Dentists object to new restrictions on X-ray usage

webfact

20 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I managed to go over 60 years in UK with only one dental X-ray.  In Thailand almost every visit is accompanied by an X-ray.  It's a way of adding 500 baht to your bill.

Just like every visit to doctor ends with prescription of antis and paracet. Lol. 

6 hours ago, trogers said:

Injuries to patients? Unlikely.

Injuries to nursing staff? Very likely.

How is it injurious to the staff? Every dentist I've ever been to in Thailand, the switch to operate the x-ray is outside the room where the x-ray is being taken.

50 minutes ago, gr8fldanielle said:

How is it injurious to the staff? Every dentist I've ever been to in Thailand, the switch to operate the x-ray is outside the room where the x-ray is being taken.

What kind of wall and door are between the switch and the dental chair?

8 minutes ago, trogers said:

What kind of wall and door are between the switch and the dental chair?

"If the normal structural materials do not afford sufficient shielding (eg a light-weight
partition wall) additional protective material such as lead or x-ray protective plaster
may be needed depending on the use of the adjacent area." 

The machines supplier/installer should ensure the room in which the machine is installed meets safety standards.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/DentalServices/Documents/ArchivePDF/guidance.pdf

1 minute ago, Fithman said:

"If the normal structural materials do not afford sufficient shielding (eg a light-weight
partition wall) additional protective material such as lead or x-ray protective plaster
may be needed depending on the use of the adjacent area." 

The machines supplier/installer should ensure the room in which the machine is installed meets safety standards.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/DentalServices/Documents/ArchivePDF/guidance.pdf

The vital word is - should! And we know how many things go wrong when they should not. Thus, certification as an added precaution.

4 hours ago, Fithman said:

Why the cynicism directed toward Thailand ?  Thailand is no worse than many third world countries and much better than some.  

If you dislike Thailand and what you perceive to be a lack of "checks and balances" then go home --- you will not be missed.

Who says I live in Thailand...making stupid assumptions....sounds like you enjoy living amongst the lies

4 hours ago, Fithman said:

21 minutes ago, Lingba said:

Who says I live in Thailand

A glance at your posting history reveals a person who suffers a paranoid hatred of all things Thai . If you no longer live in Thailand then Thailand is a much better place and wherever you are has suffered lowering of the National IQ.

definitely needs to be more education in this.  I went and got dentistry done at one of the better place sin bkk.. They sent me for an xray about a zillion times.  Its either they were not confident about their procedure, or that was the procedure. 

Either way, xrays need to be done at a minimum and there needs to be an evidence based reason for the patient. 

7 minutes ago, bkkrooftop said:

They sent me for an xray about a zillion times.  Its either they were not confident about their procedure, or that was the procedure. 

Really ?

Only a 'zillion' times ?  

Hyperbole or just plain fiction ?

It's like brain surgery or rocket science. You put the lead cover over your you-know-what's - and the radiologist ducks behind the lead partition when she snaps the picture. Must be incredibly dangerous with the actual thing taking the x-ray unprotected -  inches from your brain. Which leads me to the next question I had already anyways. Don't they have those density beeping  scanner wands yet? Of course you still need x-rays to see exactly where the nerves are for root(a) canal.

I've been in dental x-ray sessions that ranged from them not using the lead blanket and standing right there  holding the x-ray gun stationary with their bare hands... To using full body length blankets and diving into trenches for cover.

Edited by jb5music

15 hours ago, Fithman said:

Why the cynicism directed toward Thailand ?  Thailand is no worse than many third world countries and much better than some.  

If you dislike Thailand and what you perceive to be a lack of "checks and balances" then go home --- you will not be missed.

That's very respectful.. You know there's a delineation for describing 'levels' of various nations affluence... You're forgetting the

term... "developing nation" "3rd World Country" is the lowest rung of a description of a nation. In case you hadn't noticed about Thailand while you're here... especially down in say the tourist area of Pattaya and all the stores and such. Pattaya is doing a business Jack. Checkout lines are longer and cash registers are ringin off the hook more fervently than when I go back home to LA and watch department stores and supermarkets in action there. I'd almost push Thailand into the category of "Affluent Nation" from "developing nation". Thailand is not a "3rd World country"

Thailand is good . but westerners have to check freezer:thumbsup:

:laugh:

Harold Frederick Shipman must have been playing hooky the day his medical school taught the Hippocratic oath. Doing no harm appeared to be the last thing on his mind.

Over a quarter of a century, the bespectacled physician with the cordial bedside manner did away with about 250 patients — although some estimate that many more may have died at his hands — earning him the distinction as the most prolific serial killer in British history and perhaps the world.

thailand 0- GB 250

6 hours ago, jb5music said:

It's like brain surgery or rocket science. You put the lead cover over your you-know-what's - and the radiologist ducks behind the lead partition when she snaps the picture. Must be incredibly dangerous with the actual thing taking the x-ray unprotected -  inches from your brain. Which leads me to the next question I had already anyways. Don't they have those density beeping  scanner wands yet? Of course you still need x-rays to see exactly where the nerves are for root(a) canal.

I've been in dental x-ray sessions that ranged from them not using the lead blanket and standing right there  holding the x-ray gun stationary with their bare hands... To using full body length blankets and diving into trenches for cover.

Mine was full body length blanket, a lead screen for the operator, while the dental chair is just 3 metres from the reception counter with a partition wall and door between them.

23 hours ago, whatproblem said:

Safety in Thailand is only a word spoken,it's not something to be acted upon 

Even the police don't understand that they can make much money out of it.

Every dentist can use radiaton, and every Thai can drive a car in BKK.....:facepalm::facepalm:

4 hours ago, trogers said:

Mine was full body length blanket, a lead screen for the operator, while the dental chair is just 3 metres from the reception counter with a partition wall and door between them.

In my situation, I felt the xray protocol was ideal.  However, I am not some compliance officer. 

I just know in the west, I would get 1 xray max a yr.  It wasnt used for efficiency of procedure. 

In my visit, I had multiple procedures being done.  I would get an xray after every 1 to make sure everything was cool. 

In honesty think they did a great job and were just over doing it to make sure they did the best job possible.  Maybe Im naive and they were charging me 1k baht per xray. 

In hindsight , if I go back, I will tell them ahead of time to minimize the radiation.  :)

Sad day today.  Hope all is well in Thailand.  Im in Cambo with a sad heart and thinking about the future of thai more than ever. 

Last year I suggested to both the nurse and my dentist that it probably wasn't wise for the nurse to make a habit of standing with her hand under the patient's chin while taking an X-ray. The dentist said, yes you're probably right, and the nurse laughed at me - although I doubt she'll be laughing in ten years time when she gets given the news that it's lymphoma that's causing her to feel rundown.

In this day and age it's almost incredible that supposedly educated professional staff could be so ignorant or blase about such a commonly known hazard as X-ray exposure.

Use of a lead blanket is the least of my worries.   It's the output level and length of time of the X-ray....is the proper amount being emitted or is it too high of a level for too long of a time.     That's where calibration comes in.