Lost the air con remote

ghworker2010

Amorn Electronic stores carry a wide variety for a couple hundred baht each.   I also see them at Thai outdoor markets.   But you are going to need to have a good idea of the specific A/C model (get the part/model number off the A/C ) because there are a lot of different variety of models by each manufacturer.  And just because say for example all your A/Cs were Mitsubishi models does not mean just any Mitsubishi remote will work.  Heck, I have 7 York A/Cs in my house...all installed new and within months of other and varying in BTU size from around 6K BTU to 20K BTU; however there are two different model remotes used with the 7 A/Cs.   And the type of remote that works on some of my York A/Cs does not work at all on my other York A/Cs.   In my cases, I've needed to get two remotes replaced over 8 years....I ordered them both off Ebay out of China for about Bt200...they worked fined. 

Edited by Pib

Smaller markets sometimes do have a stand where all different brand/types of remotes are sold for very very reasonable prices. Talking about Bangkok here. Ask a local, that is how I found out and got my brandnew Daikin remote for 240 Baht.

Bring the old or a working one to make sure. The guy I bought it from takes his merchandise from market to market and has fixed days for certain places. I found him (guided by a local) in a covered market a bit back off the north side of Silom road somewhere behind kasikorn bank ( in that area). 

Edited by Carib
Spelling

I made the same observation as in previous post at a weekly market in our upcountry district town.

Hundreds of remotes at such market stands.

But of course you have to find such a market/stand :smile:

Where do you live?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Pib has very good advice in his post, particularly re writing down the exact model number of each a/c unit. Universal remotes are a good possibility. A new approach is the phone control but you need to have IR on your phone. Several good apps for turning such phones into universal remotes. If you do not have IR on phone can get plugin attachment for the microUSB slot on the phone. These universal devices will take a bit of trial-and-error and may not control every feature of the unit, but most things will work.

19 hours ago, Carib said:

Smaller markets sometimes do have a stand where all different brand/types of remotes are sold for very very reasonable prices. Talking about Bangkok here. Ask a local, that is how I found out and got my brandnew Daikin remote for 240 Baht.

Bring the old or a working one to make sure. The guy I bought it from takes his merchandise from market to market and has fixed days for certain places. I found him (guided by a local) in a covered market a bit back off the north side of Silom road somewhere behind kasikorn bank ( in that area). 

If he lost the remote, how can he bring it with him?

15 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Use your cell phone.  Am I the only guy on Thai Visa with a smart phone?

How about recommending an app. See lots available but none have good reviews. Advertising seems to be the major complaint.

P.S. Android phone

Depending on your A/C model, there may be a swirch on the front of thr A/C that will turn it on and off.

Can't adjust the temperature. however, but on my Daikin A/C there is a  small compartment with a flap to open that allows you to turn it off and on by pushing the reset button inside.

On 9/28/2016 at 7:46 PM, Pib said:

All smartphones don't have IR capability.

That's true.  I understand that all iPhones have an IR blaster and some Samsungs.  Newish smartphones that lack the IR blaster may have a USB-OTG port.   If so, they can use this IR attachment along with the free Zazaremote app which has setups for thousands of AC models.  Costs $5.99.  Works great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/8037044787.html?orderId=77865705967876

Edited by CaptHaddock
addition