Patong hit by double bomb blasts during Mother’s Day ceremonies

webfact

Patong hit by double bomb blasts during Mother’s Day ceremonies

Phuket Gazette

pkt33.jpeg         

The blast injured a passerby and damaged a police box on Bangla Road. Photo: Patong DDPM

PHUKET: Two bomb blasts in Patong this morning have left one man injured.

One of the blasts occurred at the Bangla Police Box at 8am. The other explosion was a short while later at Loma Park, where provincial officials were conducting Mother’s Day ceremonies, Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation officer Sampawat Wannasangkam told the Gazette.

The streets around the blast areas have been cordoned off and the injured man was taken to Patong Hospital, confirmed the official.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Patong-hit-double-bomb-blasts-during-Mothers/65387?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-12

Two bomb explosions in Patong, third found bomb found

Eakkapop Thongtub

1470972608_1-org.jpg

Bomb disposal team at Patong's Bangla Rd. Photo: James Webster

PHUKET: -- Two bombs exploded In Patong this morning (Aug 12), the first close to the police box on Bangla Rd the second at Loma Park. A third Bomb has also been found outside the Baan Thai Hotel.

Police and an EOD team are currently at the scene and the area is sealed off from the public.

It has been reported that one person was injured in the explosions which happened at 8:45am.

Chief of the Phuket Provincial Police Maj Gen Teerapol Thipjareu said, “If anyone sees anything suspicious please inform police immediately.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-bomb-explosions-in-patong-third-found-bomb-found-58660.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-08-12

I might have lived too long in Thailand, but for some reason I feel that these bombings are not so big deal. 

Life is back to normal in short time. 

1 minute ago, ironbark said:

More farang die from falling over balconies in Phuket than from bombs.

And most of them die in bus accidents on the way to Phuket ... but dont tell them that... let the numbers drop .. everything should be at more reasonable prices... hope the mafia taxi industry suffer loss of income... 

17 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Well she's obviously frightened by nothing - unless you intend spending a lot of time in Patong/Central mall etc. 

especially as i live in Isaan but she lives in Australia and 600km is for her like just round the corner. When the Eriwan shrine was blown up she E-mailed me thinking i was in danger,when i said the shrine is in Bangkok not Isaan she wrote ''But that is near you'' 

17 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I might have lived too long in Thailand, but for some reason I feel that these bombings are not so big deal. 

Life is back to normal in short time. 

Only for some tourists.

But meanwhile there's only the Thailand News thread saying that Phuket had a bomb.

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

This will not increase tourism numbers, Psimbo. :thumbsup:

My sister in the UK messaged me to make sure I was OK... She said talking with her workma=tes who have just cancelled their holiday in Thailand....   So yes, it is already having an effect on tourism.

32 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

My sister in the UK messaged me to make sure I was OK... She said talking with her workma=tes who have just cancelled their holiday in Thailand....   So yes, it is already having an effect on tourism.

That's the spirit. Makes you proud to be British!

8 minutes ago, ratio said:

Well the bombs are not good for tourism and get on the news.

How many die on days of the Sonkran festival and it like a normal year event

Exactly the same amount who fie in ANY week in the Thai calendar.. In fact I believe it was actually lower than the average week this year. Don't believe me?...  Its very easy to research.

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

How many injured in bomb blasts this year ?    How many tourists injured while here in mini buses and big buses ?   I wonder how many will cancel their holidays as in fear of bombs yet have no fear of travelling on buses .

Yes but most of the tourists don't get to hear about the bus crashes and other dangers of life in Thailand.  When it is on the main news bulletins then people take notice. 

However give it a few days and another attack in the west and everyone will have forgotten about all of this

It's correct to say that you have more chance of falling off a balcony or being knocked over by a car or be involved in a bus crash ... correct, but hardly the point. 

Any bombing in tourist areas will put off tourists from visiting Thailand and also make people who live here more wary of spending time (and money) in known tourist spots ... and that has a negative impact on the economy, particularly in those areas.