What Are 5 Things You Wish You Knew Before You Came to Thailand?

Andrew C

#1 There are three seasons HOT, HOTTER, AND HOTEST.

#2 Golf costs more in Thailand than America.

#3 Thais cannot build and maintain a golf green or sand bunker properly.

#4 Most expats come here to retire, because they can't afford to retire at home.

#5 The food is laced with MSG and sugar.

#6 Good pizza is non existent.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Toscano said:

1 .  That a visa in respect of marriage would become a load of documentation trouble .

2 .  Better to have a retirement Visa , though more expensive .

3 .  Don't get married , or if you must , have a Thai family style wedding , you can leave without problems .

4.  Respectable Thai women are not accustomed to making love western style , kissing , cuddling , caressing intimately .

Thais seem accustomed to copulate quickly and dash to the bathroom .

5.  Better not to Buy a house , rent or lease , unless a condo in your own name .  I chose a woman with her own house and adult children .

If I had come to Thailand without a girlfriend , I would have gone to live by the sea somewhere like Krabi or Trang .

lots of words of wisdom here. although i have not made the marriage mistake  i have made plenty of others. lots of great advice on this thread.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

38 minutes ago, Grubster said:

#1 There are three seasons HOT, HOTTER, AND HOTEST.

#2 Golf costs more in Thailand than America.

#3 Thais cannot build and maintain a golf green or sand bunker properly.

#4 Most expats come here to retire, because they can't afford to retire at home.

#5 The food is laced with MSG and sugar.

#6 Good pizza is non existent.

Not it sure where you are in Thailand , but I know two Excellent Pizzerias 

one in Phuket and the other in Bangkok....

both excellent, and I am fussy as anything with Pizza as I used to live in Italy...

so so I do know the real deal....

2 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

both excellent, and I am fussy as anything with Pizza as I used to live in Italy...

I am in the NE, The Pizza Company now has a very thin crust pizza that is OK, but I'm from Chicago where they have all the different types of pizza and the competition is strong. Great pizzas there. I would love to try some in Italy.

2 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Can you tell me where the one is in Bangkok, I don't care if you don't remember the name as I would forget that too.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I am in the NE, The Pizza Company now has a very thin crust pizza that is OK, but I'm from Chicago where they have all the different types of pizza and the competition is strong. Great pizzas there. I would love to try some in Italy.

For me it's all about the base......

The Pizza Company, been once , and never again...

fortunately 5 mins from my Condo is the best Pizza in Phuket...., amazing, just like being in "San Remo"....

all the best, fellow Pizza Fan....

Just now, robertthebruce said:

For me it's all about the base......

The Pizza Company, been once , and never again...

fortunately 5 mins from my Condo is the best Pizza in Phuket...., amazing, just like being in "San Remo"....

all the best, fellow Pizza Fan....

Yes the Pizza Company was horrible but now the thin crust one is "OK", I wouldn't even eat it back home though.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Can you tell me where the one is in Bangkok, I don't care if you don't remember the name as I would forget that too.

Its called "Grandads" and it's in an area called "Ramintra".........

well worth a visit, you won't be disappointed.

there Garlic Bread is excellent as well.......

honestly it's like being in Italy.....of course the owner is Italian.....

3 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Its called "Grandads" and it's in an area called "Ramintra".........

well worth a visit, you won't be disappointed.

there Garlic Bread is excellent as well.......

honestly it's like being in Italy.....of course the owner is Italian.....

Thanks I look forward to that. 

On 07/10/2016 at 5:58 AM, Fabricus said:

1. The scummiest, most dishonest people seem to be Brits.

2. There's no real need for a Thai wife / GF. The happiest expats seem to be single. 

3. Avoid travelling by vans at all cost.

4. Don't waste your money at fancy restaurants. You can usually find better food at small, street-side joints.

5. Spend more time in Malaysia -- it's better country.

PS. Re point #1. I ought to point out I'm English.

Hello Fabricus,

Let me say something on number 1.   I was a guest house owner from my experience it did appear to me to be true but take note I say it did appear, because I cannot just say it is true without taking any real survey on the matter.

On number 2. This is very very true. It is not easy to deal with money problems, extra-marital affairs, last but not least language problems (One day i hope to write a book called, "The Tyranny of Language in your Married life with a Thai wife.) Remain single is the trick. Love and sex are 2 different things.

No 3. Vans in Thailand are metal coffins that moves. Because of the design of the vans they are more vulnerable in accidents. Thais are not aware of the problems . I have looked at these problems for quite sometime. When road conditions are wet or muddy and the van going above 90 kph(kilometer per hour) on 4th or 5th gear and you step on the brake it will get out of control hit a lamp post or a concrete road divider and broke into two or roll down the slopes of a hill. The Thais want to make more money, they don't hesitate to pack the van full with other stuffs. Overload !!  People don't think overload causes accidents. For the van the brake became less effective due to the momentum of the heavy load when you apply emergency braking.

