Sadao Border Run for Visa Exempt into Visa extension

I will be going into Malaysia for a same day border run and then immediately coming back into Thailand through VISA exempt. My Non O has run out and I will be getting it changed to Non B but I need to wait 2 months before I can apply for Non B with my company. Would it be okay to do a border run for VISA exemption and then get a VISA extension in Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai later on? Is it pretty straightforward as long as I pay and do not overstay?

Thank you.

Sadao is not the best crossing since they may tell you that you need to stay overnight. Pedang Besar would be better.

Why are you  doing the crossing to Malaysia. If you are in the North you could do it at the Chiang Khong crossing to Laos.

• Like 1

Thank you Joe! I will go to Pedang besar instead. I'm doing the run down here because a friend is here and invited me to hat yai for a month.

Joe, once I get a visa exempt for 30 days in pedang besar, can i get a visa extension later on in Chiang rai? Are visa extensions pretty straightforward?

I have an OA retirement extension of stay and a valid re-entry permit and went through Padang Besar last month. At first they told me I cannot reener Thailand on the same day I went to Malaysia (I had actually been in Malaysia 1 week). Then they said my re-entry permit was not longer valid. Keep me waiting an hour well after the 10pm closure and in the end stamped my passport with one moth rather than the period of validity of my OA extension. They would not accept any discussion on the matter.

I had to go to Hat Yai immigration to get the problem retified. They were very kind.

The time before the officer processed my entery into Thailand. As I was walking to the car came out snatched my passport, cancelled my stamp and told me to que at another counter.

What is happening at Padang Besar defies logic.

3 hours ago, murrayhunterr58 said:

I have an OA retirement extension of stay and a valid re-entry permit and went through Padang Besar last month. At first they told me I cannot reener Thailand on the same day I went to Malaysia (I had actually been in Malaysia 1 week). Then they said my re-entry permit was not longer valid. Keep me waiting an hour well after the 10pm closure and in the end stamped my passport with one moth rather than the period of validity of my OA extension. They would not accept any discussion on the matter.

I had to go to Hat Yai immigration to get the problem retified. They were very kind.

The time before the officer processed my entery into Thailand. As I was walking to the car came out snatched my passport, cancelled my stamp and told me to que at another counter.

What is happening at Padang Besar defies logic.

Strange and disturbing information. Are you quite sure this was at Padang Besar and not Sadao? Were you traveling by train or private car?