao Province, Kongpop Piyakamollanon from Kasetsart University Laboratory School Center for Educational Research and Development and Kitti Opasmathekul from Chulalongkorn University Demonstration Secondary School.

A team of students from Suteetorn Kindergarten in Nakhon Thanom Province for their cultural performance titled “Proud to Be” while Thailand also won other awards for team efforts.

Thailand is set to host primary and secondary mathematics contests during August 4 and 20 in Chiang Mai Province.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-18 footer_n.gif

All participation medals perhaps. Don't recall Thai education in math or any other subjects is such high caliber that they could surpass all other Asian countries.

Edited by jerojero

All participation medals perhaps. Don't recall Thai education in math or any other subjects is such high caliber that they could surpass all other Asian countries.

Thai education doesnt have to be good, you just need 15 good students and then can forget about the other couple of million.

Yes, reports like this surface every time there's a bunfight in South-East Asia. The criteria for awarding the medals is never stated. The number of medals is never stated. The medals won by other countries is never state. It's quite possible, there's at least some of the medals were given to students finding the right building, We just don't know. In short, it's a meaningless piece of amateurish journalism which the authors can only hope is taken out of context to demonstrate how clever Thai people are. In a different context, it would be amusing, but set against the tragic backdrop of Thailand's education system, it has a certain whimsy about it.

The results (which imply that Thai students are somehow mathematical geniuses) sit extremely uncomfortably with what we already know about the Thai education system, and what the Thai government itself reports the mean IQ in Thailand to be (89, as opposed to a global mean of 103, with the mean IQ of students in some areas of the north of Thailand falling under 70). It's just another chapter in the ongoing Thai education tragedy.

This article is just a puff piece, without merit, and useful only for wrapping your fried fish in. The only thing missing, is for each student to have a framed photograph of their third cousin, twice removed, to proclaim to the world that they're dedicating their medals to him to give him all the glory for them winning a medal. It's all a bit sad, and it's all a bit pathetic. Propaganda, indoctrination, and knowing who to grovel to will trump education and thought in Thailand every time.

I've got a horrible feeling feeling today is not going to be a good day for useful news in Thailand.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Great to see that here are 15 smart students in all of Thailand. Contrats to them!

The few other millions that attend a crappy school every day, will now have someone to look up to.

Yes, reports like this surface every time there's a bunfight in Southeast Asia. The criteria for awarding the medals is never stated. The number of medals is never stated. The medals won by other countries is never stated.

And the results (which imply that Thai students are somehow mathematical geniuses) sit extremely uncomfortably with what we already know about the Thai education system, and not the Thai government itself reports the mean IQ in Thailand to be (89, as opposed to a global mean of 103).

All of which means this article is just a puff piece, without merit, and useful only for wrapping your fried fish in.

I've got a horrible feeling feeling today is not going to be a good day for useful news in Thailand.

Winnie

Instead of always taking the piss out of anything Thai people accomplish which seems to be the norm with you, why not just congratulate the students for a job well done.

It seems it's a legit competition as per there 2015 competition.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.poleungkuk.org.hk/en/joint-schools-districts-world-competition/primary-mathematics-world-contest.html&ved=0ahUKEwiVivSTiPzNAhVHNI8KHVgUBTYQFggZMAA&usg=AFQjCNEh8NK6VNLViXza2nDlrRus85RhrQ

Edited by Rayk

ahh good old TV again, can't but help Thai bashing, even on a story about some students doing well in a competition.

I guess it is too difficult to read past the headline and your own dumb prejudices:

In summary, the Thai students brought back 15 gold medals, seven silver medals, eight bronze medals and eight consolation awards

Thai Visa did not write the article, National News Bureau wrote it. If you would like to complain to them about their reporting skills, you can do so here:

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/contact_us/index

ahh good old TV again, can't but help Thai bashing, even on a story about some students doing well in a competition.

I guess it is too difficult to read past the headline and your own dumb prejudices:

In summary, the Thai students brought back 15 gold medals, seven silver medals, eight bronze medals and eight consolation awards

Well, I guess it was too diffilcult to look up the actual web site of the contest either, hey?

Please surf to http://www.poleungkuk.org.hk/en/joint-schools-districts-world-competition/primary-mathematics-world-contest.html

Note especially 'The Winners' section, in each category, no Thai or Thai school to be found....

Typical junta propaganda this article, Thai education has still a long way to go and is light years away from the level of say, Bulgaria or Hong Kong.

Thai education doesnt have to be good, you just need 15 good students and then can forget about the other couple of million.

[/quote

The dedicated few win by a country mile. These are the few that will prosper in the future. Possible future Bill Gates or Warren Buffets well then there is the rest of the students stuck to their Iphones and pads. We live in a world of distraction and before we know it the future is upon us. Its all fun and games until suddenly it is not.

Well, I guess it was too diffilcult to look up the actual web site of the contest either, hey?

Please surf to http://www.poleungkuk.org.hk/en/joint-schools-districts-world-competition/primary-mathematics-world-contest.html

Note especially 'The Winners' section, in each category, no Thai or Thai school to be found....

