Strange experience at immigration... "explenation" anyone?

KIO

You were just lucky to get someone in the afternoon who couldn't be bothered to be awkward with you. Probably had been awkward all day with others and was just tired and looking to get home. Even if you bring all the correct documentation they can always find something wrong if they want to.

Consider yourself lucky and do the lottery.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You were just lucky to get someone in the afternoon who couldn't be bothered to be awkward with you. Probably had been awkward all day with others and was just tired and looking to get home. Even if you bring all the correct documentation they can always find something wrong if they want to.

Consider yourself lucky and do the lottery.

Funny thing, that's exactly what I did (true story) and you know what... I didn't win a penny!

KIO

Skickat från min G7-L01 via Tapatalk

Subtext: "I have power. I can make your life difficult, randomly and on a personal whim. You, on the other hand, are an ill-informed supplicant with absolutely no recourse to any legal procedures whatsoever. "

Yup, sounds about right!

KIO

7 hours ago, partington said:

They made a random unnecessary demand to be difficult, and then simply forgot/couldn't be bothered to follow through.

This counts as lucky, don't knock it.

Whenever I have to deal with such jobsworths here in the sandpit, I take the kindle. I read for five minutes, go and politely ask them for a progress update, read a few more and then repeat.

It normally take a max of three goes before they realise this game of "who's going to get pissed off first" is not one I often lose, and they will sign/stamp whatever is required just to get rid.

:smile:

Whenever I have to deal with such jobsworths here in the sandpit, I take the kindle. I read for five minutes, go and politely ask them for a progress update, read a few more and then repeat.

It normally take a max of three goes before they realise this game of "who's going to get pissed off first" is not one I often lose, and they will sign/stamp whatever is required just to get rid.

[emoji2]

Good one... but I just HATE to read LOL!

KIO

I can relate to your experience...

I've lived in Thailand over 10 years.  I have a retirement extension and applied for my last extension last month.

I met the Thai bank requirements, including seasoning, plus I have a pension and presented supporting documentation including an affidavit from my Embassy.

I had to make three separate trips to Immigration and secure three bank letters dated the same day of the application date.

All I heard was I have to come back in two weeks!

Twice I was told I could leave and start all over with an O visa???

It would be funny if it wasn't true.

It appears Immigration no longer follows their own website Q&A as far as requirements.  Each Officer has their own opinion and the Supervisor has their own opinion.  Each Immigration Office follows their own rules.

Because of the above the Officers have got to be overwhelmed with work by seeing the same applicants numerous times.  I would not be smiling either.

All I can say is be patient, smile and go with the flow.  Ask the Supervisor if you can return to her/him next time to avoid the wait.  I did that each time with no problems with other applicants.

As usual, in time those problems may pass as well! ?

3 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

You got what you wanted/needed.   As the prophet John said "Let it be".

Think long, think wrong.

And it is said that 'Jesus wept', probably would have cried a river had he come to Thailand today, Ha!

I can relate to your experience...

I've lived in Thailand over 10 years.  I have a retirement extension and applied for my last extension last month.

I met the Thai bank requirements, including seasoning, plus I have a pension and presented supporting documentation including an affidavit from my Embassy.

I had to make three separate trips to Immigration and secure three bank letters dated the same day of the application date.

All I heard was I have to come back in two weeks!

Twice I was told I could leave and start all over with an O visa???

It would be funny if it wasn't true.

It appears Immigration no longer follows their own website Q&A as far as requirements.  Each Officer has their own opinion and the Supervisor has their own opinion.  Each Immigration Office follows their own rules.

Because of the above the Officers have got to be overwhelmed with work by seeing the same applicants numerous times.  I would not be smiling either.

All I can say is be patient, smile and go with the flow.  Ask the Supervisor if you can return to her/him next time to avoid the wait.  I did that each time with no problems with other applicants.

As usual, in time those problems may pass as well! [emoji41]

Absolutley, I'm very grateful she bent the rules for us and I'm very happy enjoying life; 36 and retired.

KIO

Thanks for the share!

KIO

You could write a book or two about Immigration offices in thailand. Basic problem is they all seem to operate according to their own set of rules and procedures. Still none of us want to live in a nanny state. I used to photocopy everything I could think of but at times they still out did me or wanted two of everything.
My advice just go with the flow. Life is too short.

You could write a book or two about Immigration offices in thailand. Basic problem is they all seem to operate according to their own set of rules and procedures. Still none of us want to live in a nanny state. I used to photocopy everything I could think of but at times they still out did me or wanted two of everything.
My advice just go with the flow. Life is too short.

Haha, yeah, for sure one could ! And yeah, going with the flow... can one take a Bachelors of that in Thailand LOL!

KIO

Had the same thing happen to me except they talked to the gf on the phone.

