Is Melatonin Legal To Buy In Thailand

Cinders

Guys,

Just wondering if I can buy Melatonin in Thailand OTC for jetlag?... I used this stuff when I flew back from the USA last year, it really helped... I've got some spare in the original bottle, I'm just wondering if it's safe to bring it over, or if I can just buy it when I get there...

Also wondering about Milk Thistle (for your liver), can you buy that OTC (it's a herbal subliment), it's cheap as chips here in the UK?... Just wondering if it's worth me bringing some with me, or again just buying it when I get there...

Thanks,

Cinders.

hi Cinders,

saw Melantonin some days ago in a pharmacy where you can buy it freely. So I wouldn't worry to bring it over and you can get supply here. about the milk thistle I'm not sure, what is it good for anyway?

Excellent stuff guys!

I'll just buy some melatonin when I get to Bangkok to help me with the Jet Lag - it's always worse going West to East, darn it!..... Melatonin really helps as it tells your body when it's bed time, so you can help fool it a little as your body clock will be messed up.

As for Milk Thistle, it's a herbal plant extract that helps liver regeneration, ie. it's very good for your liver - it's scientifically proven as well.... I take it each day.

I buy a special brand of Milk Thistle which has a high volume of the active ingredient within it. I'm getting a new bottle tomorrow lunchtime, so I will give you more details then on the strength etc...

I take 3 Milk Thistle tablets per day, after each meal.

Squeezed Lemon juice from fresh lemons is also very good for cleansing the liver...

Cinders.

Hi Thaimee (and anyone else interested...)

The Milk Thistle I use is £20 (1420 THB) for 100 capsules (ouch!) - It comes in 175mg tablets and is high quality stuff - it's made from Milk Thistle (Silybum Marianum Seed) and is guarenteed to contain no less than 140mg of Silymarin (active ingredient) - This is high grade stuff and you should not exceed the dosage of max 3 a day... It's the best quality stuff on the market as far as I know, however I maybe wrong....

Hope this helps!

Cinders.

Hi Cinders (non-other drugies...)

The Pattaya pharmacy sells Silymarin in 140mg strength tabs in blister strips of 10 capsules at 80 baht. In the pharmacy they can sell you the whole box 20 strips which is 200 tabs total for 1600/ 1800 Baht.

Thanx for info. Thaimee.

Hi Thaimee....

Sorry I lied, I've just been to pick up my Milk Thistle tablets today and you get 100 250mg capsules - which contain 80% Silymarin - the active ingredient.

What you really want to be checking out is the amount of Silymarin in each tablet.... these ones constain 200mg and it states 3 times a day, with each meal

Yes you can overdose on Milk Thistle! You can overdose on just about anything if you take too much....

Here's a good link to a site about Milk Thistle:

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/milk_thistle.html

As for pure lemon juice - it's a well known fact it helps cleanse your liver - just do a search on liver cleansing using lemon juice or something like that on www.google.com

Cinders.

• 1 month later...
Guys,

Just wondering if I can buy Melatonin in Thailand OTC for jetlag?... I used this stuff when I flew back from the USA last year, it really helped... I've got some spare in the original bottle, I'm just wondering if it's safe to bring it over, or if I can just buy it when I get there...

It's available, but it isn't very easy to find. In Bangkok you can get it from the small pharmacy inside TOPS supermarket at Central Chidlom. 3mg capsules, 900 baht a bottle. Anywhere else, I'd suggest you look for a pharmacy that has a lot of foreign customers.

• 3 years later...

It is extremely hard to find melatonin here. The only brand I ever found seemed to be counterfeit, don't know if that is what is also at the TOPs in Chidlom? Price and strengthe sound the same...Have you taken the TOPs/Chidlom preparation, Camerata? If it it's the fake stuff I'm think of (brand name Schiff or soemthing like that, white bottle with red and white label) you'd notice a complete absence of effect.

If you are coming from the US I really recommend you bring a supply with you. Personally I stock up each time I go to Phnom Penh. You won't have any problem about bringing it into the coyuntry as loinmg as it is in its original labelled bottle (and the quantities aren't so large that it looks like you're planning to go into business!).

While like a lot of things it has been over-hyped, there's no doubt that it is very effective for jet lag. Also very good for the early-morning/middle of the night wakefulness that affects many people as they get older.

It is extremely hard to find melatonin here. The only brand I ever found seemed to be counterfeit, don't know if that is what is also at the TOPs in Chidlom? Price and strengthe sound the same...Have you taken the TOPs/Chidlom preparation, Camerata? If it it's the fake stuff I'm think of (brand name Schiff or soemthing like that, white bottle with red and white label) you'd notice a complete absence of effect.

Let me check which brand I took when I get home tonight. I had one bottle from TOPS and one that someone brought me from the US. I remember taking it and not getting much effect. I'm sure I still have the half-empty bottle.

