DPM: New corruption law helps block patron-client system

rooster59

DPM: New corruption law helps block patron-client system

Tanakorn Sangiam

PNPOL590923001001301.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 September 2016 (NNT) – The Deputy Prime Minister has revealed the government’s new law on corruption will help cut down the patron-client system, preventing the government from issuing policies that are beneficial to select groups. 

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam has said regarding the draft act on the misconduct from conflict of personal and public interests, that actions such as issuing policies for personal benefits will be considered as legal offenses. 

He assures that the new law will not complicate the government's procedures, as honest actions are not problematic. Though the new law may exclude small actions, determining which acts fall into the patron-client category will be the task of the new government. 

The DPM has added the new law will help deter the existing patron system in Thailand, but will unlikely be sufficient to eliminate the entire system.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-24

5 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

So patron - family situations will be stopped, ?

Well maybe, sort of, oh just forget it.

I think this answers your question...

"the new law may exclude small actions, determining which acts fall into the patron-client category will be the task of the new government"

There's always wriggle room!

Another raft of legislation, and another, no doubt, huge budget allocated for the competent, relevant authorities and their fully professional internal forensic audit and legal staff to implement and enforce the new laws, without bias and across the board.

Given the huge institutionalised corruption at both local and central government level, I expect to see the media awash with news of names - both big and small - and related court cases only a few weeks and months after the law goes live. 

Apart from, that is, those corrupt individuals who 'may' conveniently fall under the 'will unlikely be sufficient to eliminate the entire system' part of the minister's statement...

8 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

So patron - family situations will be stopped, ?

Well maybe, sort of, oh just forget it.

Of course an enterprising young person who sets up a small company and immediately secures government contracts due to exceptional bidding and innovation won't be included. Nothing to see there!

Seriously, I know someone from a very well connected family who set up a number of educational related businesses. Very quickly public contracts were awarded. No previous experience needed apparently. 

8 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

I think this answers your question...

"the new law may exclude small actions, determining which acts fall into the patron-client category will be the task of the new government"

There's always wriggle room!

Legislation is often complex, with wiggle room, to allow someone or some group to decide who does and who doesn't get prosecuted. 

All about the "good people and the bad people" - Thainess.

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Legislation is often complex, with wiggle room, to allow someone or some group to decide who does and who doesn't get prosecuted. 

All about the "good people and the bad people" - Thainess.

Whenever I hear the term "good people and the bad people" I recall this cartoon, published in the Siam Review in 1926, which lampoons the attitudes of elite Thais.

14310300_10154291701316154_2004707554519610606_o.jpg

The caption is: “Our custom of crawling.”

The cartoon shows a foreigner and a wealthy Thai seated at a table with female servants grovelling at their feet alongside several dogs.

The foreigner asks: “Aren’t they Thai too?”

“Yes,” replies his host, “but they have less money than me.”

Thainess.

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Whenever I hear the term "good people and the bad people" I recall this cartoon, published in the Siam Review in 1926, which lampoons the attitudes of elite Thais.

The cartoon shows a foreigner and a wealthy Thai seated at a table with female servants grovelling at their feet alongside several dogs.

Thainess.

At least that foreigner, in 1926, is asking the question. 

I feel that many today do not ask and are, apparently, more than happy to dine at the table and share their hosts "meal".

In truth how many of us would live quite so comfortably if if such a status quo did not prevail?

It must be great to be a 10 day tourist and know nothing.  I can just about remember the feeling.

Edited by Enoon

Thainess.

Still very much prevalent today, possibly the most irksome of the negatives.

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I feel that many today do not ask and are, apparently, more than happy to dine at the table and share their hosts "meal".

In truth how many of us would live quite so comfortably if if such a status quo did not prevail?

It must be great to be a 10 day tourist and know nothing.  I can just about remember the feeling.

There is absolutely zero about this cultural anachronism that makes my time in Thailand comfortable - indeed, quite the opposite.

As HoboKay says:

5 minutes ago, HoboKay said:

possibly the most irksome of the negatives.

15 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Any decent quality of life should not require or demand servitude nor attempt to subjugate in the pursuit of preserving the status quo.

Thainess.

Two of England's greatest cartoonists / satirists  & artists, William Hogarth and James Gilray, both from over 200 years ago, would have produced  cartoons far more acerbic than this one.

It is a pity that Thai law pretty much outlaws such art that satirizes the out of touch hi-so upper classes here . Stephff  (The Nation) is as close as it gets to such art in this country. The whole Thai class system is ripe for such talent.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=gillray+cartoons&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQjqeP1KfPAhUHLo8KHZosA_UQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=william+hogarth&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu-fSp1afPAhVEPo8KHW5gB_cQ_AUICCgB#tbm=isch&q=william+hogarth+cartoons

There is absolutely zero about this cultural anachronism that makes my time in Thailand comfortable - indeed, quite the opposite.

As HoboKay says:

Although you and I may very well feel "emotionally" uncomfortable about the situation there is, in my mind, no doubt that the "material" well being that I am able to enjoy in Thailand derives from a social/economic order that makes me, in Thailand terms, a privileged person. 

It also appears to obtain for me a level of deference that I would not expect, or seek, "back home".

Thus I am able to enjoy a considerably more enhanced lifestyle than most of the Thai people with whom I come in contact.

That sense of material comfort and privilege is quite definitely tempered by the knowledge of how it is obtained.

I apologize if you took my reply as a criticism of your post or your attitude.   I am familiar with your posts which, as far as I can recall, express sentiments with which I usually agree.

Edited by Enoon

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Two of England's greatest cartoonists / satirists  & artists, William Hogarth and James Gilray, both from over 200 years ago, would have produced  cartoons far more acerbic than this one.

It is a pity that Thai law pretty much outlaws such art that satirizes the out of touch hi-so upper classes here . Stephff  (The Nation) is as close as it gets to such art in this country. The whole Thai class system is ripe for such talent.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=gillray+cartoons&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQjqeP1KfPAhUHLo8KHZosA_UQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=william+hogarth&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu-fSp1afPAhVEPo8KHW5gB_cQ_AUICCgB#tbm=isch&q=william+hogarth+cartoons

The England of 200 years ago was post-Reformation/Dissolution of the Monasteries, The English and Scottish Civil Wars, The Glorious Revolution, The Establishment of Parliamentary Sovereignty.

And that's just England.

No surprise that the Thai people are kept ignorant of, and even encouraged to be contemptuous of, the "World".

Edited by Enoon