marriage extension with hotel as residence

I am recently married and just got my Non-O 90 day visa. I went today to Jomtien to get a handle on what I will need when I come to do my 1 year extension based on marriage in 2 months. I knew I would have a bit of trouble with my address verification, as I live in a hotel that I have negotiated a nice deal with for the last 7 years.

The first person I talked to advised me to move out of the hotel, as marriage extensions are for people who really live in Thailand. I tried to explain to her that I can prove I've been in the same hotel for 7 years, but she kept treating me like a tourist trying to pull a scam.

We spoke to her supervisor, but the supervisor only spoke Thai to my wife and refused to translate to English for me. She also seemed to question my legitimacy, but she said that I can get a 1 year rental contract from my hotel. She did not mention a copy of the owner's house book or Id card, but I kind of suspect she's saving that news for our next visit :).

Has anyone successfully received a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage while staying in a hotel? What documentation did you provide?

tia

It should not even require a one year rental agreement. A month to month agreement should be accepted. For a business such as a hotel the owners house book would not be required. Proof that the person signing it was authorized to sign it would be needed though along with their ID card..

I am not aware of anybody getting an extension based upon marriage while staying at a hotel but it should not be much different than renting an apartment which is common.

@tlock

you get more worried about :

-have you seasoned the 400 k in the thaibank

-if you have no kids out of your marriage , you must take a thai witness from pattaya along with housebook, thai id. a thai relative of your wife will be rejected. then you are to take a photo togeter with your wife, thai witness in front of your hotel.

wbr roobaa01

I hadn't thought about it but I up for a marriage extension next month and currently in a hotel as we recently sold a place. I would be interested to know if it's a problem.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on this, I tried today at jomtien with a real rental contract.  I was served by the original IO who refused to speak to me and would only speak to my wife in thai, and apparently told her that the tabien baan or chanote for this room number was required (not sure if the hotel would have a room-by-room tabien baan or chanote), and that the id card of the person named as the owner was needed.  This person is the owner of a chain of hotels, so the IO knew that was a pretty big requirement.  And then to top it off she told my wife that the id card needed to have the same address as this room, lol.  I tried to ask in English if the main hotel manager could act as proxy for the owner since it was such a big chain, but she told me to be quiet she was explaining everything to my wife.

I'll guess I'll give an agent a shot, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll try the elite.  

• 4 weeks later...

so the current state of things is I tried an agent, and they said that without the tabien baan and id card of the owner of the room, they couldn't do anything for me.  So I managed to track down a signed copy of the id card of the owner of the chain of hotels, and a copy of the room tabien baan, and I will try again tomorrow.  However, the IO specifically said the name on the tabien baan needed to match the name on the id card, but the tabien baan doesn't have a name on it.  I've run out of options, if I'm rejected tomorrow I'll do a visa run to Laos or Cambodia.  

The hotel owner was shocked, he said not a single other person in his chain has required this level of documentation, normally the certificate of residence suffices.  However I guess these are relatively new regulations.  Has anyone else gotten a marriage extension while living in a hotel recently?  They seem pretty steadfast in their opinion that I need to move out of the hotel in order to get a 1 year visa extension.  

On 9/21/2016 at 0:35 PM, Evilbaz said:

This is one time your Thai wife is not helping.

Ask her to go and sit down and insist the IO deal with you or get the Supervisor to do so.

YOU are the applicant.

The applicant, yes, but also "the foreigner" who is asking for permission to stay in Thailand.  If the OP will ever need future service from this office, how things are shifted into English (if necessary) should be carefully considered. 

It is important not confuse dealing with "govt workers" in Thailand with doing the same in some of our home-countries, where a more forceful approach might be effective.  Here it could backfire most severely.