I'm sure Melatonin can be ordered over the Internet without any problems. I've been ordering Glucosamine Sulphate and another supplement for years.

Guys,

Also wondering about Milk Thistle (for your liver), can you buy that OTC (it's a herbal subliment), it's cheap as chips here in the UK?... Just wondering if it's worth me bringing some with me, or again just buying it when I get there...

Others have responded, but I'll add a quick reply.

Yes, you can find melatonin in LOS but studies also indicate it only is effective when your pituatary gland does not excrete enough.

Milk Thistle: there are low cost brands in Thailand. Some are made from Korea. I take Milk Thistle. It's a good idea. I can't hurt us.

It seems that what I took was the red and white Schiff 1mg tabs that a friend gave me. What they have at Central Chidlom pharmacy (I checked today) is made by Health Connection Labs in the USA, 60 3mg tabs for 850 baht. I never tried these.

Melatonin is a hormone and unless things changed recently in Thailand all hormones are classified as specially controlled drugs, ie they are available only on prescription, unlike in the USA and perhaps some other countries where Melatonin is available as a food supplement.

It appears that so far no company has registered Melatonin as a medicine in Thailand. This means that any pharmacy selling it does so illegally, but it is not illegal for you to buy and use it.

Ordering Melatonin from abroad, eg the USA, for personal use should be no problem but I suggest you have it sent by regular letter post, not courier service, to minimise the possibility of customs inspection.

--

Maestro

Does anyone know where the best pharmacy is in Pattaya, where Silymarin can be bought? And what the address is if there is a place.

Thanks!

You can get Silymarin at Farmacia Pharmacy on Pattaya Nua across the street from Tesco Lotus . They carry 2 types . The higher dose is a better deal!

As for Milk Thistle, it's a herbal plant extract that helps liver regeneration, ie. it's very good for your liver - it's scientifically proven as well....
and
Here's a good link to a site about Milk Thistle:

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/milk_thistle.html

Here are a few sites that may be even better, as they give much more detailed information, including an overview of the various studies, including how well-structured they were, whether they scientifically proved anything meaningful, etc.:

Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality

NCAM at NIH

Mayo Clinic

In a nutshell, the jury seems to still be out on milk thistle. The potential is there, but it's apparently far from proven. The information suggests only that (1) milk thistle is possibly useful in treating certain liver diseases but that studies have been poorly structured and have not conclusively found a benefit, and (2) is generally safe to consume, although it can cause certain medication interactions, and some people are allergic. There appears to be no indication that milk thistle is useful for prevention or health maintenance in people with healthy livers, but I admittedly may have overlooked such a reference.

As for pure lemon juice - it's a well known fact it helps cleanse your liver - just do a search on liver cleansing using lemon juice or something like that on www.google.com

I don't think this is entirely accurate. First, I think in calling this claim "well-known" or a "fact" you need to provide some concrete substantiation (although clearly, drinking fresh lemon juice seems to be risk-free for most people). Second, and probably more importantly, it is my understanding that the liver cannot be "cleansed" per se, and, in fact, requires no such thing. A google search produces a plethora of sites that appear to be far from medically reliable.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. First, I think in calling this claim "well-known" or a "fact" you need to provide some concrete substantiation (although clearly, drinking fresh lemon juice seems to be risk-free for most people). Second, and probably more importantly, it is my understanding that the liver cannot be "cleansed" per se, and, in fact, requires no such thing. A google search produces a plethora of sites that appear to be far from medically reliable.

Thanks for catching this, Roux, and you are totally right. There is no reason to think that pure lemon juice would "cleanse" the liver. It is, however, full of Vitamin C and harmless AFAIK except in the rare case where there is an inflammation of the mucosal lining of mouth, throat and/or esophagus in which case it woul irritate same.

"Cleansing the liver" is also a rather vague and unscientific term and it's a bit questionable what that actually means let alone whether or not anyone is in need of it. The liver cleanses itself and the rest of the body via the blood through its ability to transform toxic compounds into harmless ones that the body can then excrete. Livers can be damaged and they can be overtaxed but it is hard to envison a scenario in which they would need to be "cleansed" nor what doing that would actually involve.

The best things anyone can do for their liver are to:

- get adequate nutrients on a regular basis

- not drink or drink in great moderation (the poor liver has to detoxify any alcohol you ingest)

-minimize intake of medications (including herbs and naturopathic remedies) that are metabolized in the liver (80-90% of them are) to the extent possible (i.e. use only when really necessaruy for your health).

- minimize exposure to other chemical substances that must be metabolized in the liver (e.g. pesticides, food additives etc) agin to the extent feasible, circumstances of modern living constrain this of course, but one can try to at least reduce these exposures.

-be immunized against Hepatitis A and B and/or avoid exposure (condoms, care about food and water etc)

- try not to be in an accident (a real issue in LOS) as this in turn might require otherwise avoidable blood transfusions....

I would definitely recommend milk thistle and B vitamins and maybe zinc supplements for those who are partying or enjoying themselves in Pattaya.