No 4 is true and No 5 is true depends on your character and personality.

17 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Talking to oneself is not considered normal. Nore may I add I'd goading or bullying or constantly ramming your misguided ideas on others.

Hey guy calm down please. A lighthearted discussion need not disintegrate into spiteful abuse.

being a senior member I would have thought you would know that.

3 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Hey guy calm down please. A lighthearted discussion need not disintegrate into spiteful abuse.

Deepinthailand is starting to sound like Bluespunk.

10 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Never coughed bluespunk (yet!)

Bluespunk is a poster with some strange views & some mental problems.

He/she(?) had a lot to say on the recent topic of the Police raid at Nana.

The visa date begins the day before you arrive

I am not as ugly as I thought I was.

You have to pay for a night out at a restaurant with the entire family or friends

The expensive restaurants expect a tip but the cheaper and more aroy muk streets stalls do not.

Get used to dogs barking and cocks crowing if you want a good nights sleep.

1 hour ago, The Dark Lord said:

Where is the abuse!!!!  It is exactly what I think I am allowed to have opinions of others  based on there post. As others are all to quick to have opinions of me isn't that right Dark lord !!!! But if someone expressed an opinion on myself unlike other I don't hunt in packs. It's called a forum.

9 hours ago, madusa said:

No 3. Vans in Thailand are metal coffins that moves. Because of the design of the vans they are more vulnerable in accidents. Thais are not aware of the problems . I have looked at these problems for quite sometime. When road conditions are wet or muddy and the van going above 90 kph(kilometer per hour) on 4th or 5th gear and you step on the brake it will get out of control hit a lamp post or a concrete road divider and broke into two or roll down the slopes of a hill. The Thais want to make more money, they don't hesitate to pack the van full with other stuffs. Overload !!  People don't think overload causes accidents. For the van the brake became less effective due to the momentum of the heavy load when you apply emergency braking.

All good.

Do you remember that horrific incident on the Don Muang expressway back in 2011?

A young girl was speeding and hit a van near Kasetsart University.

The van spun out of control and literally split in half: its occupants were thrown everywhere; many ended up on the streets below.

I can't remember the death toll, but it was appalling.    

Edited by Fabricus

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Where is the abuse!!!!  It is exactly what I think I am allowed to have opinions of others  based on there post. As others are all to quick to have opinions of me isn't that right Dark lord !!!! But if someone expressed an opinion on myself unlike other I don't hunt in packs. It's called a forum.

Quit crying

17 hours ago, elgenon said:

Or the T-shirt that says "Same Same   But Different"

I love those shirts.  Really.  I wear them all over the world.  It's a great way to help start a conversation and meet new friends...

5 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

he disagreed with what i wished i knew before i moved to thailand. i wonder what he thought i should have wished i knew before i moved to thailand. really enjoying filling my time in on thai visa but some guys need to just do the reading half if they have nothing to contribute.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:
30 minutes ago, Strange said:

Quit crying

starting to wonder what this guys mental age is.

Its a crazy demographic on here for sure. So many man-children. 

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

You may not consider what you put in print as abuse but ask yourself if you would say what you wrote if face to face. If not then .....................well you are not daft.

Oh and yes I know many posters post nonsense however  why associate yourself with the LCD when you don't need to? Many of your other posts are either amusing, witty and or objective......................

i am am not a moderator nor do I aspire to be one so let's leave it at that.

8 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

You may not consider what you put in print as abuse but ask yourself if you would say what you wrote if face to face. If not then .....................well you are not daft.

Oh and yes I know many posters post nonsense however  why associate yourself with the LCD when you don't need to? Many of your other posts are either amusing, witty and or objective......................

i am am not a moderator nor do I aspire to be one so let's leave it at that.

I would have absolutely no problem in saying what I expressed face to face. The whole point of a discussion is that many varying views are put across now if you belive some views are just rubish or Incorect you are allowed to say this. If the other poster does not like your views so be it live with it. 

I note the pack are responding to my posts as well as yours I can only guess at the negativity of them as I have found the ignore button.

One (several) man's folly  with his life choices and women choices, does not mean everyone elses life choices or women choices are as he or they would have everybody belive.  They got shafted tough live with it move on who cares apart from the people concerned. I have not been shadted used or lied to in my life/women choices maye they dont like that who knows. And I know many more who would agree. Further more it is the very same people on every thread they can manipulate to get there 'word of God" well rehearsed speach in.

Edited by Deepinthailand