Recap of current high-speed fibre plans

wpcoe

I often get lost navigating the ISP web sites, so want to confirm the current and best packages/prices.  I'm looking for 50+ Mbps download packages, realizing that the term "fibre" is used loosely with True:

True
B899  -   50/20 Mbps + 95+4 TV channels + SIM + landline
B1399 - 100/30 Mbps + 95+4 TV channels + SIM + landline

3BB

B1200 - 200/50 Mbps

AIS
B888   -   50/10 Mbps + Playbox

B1888 - 100/10 Mbps + Playbox

AIS seems a bit pricey for the 100/10 package compared to True and 3BB, so is there something newer for AIS, in particular?

True fibre hijacked me too often, you key in a site (say BBC.com) and you end up at true visions one time in 3.

they had to go, too bad 2 weeks is too short to cancel.

True are a bunch of crooks..making people pay for months after the contract was cancelled.

A couple of minor things which will be preaching to the choir for many. 

Depending on where you live True, 3BB, and AIS may or may not serve your area.  Also, with fibre it may not be fibre all the way to your residence...the final X-meters may be VDSL (or ethernet) especially if you live in a highrise which means the max speed package you can get will probably be 50/10.  

And some ISPs may even try to to sneak the  fibre word into their ADSL plans which usually go up to around 20Mb by having fibre to a node/cabinet in your area/moobaan/building and then from that point the remaining distance to your home is plan old phone line....they call this Fiber to the Node (FTTN) and TOT uses that approach in my moobaan.  So, technically they are not lying....fibre does provide the bulk of the length between their central servers and  your residence.

3BB also has a VDSL  50/10 plan for Bt700 which could very well really be fibre to the ground floor of your building you live in where it's converted to VDSL for the final X-meters up the building to your residence.  VDSL can usually reach up to around 80Mb for short distance but ISP normally limit it to 50Mb since quality of phone lines in building can vary so much....can't come close to supporting 80Mb.    Ditto for the AIS 50/10 plan in highrises.   

So, depending on where you live availability of ISP and whether you can get fibre all the way to your residence or fibre "almost" all the way with the final X-meters being VDSL may be a consideration if you have your heart set on fibre every inch of the way to your residence.

And the use of the word fibre in an ISPs plan which at least implies to many that its fibre optics all the way to your  residence can indeed be used loosely.   Like how True's HighSpeedFiber plans are mostly DOCSIS (cable) in your local area although their DOCSIS does hook into their fibre backbone upstream....and DOCSIS is capable of speeds up to 2000Mb...and True offers a 1000Mb plan.    I was on True's DOCSIS plan for 5 years and it was rock steady reliable....like 99.99 percent uptime...no complaints on uptime...but their international speeds were kinda weak....but that not due to they system being DOCSIS...it just due to their international gateway server no providing enough international bandwidth (bandwidth costs money).     And as mentioned, even with AIS and 3BB the final few meters to your home may be VDSL especially if living in a highrise.  

Below snapshot I think gives a good overview of the various Fiber To The _____ (FTTx) possibilities.  

Capture.JPG

True fibre hijacked me too often, you key in a site (say BBC.com) and you end up at true visions one time in 3.
they had to go, too bad 2 weeks is too short to cancel.
True are a bunch of crooks..making people pay for months after the contract was cancelled.

Getting bored of saying this but all the internet providers are breaking the law by insisting you pay for the 12 month contract. There is a number to call for people being harassed by one of them (do a search although it should be a sticky on here really).

22 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Getting bored of saying this but all the internet providers are breaking the law by insisting you pay for the 12 month contract. There is a number to call for people being harassed by one of them (do a search although it should be a sticky on here really).

You've mentioned this several times but have never posted details.   Have you even seen the details?    Have a website link?  Or just relaying hearsay.

FWIT, I just got TOT fiber installed into my home.  I now have 30Mbps/15Mbps and pay 750 per month.  TOT had already run fiber cable to within 380 meters of my home.  Their plan was that they would provide 300 meters of fiber optic cable free and I would pay for the remaining 80 meters at 20 baht/meter, a total of 1,600 baht.  They provided everything else, including a new modem/router and installation of the new cable into my house.  I am very satisfied with the results and now have wi-fi also in and around the house.