Typical junta propaganda this article, Thai education has still a long way to go and is light years away from the level of say, Bulgaria or Hong Kong.

Aww diddums, did someone say something bad about the TV posters?

Must be a big conspiracy by the junta then - <deleted>!

Funny, I can see Bangkok on those lists on that website

Yes, reports like this surface every time there's a bunfight in South-East Asia. The criteria for awarding the medals is never stated. The number of medals is never stated. The medals won by other countries is never state. It's quite possible, there's at least some of the medals were given to students finding the right building, We just don't know. In short, it's a meaningless piece of amateurish journalism which the authors can only hope is taken out of context to demonstrate how clever Thai people are. In a different context, it would be amusing, but set against the tragic backdrop of Thailand's education system, it has a certain whimsy about it.

The results (which imply that Thai students are somehow mathematical geniuses) sit extremely uncomfortably with what we already know about the Thai education system, and what the Thai government itself reports the mean IQ in Thailand to be (89, as opposed to a global mean of 103, with the mean IQ of students in some areas of the north of Thailand falling under 70). It's just another chapter in the ongoing Thai education tragedy.

This article is just a puff piece, without merit, and useful only for wrapping your fried fish in. The only thing missing, is for each student to have a framed photograph of their third cousin, twice removed, to proclaim to the world that they're dedicating their medals to him to give him all the glory for them winning a medal. It's all a bit sad, and it's all a bit pathetic. Propaganda, indoctrination, and knowing who to grovel to will trump education and thought in Thailand every time.

Winnie

Winnie

Thanks Winnie for your enlightened prose. I suppose it's true that when they taught you to speak and write in English they completely forgot to mention speaking the truth and not pouring scorn on the efforts of others when one has made no effort to determine the facts of the case.

Congratulations to these children for their efforts. Huge praise to the organisation that has been running this competition since 1997.

You and at least one other oaf said no one knows who else was competing. It took me no time to find the website that shows exactly who was there.

It's also very easy to discover the kind of questions these children faced. I would have posted some examples but you would have lied again and made a snide remark about how easy they are: they are not easy.

I would delete your stupid remarks if I were you and replace them with something much more appropriate.

Yes, reports like this surface every time there's a bunfight in Southeast Asia. The criteria for awarding the medals is never stated. The number of medals is never stated. The medals won by other countries is never stated.

And the results (which imply that Thai students are somehow mathematical geniuses) sit extremely uncomfortably with what we already know about the Thai education system, and not the Thai government itself reports the mean IQ in Thailand to be (89, as opposed to a global mean of 103).

All of which means this article is just a puff piece, without merit, and useful only for wrapping your fried fish in.

Winnie

Instead of always taking the piss out of anything Thai people accomplish which seems to be the norm with you, why not just congratulate the students for a job well done.

It seems it's a legit competition as per there 2015 competition.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.poleungkuk.org.hk/en/joint-schools-districts-world-competition/primary-mathematics-world-contest.html&ved=0ahUKEwiVivSTiPzNAhVHNI8KHVgUBTYQFggZMAA&usg=AFQjCNEh8NK6VNLViXza2nDlrRus85RhrQ

Oh. Am I not entitled to comment within the rules as I see fit? Or do you suggest I should run them past you first?

Winnie

Winnie

Winnie

Thanks Winnie for your enlightened prose. I suppose it's true that when they taught you to speak and write in English they completely forgot to mention speaking the truth and not pouring scorn on the efforts of others when one has made no effort to determine the facts of the case.

Congratulations to these children for their efforts. Huge praise to the organisation that has been running this competition since 1997.

You and at least one other oaf said no one knows who else was competing. It took me no time to find the website that shows exactly who was there.

It's also very easy to discover the kind of questions these children faced. I would have posted some examples but you would have lied again and made a snide remark about how easy they are: they are not easy.

I would delete your stupid remarks if I were you and replace them with something much more appropriate.

Oh. Another one who thinks I should comment according to his view and not mine.

Any more of a similar opinion for me to ignore? Cheaper by the dozen you know.

And please don't call me an oaf or a liar - you don't even know me and it's against forum rules. Capice?

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Winnie

Winnie

Oh. Another one who thinks I should comment according to his view and not mine.

Any more of a similar opinion for me to ignore? Cheaper by the dozen you know.

And please don't call me an oaf or a liar - you don't even know me and it's against forum rules. Capice?

Winnie

Well, how interesting. You think what you said was an opinion? I was right in everything I said, then.

Good post Winnie. I can hope that there are some successes that are real ones.

Just yesterday I was in 7 nr air link ramkhamhaeng and bought water for 17.

I gave 100 then another 2. The change was 81. What followed was an interesting conversation involving a 2nd employee as well. When she produced a calculator all was made clear.

Good post Winnie. I can hope that there are some successes that are real ones.

Just yesterday I was in 7 nr air link ramkhamhaeng and bought water for 17.

I gave 100 then another 2. The change was 81. What followed was an interesting conversation involving a 2nd employee as well. When she produced a calculator all was made clear.

Yeah, that totally proves that no Thai students can do maths. Way to go genius, you get a gold star

Seems you failed to realize that this is the year 2016 and that link is for the competition that was held in 2015.