PM Prayut eyes spurring domestic tourism

webfact

PM eyes spurring domestic tourism

BANGKOK, 23 November 2016 (NNT) – The Prime Minister is laying stress on the promotion of domestic tourism and the attraction of more foreign visitors during the coming tourist season, calling on tourism businesses to be well-prepared. 

Speaking of economic stimulation during the New Year holidays, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha revealed that the government is considering all possible measures, particularly those aimed at boosting domestic tourism. He said all state offices have been instructed to hold their seminars within the country while tourism-related units have been assigned to come up with ways to draw in more foreign tourists. 

The premier insisted that entrepreneurs need to make preparations to accommodate the incoming travelers which would contribute to the strengthening of the Thai tourism industry. As for illegal tour companies, he affirmed they will be given stern punishment, adding that the government will support only those abiding by the law. 

In the meantime, Gen Prayut has entrusted his deputy in charge of security affairs with looking into reports from Australian police claiming that some internet users based in Thailand are providing funding for the Islamic State. He said investigations are underway to prevent such an act from taking place in the country.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-11-23

7 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

What's he worried about as his Minister of Tourism will produce all the necessary facts and figures to prove everything just gets better and better.

Accuracy might be another issue of course.

When has fact ever overtaken fiction in LOS :sad:

Smacks of desperation.... obviously all is not rosy in the Tourism industry, and the fantasy numbers from TAT have been found wanting...

The TAT Minister could be getting a promotion soon to an inactive post.. :post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by merlin2002

Letting TOT handle the situation  is a bit like  the fox in the hen house.

Do not  expect  much  for improvement.  It  would be nice if  he were

to spend a day and look  at  the problem himself,  or  a really trusted

and close staff member.  I sure won't  hold my breath to see  much

for improvement. Of course what do I know  I am just another

tourist from another country

Geezer

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The Prime Minister is laying stress on the promotion of domestic tourism and the attraction of more foreign visitors during the coming tourist season, calling on tourism businesses to be well-prepared. 

One answer Mr. Prayuth is let lose some helicopter money. You could claim it as your own brilliant idea "Hey Ben do you have a patent on this statement?" Why keep flogging the goose laying the golden egg. Are the TAT numbers not standing up to the sniff test?

1 hour ago, CantSpell said:

Now that they drop'd the Chinese arrivals by 30% with their actions, they want to promote domestic tourism???

Do they have any jugglers in their circus or only clowns??? :post-4641-1156693976:

Careful laddie clowns can be jugglers and politicians just don't sell em short. Look at the USA, Philippines, Mayalasia, Modi in India, Italy next and next year France and other European countries the clown domino effect. As the song says "Here come the clowns" Ah just clowning around with you. Don't take it seriously. According to my soothsayer the world is a pretty stable place. 

3 hours ago, Redline said:

Better give them some money to travel

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

One answer Mr. Prayuth is let lose some helicopter money. You could claim it as your own brilliant idea "Hey Ben do you have a patent on this statement?" Why keep flogging the goose laying the golden egg. Are the TAT numbers not standing up to the sniff test?

Now, it's funny you should say that ... .

Thai holiday makers are like Thai business investors. Both are going to neighbouring countries to spend/invest their money. 

I see multitudes of Thia tourists on flights to Vietnam which I travel frequently. Thailand is becoming unaffordable as a tourist country; even for locals. Better bang for the baht elsewhere.

Sounds like panic is setting in!  Good job that the 32.6 million number is already set in concrete!  Still, fairly easy to throw in a couple of million so-called domestic tourists into the numbers, if needed, since they can't be disputed by the lower airport figures.

Win, win situation as the PM. can also claim that it was his enterprising intervention and brilliant ideas late in November that saved the day (or in this case, the year).

8 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

What's he worried about as his Minister of Tourism will produce all the necessary facts and figures to prove everything just gets better and better.

Where is she by the way? It's been what, two weeks and no announcement on tourism being up? Should we get worried?

10 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

PM eyes spurring domestic tourism

Jeepers creepers! Where did he get those peepers?

Are you referring to the saggy bags and dark circles around his eyes? 

Pressure of work I expect. It is a big job and only PM Prayut can do it.

5 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Thai holiday makers are like Thai business investors. Both are going to neighbouring countries to spend/invest their money. 

I see multitudes of Thia tourists on flights to Vietnam which I travel frequently. Thailand is becoming unaffordable as a tourist country; even for locals. Better bang for the baht elsewhere.

Do you mean a bang literally or figuratively. 

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Where is she by the way? It's been what, two weeks and no announcement on tourism being up? Should we get worried?

I think she went to one of those clinics that stops nose growth. She is a really sweet lady to sit there and spout all that stuff with such a poker face. Is she battery operated? Robotics has come a long way today.