In my cases they just wanted to confirm that I did live there.  GF emailled the papers to them and they were happy.  That was 3 years ago though.

One thing you have to remember is time of day.  The longer they take waiting for you the longer they may have to stay open

8 hours ago, KIO said:

It wasn't the actual handing over the papers part that confused us but rather that she handed over the papers, thus continuing the processing without recieving the lease agreement...

KIO

This is Thailand.

Had the same thing happen to me except they talked to the gf on the phone.

In my cases they just wanted to confirm that I did live there.  GF emailled the papers to them and they were happy.  That was 3 years ago though.

One thing you have to remember is time of day.  The longer they take waiting for you the longer they may have to stay open

Completly my thought going for the extension in the afternoon and hey, apparently it worked!

KIO

You're thinking too much. Don't even try to apply logical thinking to anything that happens here. Go with the flow. Sabai Sabai. You got what you wanted so no big deal...

Oh please don't get me wrong, didn't think it was a "big deal"... mostly thought it would be a tad amusing finding out peoples different takes on the situation; which the thread seems to have done, so mission accomplished!

KIO

Don't think this is only in Thailand. 

I was checking into a flight back to Thailand, but had no return ticket as was married to a Thai more than 10 years. The check in man would not let me on the flight until I had a fax sent of marriage cert. I pointed out that my passport showed I was married but he said it's in thai and he couldn't read it. I missed the flight and spent 4 days in the airport waiting for the next flight. When I checked in with my marriage cert in hand, they never even asked for it. Silly some people are. Lol 

Don't think this is only in Thailand. 
I was checking into a flight back to Thailand, but had no return ticket as was married to a Thai more than 10 years. The check in man would not let me on the flight until I had a fax sent of marriage cert. I pointed out that my passport showed I was married but he said it's in thai and he couldn't read it. I missed the flight and spent 4 days in the airport waiting for the next flight. When I checked in with my marriage cert in hand, they never even asked for it. Silly some people are. Lol 

OMG, what airport where you stuck in?

KIO

You're a tourist and you son is attending school here?

Ehh yeah... staying for 6 months and in Sweden we have something called (roughly translated) "school duty"... there's even a Swedish school here, open year round because of the high demand from long staying tourists. Have a better option; I'm all ears!

KIO

The only strange thing here is you, pretending to know but obviously knowing nothing about Thailand after so many years...

Haha, cheers mate! I let one OT slip thru but I won't bite on this one.

KIO

On 11/23/2016 at 2:49 PM, KIO said:

Hahaha, nice that someone thinks that... I'll tell the Mrs to look closer emoji1.png !

KIO

You must be Swedish .   

@KIO  I suspect you got the same charming lady I encountered to do a 90-day report in October.  She kept asking for more and more documents, one at a time, and as I pulled them out of my folder, she would then ask for another one until she finally hit one I didn't have (a signed copy of my landlord's Thai ID card.)  Absolute power play, IMHO.

Several years ago I applied for a retirement extension in Hua Hin using the combination method (income + savings = B800,000) when no place required the savings to be seasoned 90 days for a combo method.  Immigrations Officer was firm that the savings part needed to be on hand for 90 days prior.  After about five minutes of polite back and forth (including him advising me to apply in Pattaya since I said they don't require it...) he simply started stamping my passport and I received my extension without further ado.  Very similar to your experience with a firm demand for documentation but after a while proceeding without such documentation.

You just need to go with the flow.  Even if it means gastric ulcers and rupturing hemorrhoids stay cool and calm on the surface.

@KIO  I suspect you got the same charming lady I encountered to do a 90-day report in October.  She kept asking for more and more documents, one at a time, and as I pulled them out of my folder, she would then ask for another one until she finally hit one I didn't have (a signed copy of my landlord's Thai ID card.)  Absolute power play, IMHO.

Several years ago I applied for a retirement extension in Hua Hin using the combination method (income + savings = B800,000) when no place required the savings to be seasoned 90 days for a combo method.  Immigrations Officer was firm that the savings part needed to be on hand for 90 days prior.  After about five minutes of polite back and forth (including him advising me to apply in Pattaya since I said they don't require it...) he simply started stamping my passport and I received my extension without further ado.  Very similar to your experience with a firm demand for documentation but after a while proceeding without such documentation.

You just need to go with the flow.  Even if it means gastric ulcers and rupturing hemorrhoids stay cool and calm on the surface.

Thanks for the share and yes, sounds like it might of been the same lade. We never felt she was beeing impolite and my wife amusly said that -Now she has a reason doing this "case" extra slow... which she did in addition to answering 3 private calls on her cell while processing the passports. Even though the whole process went swift with us in and out in around 30 minutes; her "part" took 25 minutes... funny.

KIO