Lumpini Park monitor lizard ‘threat’ reduced

webfact

LUMPINI PARK

Monitor lizard ‘threat’ reduced

Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation 

30295810-06_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) started an operation yesterday to capture monitor lizards at downtown Lumpini Park.

The reptiles were sent to Khao Son Wildlife Nursery Station in Ratchaburi, a 1,000-rai (160-hectare) nature station with a fertile ecosystem. Suwanna Jungrungrueng, director-general of the BMA's Environment Department, led 12 officials in catching at least 40 monitor lizards yesterday.

An army of TV and print journalists, including from foreign agencies, as well as concerned onlookers observed the operation.

The city workers, each armed with a long stick with a noose at the end and catfish used as bait, managed to get about 40 monitor lizards by 2pm.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Monitor-lizard-threat-reduced-30295810.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-21

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I have yet to see anything a Thai will not eat so this is probably a silly question but are these thibgs edible?

I am surprised there are any left if they are.

Cannot eat. Against religion. Could be great Uncle.

I seen a nice size lizard at a restaurant at number 9 ring road on the west side of Bangkok, the

locals did not know the English word for it, just big animal. It was after some young puppies

so it was not popular with  the restaurant family.

You are right, abut it being shy, as I took a picture of the creature, it headed for the

river area and w never seen it again that day. Very neat to see. This is a house where I glimpsed

a lizard but it went out the gate before I got a picture, they ca move pretty fast for a big animal.

Geezer

phpTwWHPpPM[1].jpg

phpKZKFqkPM[1].jpg

On 9/21/2016 at 9:20 PM, ddotmark said:

Aren't monitor lizards dangerous? I thought they were considered very agressive and their bite deadly. 

Not the ones I've seen.  I've had monitors practically bigger than I am take off at quite the pace at the sight of people.

I've been wondering all along just who is so afraid of them as all of the papers keep saying?  I usually see people either ignore them, or watch/photograph them in fascination.