Buy back our dream home! - We don't want this rubbish, say angry Phuket residents

rooster59

Buy back our dream home! - We don't want this rubbish, say angry Phuket residents

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOuqVuJW1b3lNOzv2xTU4YeBFpRnItZFSmftLmAJY.jpg
Image: Thairath

PHUKET:-- A miserable Thai couple has gone to the government's watchdog after their dream home turned into a nightmare.

Sinthichai Jitkham and his wife Sunisa paid 6.7 million for their property at a Phuket housing development.

But after continual problems they want the owner of the project to give them their money back.

Sinthichai and his wife moved in three years ago but right from the start they faced problems: "On day one the lights all shorted and we had a power cut," he said. "Then the garage roof started to leak. 

Then the plumbing on the second floor went. Cracks started to arrear. It was just one thing after another.

Flooding started appearing in the hall but the real problems were yet to come. It looked as though the joists were not fitted properly. 

The terrified couple were convinced that the whole place was going to fall down.

The rain poured in every time there was a downpour - the windows didn't fit properly.

Sunisa, in tears in front of the Damrongtham clerk, said: "It wasn't like what it appeared in the advertisement. And the company refuse to take responsibility - it is torture every day".

The couple said the project owners have done some repairs but nothing lasts. They have been told that the company has no buy back policy - so they are appealing to Damrongtham to get some action.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-12

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some builders and projects got a guarantee scheme, whereby they are responsible for certain (not all) issues. From my experience, not that easy to actually make it happen. When repairs are made, work done is sub-standard even in comparison to the original, more like patching things up. Getting a financial compensation requires legal action, doubtful outcome.   

I feel for the couple in the OP. There's no replacement for checking, double checking and doubting builders and the quality of work. Trust is a dirty word in this case, especially considering buying/building a home is one of the major financial decisions most people make.

Never buy property in Thailand. It's always a bad financial decision, especially for condos for farangs.

Living in Phuket I see what developers are doing to this place. Constantly building new condos in a bloated market with incredible environmental problems.

You know when they say the most expensive ride you'll ever take is when you drive a new car off the dealer lot. Same thing in Phuket when you make the incredibly bad decision of buying a new condo. It's worth less immediately and will never appreciate. The 6% guaranteed return bullshit everyone of them promise, bullshit.

I was looking at a development yesterday that has a shell up in Kamala where work has completely stopped after two years. Tough luck for anyone dumb enough to have bought a unit. You're SOL.

10 Reasons I'll Never Buy A Condo In Phuket

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Does the ThaiRath version of the article give the name of housing development or the developer?  Or is it just the ThaiVisa re-write that decided to leave out that info?

No chance of any company name due to Thailand's draconian name and shame laws.

Might be they took out a bank loan ....

Of course but that doesn't change the fact farang can't get a loan and not many would have that money in cash. I would love to Know what percentage of farang actually do have that type of cash. At a wild guess I'm thinking about 50 to 1, probably much higher

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Of course but that doesn't change the fact farang can't get a loan and not many would have that money in cash. I would love to Know what percentage of farang actually do have that type of cash. At a wild guess I'm thinking about 50 to 1, probably much higher

So how does your comment relate to your original post 

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

Most farang don't have a lazy 7 mill sitting in the bank like these 2 Thais so your problem is solved by default anyway

There seems a disconnect with you implying that these 2 Thais have the cash money. Still bad for  these 2 never mind they paid cash or borrowed the money, actually worse if they still owe the money. But hey we are going way off the topic.

Most so called builders here would not be qualified enough to be a bricklayers labourer in a lot of developed countries where you have to be qualified and have a builders license to manage building construction, not here from the building standards i have seen

There must be some qualified people around but i have not met one yet who can show me a diploma or degree, even a fake one which qualifies them to build a house 

3 hours ago, Pinot said:

Never buy property in Thailand. It's always a bad financial decision, especially for condos for farangs.

Absolute and utter rubbish and I include houses. That is speaking from my own numerous experiences. 

Edited by dotpoom

4 hours ago, wxpwzrd said:

Pretty much the reason I don't want to buy in Thailand. There is always a potential for a lemon, but what recourse do buyers really have? Sounds like a big <deleted> from the builders.

Was told if you (a farange) die, the property reverts back to the developer.

Also, if nobody pays there utilities, your elevators do not get fixed and the lobbies do not get renovated.  Good look selling a flat where one or more lifts are broken and the lobby looks bad.  Rent, avoid buying in Thailand, unless you are buying from an international hotel or executive apartment chain.   

I put a very small deposit on a pruksa development townhouse,come settlement I had a list of problems totalling approx 150,000baht,they kindly offered to fix the problems with a 10,000 baht option to do it myself. They had previously " fixed" the problems several times. Needless to say I walked away,lesson learned.

5 hours ago, wxpwzrd said:

Pretty much the reason I don't want to buy in Thailand. There is always a potential for a lemon, but what recourse do buyers really have? Sounds like a big <deleted> from the builders.

