Crankshaft pulley

farmerjo

I will try here.

Have a Hino diesel engine and the pulley to drive the fan and alternator can free spin on the rubber section of the piece bolted to the crankshaft.

Is this meant to be moulded together or as long as it grips to rotate the fan and alternator it's ok.

When i checked today it was rubbing into the engine housing with a big misalighnment.

Cheers 

So if you take the pulley in the top pic and slide it on the rubber part in the lower part in the second pic, it will freewheel? I mean from what you describe it looks like it will just fall off right? The bolt holes in the top pic are for the fan/alternator pulley right? 

If what Im describing is true, then yep you need a new damper. That rubber part dampens the imbalance in the rotating assembly of the engine. Also probably won't drive your alternator or fan either like that. 

That whole assembly should be 1 piece. 

I would recommend to take both pieces to the parts store and look at a new one. 

The second part still on the crankshaft snout is probably a press-fit with a single bolt in the middle. Probably gonna need a puller to get it off. 

Edited by Strange

Thanks,was hoping for a quick fix but looks like the radiator and oil cooler have to come out to get a puller in there.

Thanks again for confirming this.

The problem will be there's nothing to hook the puller onto

Edited by farmerjo

If you are lucky Joe the remaining pulley part will be a taper fit on the crank,and a steel drift and tap with a lump hammer  might shift it,bit of heat will help and replace the seal [if possible]  good luck mate,,

4 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Thanks,was hoping for a quick fix but looks like the radiator and oil cooler have to come out to get a puller in there.

Thanks again for confirming this.

The problem will be there's nothing to hook the puller onto

I think there is room if you use the right type of puller.  One type has the long three hook type of things. You don't want that. You want the other type that uses bolts to screw into the threaded holes or are much stockier and take up much less space.

Edited by gk10002000
correction

Just had another look and should be able to make a round plate with nut welded in middle and fix it to the 6 holes on the front face.

Short enough to work and not have to remove the radiator.

Thanks guys,it's always good to to have a think and throw ideas around before rushing in.

2 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Just had another look and should be able to make a round plate with nut welded in middle and fix it to the 6 holes on the front face.

Short enough to work and not have to remove the radiator.

Thanks guys,it's always good to to have a think and throw ideas around before rushing in.

Good luck.  over the years I have made similar "tools".  Once I had to take a 4 inch diameter piece of pipe, weld on 4 little rectangular tabs and use that to remove the threaded collar lock ring type of thing that kept the bearings in my 4 wheel drive chevy blazer circa 1980.  I miss my old house and my friend's garage that we built.  Gosh we had standup air compressor, gas and electric welding stuff, we restored our 1930 model A Fords, etc.  Happy days