29 minutes ago, rickb said:

FWIT, I just got TOT fiber installed into my home.  I now have 30Mbps/15Mbps and pay 750 per month.  TOT had already run fiber cable to within 380 meters of my home.  Their plan was that they would provide 300 meters of fiber optic cable free and I would pay for the remaining 80 meters at 20 baht/meter, a total of 1,600 baht.  They provided everything else, including a new modem/router and installation of the new cable into my house.  I am very satisfied with the results and now have wi-fi also in and around the house.

+1. Very happy with TOT and had nightmare experience with True in the past. Complete crooks. 

12 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Pay for something you don't need to if you want. Your call. Not mine.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

It is like many things, if you don't ask in person....  

Like many people pay for a phone line they never use, nowhere does it say you can cancel this if you want... myself not paid the phone line service [107 baht per month] for years just have to remember to go into TRUE Office and cancel every 6 months or month 7 you will receive a bill. 

39 minutes ago, ChoakMyDee said:

Why do they limit the upload speed so much?

Generally people spend much more time downloading (i.e., browsing, downloading files/videos, etc) and uploading.   The size of an internet pipe, be it fiber, cable, xDSL, etc., is not unlimited.  If you want to make more room for upload bandwidth, you usually have to take that away from the download side.   Due to this ISP over the years have designed their systems to have more download bandwidth than upload bandwidth.  That's slowly changing with fiber becoming more prevalent since fiber systems have much more bandwidth which allows them to allot more to the upload side.

The fiber is the least worry in a connection, more importantly is the ISP Contention Ratio. Fiber basically, as far as the user is concerned, unlimited bandwidth. You wont get unlimited as the ISP has to allocate an amount of bandwidth for each type of user. Users include Businesses, Householders etc and not everyone is treated the same for a lot of reasons.

The contention ratio is by far the most important item in your network. The good ISP's operate around 12:1 but some may go up to 30:1. The lower the number the better.

The next issue is the Quality of Service or QoS. This will not be available as the internet is a "Best Effort" system.

If you need to make a decision as to which ISP to use ask around locally and see what others have to say.

Generally people spend much more time downloading (i.e., browsing, downloading files/videos, etc) and uploading.   The size of an internet pipe, be it fiber, cable, xDSL, etc., is not unlimited.  If you want to make more room for upload bandwidth, you usually have to take that away from the download side.   Due to this ISP over the years have designed their systems to have more download bandwidth than upload bandwidth.  That's slowly changing with fiber becoming more prevalent since fiber systems have much more bandwidth which allows them to allot more to the upload side.

Thanks for this. I have 3BB ADSL and I pay extra for 15 MB download but I get less than 1 upload speed. This really annoys me as I want to live stream gaming and I cannot do it under the current upload restriction...it is constantly buffering.

Is there a better option for me in Hua Hin?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Almost every area has different ISPs, ranging from one to several.   When I first moved into my western Bangkok moobaan over 8 years ago I only had a choice of 1 ISP which was TOT ADSL.  Around 3 years late True installed DOCSIS/cable TV & internet in my moobaan...I now had two ISPs.  And about 6 months ago AIS Fibre arrived my moobaan which I'm now with.    All depends on what ISP(s) service your area....ask neighbors or ISP what service is available to your area/building.  

And don't assume just because you have not seen any advertisement from a certain ISP that they service your area that the ISP does not provide service.  For example, AIS was that way when moving into my moobaan....not one sign put around the moobaan they had started providing service....you just had to ask AIS.  And the only reason I asked is because while walking the dog one day and saw a crew stringing a fibre optics trunk line around main moobaan sois I asked the crew who the fibre cable was for....they answered AIS.  Then around 6 months later they went operational in offering service to my moobaan but I had to go to an AIS Service Center for them to confirm they serviced my area (must have took them 20 minutes to confirm) and then I signed up.     

