SSD Upgrade...........

chiangrai

I need to buy a new small laptop.

I already have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO.

I want to buy a Lenovo 100S.

Can anybody check to see if this SSD will fit in this laptop before I buy.

Also what kind of performance increase would you expect.

In theory, yes the ssd HD has the same mounting holes and sata interface, so it should fit in the space. At this point you have probably voided the warrenty on the new laptop. It depends on if you are cloneing the old hard drive to the new ssd hd. Or starting from scratch to build windows etc on the new HD. (you would need a windows install disk)

Performance increase will only be relative to HD usage, windows will load and do things quicker copy paste etc, anything external to the laptop, from the internet, network, usb, will be the same. Depends on your usage. 

A 100S does not have an area for a HDD/SSD like you are thinking; it uses an eMMC storage chip instead.   An eMMC is kinda like the memory that comes with a smartphone/tablet..   A 100S is not designed to be upgrade-able...what you get from the factory is pretty much it.

A 100S is a lower end notebook.   I think they only come with a 32GB eMMC storage which ain't much

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

A 100S does not have an area for a HDD/SSD like you are thinking; it uses an eMMC storage chip instead.   An eMMC is kinda like the memory that comes with a smartphone/tablet..   A 100S is not designed to be upgrade-able...what you get from the factory is pretty much it.

A 100S is a lower end notebook.   I think they only come with a 32GB eMMC storage which ain't much

Yes, you are correct. I was presuming a laptop with a standard 2.5 hard-drive. That lenovo already has solid state storage, not much point in replacing it anyway, even if it was possible.

1 hour ago, chiangrai said:

What about the Lenovo MIIX 310-101.

It has a 64gb EMMC. The SSD won't work but it should be a bit faster than the  one you mention in your OP.

Edited by Rob13

I'm on the INVADEIT website and I'm trying to find a cheap laptop 11.6 inch screen or smaller that will take my SSD.

I'm now looking at     HP Stream r023TU   and

Acer Aspire R3-131T..

If some one could tell me if either of those would tke my SSD I would be very grateful,

We're bound to find one soon because I'm choosing more expensive machines.

I really appreciate this help,My computer died on me and I want to order a new one as fast as possible

I will be getting a Thai guy to install the SSD and OS when it comes.

There are just 2 more models on Invadeit that I need checked before I decide.

One is cheaper and one is more expensive.

The Acer Aspire is 13000bht

there are the Asus E202SA for 9000bht

and the lenovo yoga 300 11IBR for 15000bht

If some one an check these for me I will be ready to decide.

49 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

there are the Asus E202SA for 9000bht

and the lenovo yoga 300 11IBR for 15000bht

Yes for the ASUS.  The SSD will fit in the Lenovo, but I can't find if it has a removable back or not. Some of the smaller machines have sealed case which make them pretty much impossible to work on.

Edited by Rob13

Ok Rob13,that narrows it down.

IF you search on youtube for Asus EeeBook e202SA SSD there is a video with some guys having problems with Samsung Evo 840 SSd.Should I be worried about this.

My SSD is 850 evo.

What would you expect the performance to be like  from this upgrade.

5 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

there is a video with some guys having problems with Samsung Evo 840 SSd.Should I be worried about this.

I'm not sure which vid your referring to. Give me a link and I'll watch it.

Edited by Rob13

Seems people are having problems of the computers not recognizing the new SSD. Most likely they just need to update the BIOS and drivers, but I'm not seeing where anybody talks about the problem being solved. I'd be wary til I found out for sure what's going on.

Maybe somebody else on the forum knows something.

56 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

So close but yet so far...

I just had the same SSD put in a lenovo flex 10 and it recognized fake windows 8.

If that's any indication.

No SSD problem there,, you might have to fork out for a new OS though. Too bad it didn't happen a couple weeks ago you could have upgraded to  a genuine Windows 10 version for free

Have you thought about just buying a laptop with a SSHD. Full warranty etc. As stated before a SSD will improve some performance dependent upon your usage. Browsing the internet, reading Thai visa forums, playing an online game, streaming a movie etc will all be the same as thats dependent on your internet speed. Copying a file to a thumbdrive will be the same, ie the speed of the thumbdrive.

If you have a Thai guy lined up to fit the SSd and install windows, he can probably source you a laptop as well.

Edited by Peterw42

but how much is a laptop with SSHD,  15,000bht.

I have the SSD and a copy of Windows and am paying 800BHT a month for fast internet.

If I shell out another 9,000bht for the  Acer E292SA  do you think I will I have a machine that boots up ,opens programs and transfers files fast and also is fairly snappy on my internet connection.

Should I be worried that he Bios won't recognize the SSD.

11 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

Should I be worried that he Bios won't recognize the SSD.

No, updating the BIOS and drivers  should be done even if you don't get an SSD.. The problem in the video is something with the ASUS, and is most likely a small problem.  I've upgraded all my laptops with the same SSD you have and never had a problem although the older ones did require an update. 

Edited by Rob13

Right Rob,

I'm going to order it tomorrow.

It's been a long day.

What kind of an experience would you think I will get after the upgrade.will it be good and snappy.

On INVADEIT the cheapest 11 inch with SSD is 35,000bht which is totally out of my range.

Thanks for your help mate,

2 hours ago, Rob13 said:

No SSD problem there,, you might have to fork out for a new OS though. Too bad it didn't happen a couple weeks ago you could have upgraded to  a genuine Windows 10 version for free

Free upgrade to Windows 10 still available.

The cheapest option for an 11.6" machine is the ACER ES1 131 here; http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/notebooks-laptops/acer/aspire-es1-131-p5yz-black-intel-pentium-n3700-4gb-ddr3-500gb-11-6inch-led-intel-hd-no-os-p027006/

Once you purchase it, take it along to the ACER service centre in Chonburi and get them to swap the drive for you. Do not give it to your independent technician.  The service centre will charge perhaps 430 baht or less for the work and likely you will still have a warranty. Get anyone else to do it and you can end up with no warranty and shoddy workmanship. Don't do it.

I'm not necessary recommending the machine. Just telling you what will work for you.  

56 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

What kind of an experience would you think I will get after the upgrade.will it be good and snappy.

The biggest difference I notice is booting up time only takes bout 30 seconds. i also notice it in slow loading websites, like TV. I think it's worth it. 

Don't ask them(ACER) to install your shonky OS, unless of course it is genuine. You can do it yourself in a few mins. you don't need the Thai Tech for anything. Just get the ACER service centre to swap the drives for you.

Have no idea as to why I suggested the Chonburi branch. Choose the one closest to you:

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/itw_location.htm