I know that there are those that say there is no medical evidence to support the benefits of vitamins and supplements but I have used vitamin and mineral supplementation for many years and have noticed clear beneficial results.

The worst that can happen with vitamin and mineral supplementation in most cases is that you waste your money.

On the other hand the number of people that die each year from prescribed pharmaceuticals is mind boggling. And remember these pharmaceuticals are the ones that have been "medically proven" to be safe and effective.

Actually there is plenty of evidence on the advisability of B vitamin supplementation in people with excess alcohol consumption.

Of course, better advice still would be to not over-indulge in ETOH, but for sure if someone is doing so they are well advised to take a potent supplement as well as be sure to eat well overall.

There is not a single pharmaceutical in the world "proven" to have no side effects or dangers. They all do. Proven effective is one thing, but (comemrcial ads for OTC drugs not withstanding) there is no such things as "proven safe", there is only data on overakll magnitude of risk and, if you are lucky, some indication of which specific individuals might be more at risk of adverse effects than others. Which is why in the use of any drug, potential risks and benefits need to be weighted. This also includes herbal treatments.

Solid information on the benefits and risks of herbal or other alternative remedies is usually less available than for "conventional" medicinal agents, not that we necessarily have adequate info on the latter either; we often don't, especially with regard to (1) newer drugs (fewer years of post-marketing surveillance invariably means that the some of the less frequent adverse effects -- some of which may be quite dangerous -- have not yet been picked up) and (2) drug interactions, a very complex and poorly understood area that is only just beginning tio get the attention it deserves.

Note that significant drug interactions are nmot limited to "conventional" medicine; herbal remedies can have significant adverse interactions both to each other and to "modern" drugs. Indeed, the opccurrence of adverse effects or decreased effecetiveness because of people takuing alternative remedies along with allopathic ones is one of the things that has finally caused some attention and research on things like milk thistle. Like it or not, modern medicine has come to realize that many of the people being prescribed drugs are going to also be taking various herbs, supplements etc and that lack of knowledge of the pharmacology of the latter will complicate their care.

Regarding milk thistle, Roux has accurately summarized what is known to date and there are additional studies underway on its possible effcets in a variety of conditions. This doesn ot mean, however, that it is totaly harmless. Although marketed in some counttries as a "nutritional supplement" (as are many other popular alternative/complemebntary drugs), it is not a vitamin or mineral and dcannot be assumed to have the same margin of safety that those have. In other words, "the worst that can happen is a waste of money" is not the case. Adverse physical reactions, allergic reactions and interefrence with the action of other drugs are all possible. That doesn't make milk thistle "bad", it just reflects the fact that it consists of pharmacologically active chemicals. If it didn't, it would be inert and have np effect in the body at all.

I'm also not advising anyone to not take it....only to be aware, if they take it (or any other alternative/complementary medicines) that they are ingesting chemicals which may, in some people, produce adverse effects, and that they need to read up on it and consider the potential risks and benefits just as they should for any drug.

To dismiss all the various "alternative/complementary" remedies on the market as useless because they have not been scientifically proven to work is IMO a mistake, because there is a huge difference between "not proven" and "disproven" . However it is equally mistaken (and potentially a lot more dangerous) to assume that because they have not been scientifically tested and proven effective -- or because they are sold under the rubric of "nutritional supplement" -- they must be totally harmless.

There is an urgent need for more research on these type of remedies, both because of the anecdotal benefits being reported and because they are being ingested by large numbers of people. Research costs money, and basically that comes from one of 2 sources: a company which anticipates a potential profit in the outcome, or a government or philanthropic foundation whch considers the results to have sufficient potential for massive public health impact .

Consumers of alternative/compklementary drugs are doing themselves a disservice in the long run by not being more demanding in terms of scientific proof, because as long as the companies who make these remedies have no need to conduct quality research in order to make sales, they won't. This is a billion-dollar business and they could and would spring for more and better research if they had to. But with government not requiring it and consumers not demanding it, there's no incentive to pay for it.

Agree with Sheryl about melatonin being very hard to find here. I tried so many places here in Pattaya and did finally find one but the product was old and expensive. If you go to costco.com in the states you can get the Schiff brand and it is one of the best and cheap.

• 10 years later...
On 6/15/2008 at 6:16 PM, ericg1953 said:

gree with Sheryl about melatonin being very hard to find here.

First attempt at a Boots pharmacy on Soi Buakhao.

"Have".

Just a little drawback: only 2 mg, original Made in Switzerland, won't tell the price :biggrin:

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

What about the Melatonin that iHerb sells? They have quite a few brands and strengths, starting from around $5 for 120 5mg tablets.

I got some from iHerb, 'Natrol', 3mg tabs...can't remember what it cost but it was cheap...much much cheaper than OTC melatonin in Thailand which is ridiculously expensive as it's imported...

Edited by tutsiwarrior