I agree. I came to retire not fight the system in which case I would always lose. One needs only to look at their surroundings to come to the conclusion that investing here is a bad choice. I know these people were Thai but poor construction does not discriminate. 

i have bought and sold a bit here and over 10 years i am about breaking even, which really means i have lost with inflation. one house took 3 years to sell. best to stay mobile, if i was looking to leave thailand in a hurry i would have had to take a big loss. my friends new condo has every electrical wire the same colour. everything working now but might be tricky down the line. building standards seem to be non existent in thailand.

i am down to one condo which is now completed but the title is not ready.  has been a 5 year wait already. now wondering how many years i will have to wait till the title is ready. not keen to pay till i have the paperwork.

5 hours ago, Morch said:

Some builders and projects got a guarantee scheme, whereby they are responsible for certain (not all) issues. From my experience, not that easy to actually make it happen. When repairs are made, work done is sub-standard even in comparison to the original, more like patching things up. Getting a financial compensation requires legal action, doubtful outcome.   

I feel for the couple in the OP. There's no replacement for checking, double checking and doubting builders and the quality of work. Trust is a dirty word in this case, especially considering buying/building a home is one of the major financial decisions most people make.

I have had a similar experience, despite a contract, written by an Australian lawyer, amended by a Thai lawyer, to suit Thai law, and agreed to by the builder.

the sad fact is that Thais just seem to ignore contracts.... and they seem largely unenforceable.

one chap put a sign up, on his fence,advertising his issues of non conformity to his contract, and despite the truth behind it, ended up in court for slander.

caveat emptor, I think is the applicable expression... buyer beware

i don't believe ownership is as bad as is often portrayed, but there are many pitfalls to negotiate, and if thinking about leaving the kingdom, in a year or two or ten, you need to also give serious consideration to your exit strategy... or rather, your monies exit strategy.

If they didn't want "rubbish," then they probably shouldn't have bought from a Thai developer/builder, especially in Phuket.

However, it is at least re-assuring to learn that crappy Thai building standards aren't solely reserved for the expat community, and that Thais likewise get saddled with the junk that a lot of these companies peddle. Equal opportunity and all...

12 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Useful to understand the reality just how competent Thai building really is.

I once found five different colored wires, twisted together, attached to an earth rod.... amazing in itself ( earth rod) but on closer examination, I found that the other end of that abortion, wasn't actually attached to anything ( thank goodness)

electrician friends found the photos amongst the funniest they had ever seen

TIT.... lol... standards?

IMG_1913.PNG

If they didn't want "rubbish," then they probably shouldn't have bought from a Thai developer/builder, especially in Phuket.

However, it is at least re-assuring to learn that crappy Thai building standards aren't solely reserved for the expat community, and that Thais likewise get saddled with the junk that a lot of these companies peddle. Equal opportunity and all...

Who elsewhere could they have bought from if not a Thai builder ?

Exactly!!!

Well there are plenty of goods quality developments. These 2 got stung rather badly but that's life, happens the world over. To suggest every Thai builder is a dud is a bit of a stretch

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I agree. I came to retire not fight the system in which case I would always lose. One needs only to look at their surroundings to come to the conclusion that investing here is a bad choice. I know these people were Thai but poor construction does not discriminate. 

Also agree.  Don't buy, for all sorts of reason.  BUT, if you must buy, buy second hand 2-3 years old at least.  

(1) No building guaranteeing issues with the developer.

(2) Any defect will (almost always) be apparent by then.

(3) Get to see what the complex turns out like and and not stuck in a dump or social nightmare, not able to sell.

3 hours ago, mcfish said:

Well there are plenty of goods quality developments. These 2 got stung rather badly but that's life, happens the world over. To suggest every Thai builder is a dud is a bit of a stretch

No they are not, as long as the labour is unqualified, every developpement has issues we don't have in the west.  A new house ends up costing more in Phuket/bangkok than in the west because of all the extras you need to fix yourself including isolation/windows/doors and the dreaded plumbing. 

Now condos usually are built way better, i don't know how they do it but any half decent condo seems well constructed.

Like seriously, buy a 2.5mb house in Phuket and if you want it to be on par with low income housing in the west, you have to add 4-5mb to it.  Im glad i sold my house, no matter how much money i threw at it, i could still put more and it wasnt at western standard.  My house was in one of the better projects for its price range too.

Edited by bearpolar

I really feel for this couple, they were buying what they thought would be their dream home, only to be proved wrong and have a nightmare on their hands, as usual the 'developer' has his money and walks away, no conscience, not worried, their problem not his.

In the Five years I have been here I have always rented, cheaper in the long run in my book, if there is a major problem my land lord fixes it, if it's a minor problem I fix it.

I'm lucky, I get on well with my land lord, last time he and his wife were here (June or July) they took me and the Mrs out for dinner, he also paid for a new mattress and washing machine, no rubbish, top line stuff.

I have also learnt that if you are going to buy, go for an older property, maybe 3 - 5 years old, hopefully any shoddy workmanship would have been corrected by then by the current owners. 

11 hours ago, mcfish said:

Most farang don't have a lazy 7 mill sitting in the bank like these 2 Thais so your problem is solved by default anyway

Over the years I've pissed away 3 times that    :burp:

Why was I sooooo  stupid  :crying: