Thanks Champs! Leicester City owner keeps his promise - almost!

rooster59

Thanks Champs! Leicester City owner keeps his promise - almost!

559000008056704.JPEG

Image: Manager

Leicester City owner Wichai Sriwatanaprapha has kept his promise to buy his English Premier League champion players a fancy car each.

Some 19 BMW i8 cars in the team's blue colors were pictured parked outside the team's ground in the English midlands.

Leicester City - sponsored by duty free giants King Power that is run by Wichai - overcame 5000-1 odds to sweep the world's most prestigious national football league competition in the 2015-16 season that concluded in May.

He promised to buy each of his victorious team a "B-Class Electric Drive Benz" but it is unlikely that the tem are complaining with the BMWs. They are reportedly worth 96,000 pounds each or around 4.5million baht.

The new EPL season kicks off next Saturday though several Leicester players have transferred to new clubs and whether their team can repeat the feat will be followed with great interest by football fans in Thailand and throughout the world.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-06

i think duty free is a rip off anyway. (as are most duty free shops) when you can get to your destination and buy the same cheaper, they always quote silly mark up figures those in transit think they are getting a bargain.. NOT

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

''The new EPL season kicks off next Saturday though several Leicester players have transferred to new clubs''

Do they get a car as well?

No. Four of the winning squad of 23 have left, and he bought 19 cars.

1 hour ago, tx22cb said:

Feel good story, nice to see a billionaire keep his promise to the team's loyal players.

Ruined by a jaded first commenter.  Such is ThaiVisa.

They paid for it by coming first in the league. He's just taken it out of the Premier league prize money.

51 minutes ago, Chicog said:

No. Four of the winning squad of 23 have left, and he bought 19 cars.

Hmm, but surely as members of the winning squad they are entitled to one...not that they care I guess.

Personally I understand why they don't get one, but...

38 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Hmm, but surely as members of the winning squad they are entitled to one...not that they care I guess.

Personally I understand why they don't get one, but...

I think but not 100% sure it depends on how many games each player played. I know you have to play 10 games to get a winners medal. So maybe only the players who got a winners medal got a car.

Edit its now 5 games, used to be 10.

Edited by berybert

7 hours ago, cockatoowho said:

Money to burn, might have to start putting more in the brown envelopes to keep on getting all those King Power contracts without going through any competitive bidding process.

Don't know how KP makes money,never see people in there and i certainly don't buy there.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Nice cars. Maybe I should start kicking a ball on my spare time. On another though, nah, too gay.

"On another though, nah, too gay."

It doesn't matter whether you are a little gay or too gay. Football is enjoyed for the skills of the players not their personal choices, which remain in the locker room. Perhaps you'd like rugby? Nothing like a good scrum.

6 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

"Hi Wichai, What business are you in?"
"Duty free shops"
"What are they called?"
"King Power"
"Right"
"So you've bought 19, blue BMW's for your team a week before Mother's day in Thailand?"
"Yes"
"Okay, Thankyou and I wish you all the best and success the future"

I don't get the punchline.

10 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Don't know how KP makes money,never see people in there and i certainly don't buy there.

you should look at the one downtown next to the Pullmann. Its flooded with Chinese. The Pullmann itself if 90% booked by Chinese and the rooms are 3000++

On 8/6/2016 at 0:14 PM, Bluespunk said:

''The new EPL season kicks off next Saturday though several Leicester players have transferred to new clubs''

Do they get a car as well?

It says 19 cars. Leicester used a very small amount of players last season compared to some of those supposedly top flight English clubs. I think 22 or 23. So maybe the few that have transferred out didn't get one. Nor did the several that have been bought but might get one next year!

6 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

is this a populist move?  and does this mean an Englishman can own a Thai football club?

Good question. Interesting that more than one English club is now owned by Thais. They also own many houses, businesses, property in UK. 

And I don't think they have to marry a British woman, create a nominee company that might be against the law, or are restricted to 49%. All without a treaty of Amity. 

Guess we're the dummies!

21 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

It says 19 cars. Leicester used a very small amount of players last season compared to some of those supposedly top flight English clubs. I think 22 or 23. So maybe the few that have transferred out didn't get one. Nor did the several that have been bought but might get one next year!

21 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, but if cars were promised to the squad that won the title it shouldn't matter whether they are still at the club or not if they helped win it. 

I can understand why they don't get one on a personal level as they have left, but if they were part of the team that helped win the title technically they should get one. 

Mind, I'm sure they can afford there own, but still...

Edited by Bluespunk
Double quote for unfathomable reasons but probably my fault

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Yes, but if cars were promised to the squad that won the title it shouldn't matter whether they are still at the club or not if they helped win it. 

I can understand why they don't get one on a personal level as they have left, but if they were part of the team that helped win the title technically they should get one. 

Mind, I'm sure they can afford there own, but still...

Depends what the rules were/are. I've worked for a number of organization in UK and elsewhere that had rules about bonus payments. If you ceased to be employed or were even working your notice by a certain future date you didn't qualify for the payment. 

But no doubt none of these guys are short of a bob or two.