Visa solution for 140 day stay

Hi,

I recently posted about the best visa for me to return to Thailand and I need a bit more help. The O-A Long Stay requirements from the London embassy is expensive and due to pre-existing medical conditions (not those listed by Thai Embassy) my medical exam may very well be pretty negative. That would be a waste of a £900 application. I'm looking for alternative options.

I'm a UK male, 55 years old, intending to get married shortly after I arrive in Thailand (appointment at British Embassy already booked for 1st Dec). Going to be renting a house in Prasat, Surin. No Thai bank account but I need one for my proposed return next year and conversion (of whatever visa) to an extension of stay based on marriage.

The bottom line, this time around, is I need a stay of up to 140 days from 29th November, 2016.

Planning now to come in on a SETV (60 days) and then extend by 30 days at Kap Choeng, Surin. That leaves 50 days to get...

Then a run to Savannakhet to get another visa to see out the rest of my stay. A visa which would enable me to open a bank account on the basis of marriage would be helpful or this could wait until my return in summer next year. I'm not entirely clear about the visas available at Savannakhet and their duration of stay entitlements.

One final thing, does a SETV negate having to have a return flight out already booked? I'd prefer to book the return flight from Thailand when ready.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.

Simon

Edited by SimonD
Added question.

As soon as you get married you will eligible to apply for a 60 day extension of the 60 day entry from your tourist visa to visit your wife.

Once married you can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue in Savannakhet. 

You should be able to open a bank account while on your tourist visa entry. Take your wife with you and she can be your reference to open the account by showing her ID card and house book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

OP you seem to have good answers , but i am wondering where you say the visa is expensive, and then mention £900, the visa is £125

opening bank accounts can be somewhat trying.

Hi Steve,

Yes, the Embassy fee is £125 but the ancillary costs of the requirements add up to a bit more than that:

1. Police Certificate (criminal record check) - £45

2. Medical examination at private clinic as not available on NHS - £90

3. Blood tests for above (leprosy, TB etc..) - £470 (!)

4. All above needs to be notarised by solicitor at £5 + VAT per page Probably several pages, maybe £50 in total, maybe more.

That alone comes to £730 and then add London train/tube journeys back 'n' forth and postal and admin costs and it's not far short of £800 (OK, so I exaggerated a bit :whistling:).

And then there is every chance the Thai Embassy would reject the medical exam form because of the 'catch-all' line at the bottom where the doctor has to declare that I am in 'good physical and mental health and free from any defect'. With my pre-existing physical medical conditions no quack would sign me off as 'free of any defect' and that is where my medical exam might fail. I don't want to take the risk of such an expensive Visa application being rejected.

I've got a few more questions but I'm short of time right now. As usual, Ubonjoe has given invaluable advice and my thanks to you all for replying.

Simon

Edited by SimonD
Typos, added comment

2 hours ago, SGD said:

Over 50 - just put 800k (400k when married) in bank and get retirement visa ?

That's what I intend to do later but I gotta open the bank account to put it in first.

Never mind, I'm trying to hammer the 60 days + 60 days into neat end dates that fall on weekdays so that immigration is open and avoiding holiday closures. Like planning a military operation...:ph34r:

Simon

8 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

The only medical conditions that count for an OA Visa are those listed on the Thai requirements - that's all that needs to be certified by your Doctor.

Make sure his stamp and that of the Clinic are on the letter.

Hi Evilbaz,

I wish it was a straightforward as that but see my reply to Steve187 above.

Simon

12 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

I have done 3 OA medical certificates (in Australia).

Each time it was a visual examination + questions - these ancient conditions have peculiar symptoms.

Your local GP will know your history.

When I applied for my OA visa (also in the UK) in 2008, I had to submit myself to a "thorough medical examination" which consisted of my doctor's eyes moving from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet as a prerequisite to her signing the Embassy certificate at a total cost of £10.

Whilst the comparable cost is probably rather more than £10 these days, I somehow doubt whether it would be anywhere near £560!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SimonD said:

2. Medical examination at private clinic as not available on NHS - £90

Private GP consultations can be obtained for less than £90 ! 

http://www.londondoctorsclinic.co.uk/prices/

It is also unlikely a GP would insist on blood tests as a simple medical history/physical examination would exclude all the diseases on the Thai Embassy medical form ...............

If you are aware of names of the blood tests included in the £ 470 quote you can check the prices here 

http://www.londondoctorsclinic.co.uk/services/blood-tests/a-z-of-tests/