Now when True went operational in my moobaan years earlier they put signs up everywhere, had a signup booth in the moobaan for several weekends, etc.  Completely different signup approach in comparison to AIS in making everyone aware they now serviced the moobaan.

On 11/29/2016 at 6:17 PM, JaseTheBass said:

On 11/29/2016 at 6:40 PM, Pib said:

You've mentioned this several times but have never posted details.   Have you even seen the details?    Have a website link?  Or just relaying hearsay.

I remember the news article that JaseTheBass is referring to, but I thought it only applied to mobile phone packages.

Just a note that True is now bundling home phone with all there Fiber packages, and they will no longer offer/support routers in bridge mode. So if bridge mode is necessary you will probably want to avoid True.  They gave me the runaround for many days trying to "upgrade" me before finally admitting that they will not offer a router with bridge mode support.

Wont matter to most users, but if you balance more than one ISP it will to you.

I have 3BB cable to the modem in my home in Nimmarhemin Road in Chiang Mai. I think I originally took out the plan it was 30/1 for 1200฿/ month. Has been upgraded for free a couple of times. When I paid my account the other day lady said I was upgraded to 200 download and if any problems call their service number. Went home and check. APp on my Apple TV show 95 download. Went up stairs to my computer which is connected to my modem via Ethernet and speed test showed same. Called 3BB. Tech came next day. Connected his laptop direct to modem and he got 200. Showed him m results. He said Apple TV was only capable of 100. Checked and he was correct, and my Ethernet cable was a cheapy and was also only cable of 100. Also checked on that and also correct. Have bought a new Cat 6 cable but yet to try. 

Always found 3bb great service and helpful when needed..

Unless your ethernet cable was defective I'm sure it could handle a mere 100Mb.    When checking the speed of a 200Mb plan you need to ensure the device you are hooking to has 1000Mb/gigabit ethernet ports versus 100Mb/FAST ethernet ports....many laptops still just have 100Mb ethernet ports like both of my laptops that are only 3 years and 2 years old.  

However, if you have a 5Ghz Wifi router with 1000Mb ports and your computer/smart device has 802.11AC capability then you should be able to get the 200Mb speed via Wifi connection.  That's what I do on my 3 year laptop that only had 100Mb ethernet ports and also only had 2.4GHz N Wifi capability where I can get up to around 100Mb via Wifi, however, but I bought an 802.11AC USB Wifi adapter which plugs into a USB port and I can now get around 275Mb via Wifi from my 802.11AC routers/access points.  Also, I don't even like using an ethernet cable with my laptops...like to be able to move around in the house and not have to string an ethernet cable to them.

On 1/12/2016 at 5:09 PM, Pib said:

Unless your ethernet cable was defective I'm sure it could handle a mere 100Mb.    When checking the speed of a 200Mb plan you need to ensure the device you are hooking to has 1000Mb/gigabit ethernet ports versus 100Mb/FAST ethernet ports....many laptops still just have 100Mb ethernet ports like both of my laptops that are only 3 years and 2 years old.  

Yep cable got around 95Mb. It is connected to my iMac which had gigabit ethernet. My Apple TV(gen4) is only capable of 100Mb. Replaced ethernet cable with new Cat6 cable and now constantly get 247Mb on the speed test site of 3bb. Not bad for advertised 200Mb.

Whenever buying ethernet cable, just ensure it's at least Cat 5e which can handle 1000Mb speed.   Cat6 is even better but is really overkill unless used in a network backbone circuit.  The older Cat 5 cable was good to 100Mb.   In ethernet cable there are 8 wires in 4 twisted pairs.  If just one wire is broken it can cause various types of problems to include reduced speed or flat out not working depending on which wire is broken.

And just to hurt your head even more ethernet cable can come wired in two different configurations, T568A or T568B.   The only real difference between the two configurations is two of the eight wires are wired differently.   But if the port on your router and your computer were designed for a T568B cable (which is probably the case) using a T568A wired cable can cause connection/speed problems.   The olderT568A has been replaced by the newer T568B wiring configuration.

http://www.cableorganizer.com/telecom-datacom/connectors.htm