Experts plan urban forests to sustain Thai cities

webfact

Experts plan urban forests to sustain Thai cities
By Pratch Rujivanarom 
The Nation 

e655d0cc40703857959b3ed189609077-sld.jpe

BANGKOK: -- EVERYBODY can help create and manage urban forests that will boost the quality of life for city dwellers, academics from the URBAN Forest project said recently.

The initiative to increase well-managed forested areas in cities was proposed by a team of academics in a move to secure a better environment and livelihood of people in the city. They explained that forested land would not be in conflict with developed areas, and hoped that people would fall more in love with nature. 

The project is supported by the Thailand Development Fund.

A leading member of the team, Prof Pracha Koonnathamdee from the Faculty of Economics at Thammasat University, said the term “urban forest” was new and unfamiliar to most people, as it was very different from the traditional definition of forest. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301490

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-06

Lets all hope, that in reality, it would be possible to get the community support for such a needed program in all of Thailand cities.
It certainly would be a great asset to the people and air quality if done well. 

Yes it would take a more tree-friendly approach than I have ever seen here in Thailand, so much education would be needed with city staff and citizens alike. 

"EVERYBODY can help create and manage urban forests that will boost the quality of life for city dwellers..."

Doesn't that conflict with the governments new exercise plan? Now, they won't have to walk up the hills to burn the forest floor. They will be able to do it behind their houses. 

Let's get ready to hear the government's new 5 - Year Plan to eliminate urban smoke.

Edited by jaltsc

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

These places are called parks in the civilized part of the world

in my home town in nz there is a park on roughly every second block. in pattaya i have to take my kids to a play center in one of the big malls. i wonder if there were ever designated green parks in pattaya or other tourist towns. i understand that thais dont generally like being out doors in the sun but surely a park here and there would be good for tourism. cant charge them to walk on the grass?  well i suppose thats true.

8 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

in my home town in nz there is a park on roughly every second block. in pattaya i have to take my kids to a play center in one of the big malls. i wonder if there were ever designated green parks in pattaya or other tourist towns. i understand that thais dont generally like being out doors in the sun but surely a park here and there would be good for tourism. cant charge them to walk on the grass?  well i suppose thats true.

Go to nong nooch park, it's great.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

went down with my son last year. is a great place but not really where you go to throw a frisby around. fair way out as well. better to walk to and from the park if possible.

Whatever park in your imagination, superimpose a market of vendors on the green...that's what you will end up with...TiT

14 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

They should focus on re-acquiring land and creating designated green areas in Bangkok.  Hanoi has lots of green area and is quite livable (sans regime of course).  Moving forward, it would be nice if electric or clean vehicles were given a priority in the city - basically moving the energy production elsewhere (get rid of traffic ozone problems) along with a fully developed public transportation system.  It is really just on the cusp of being practical.  

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the term “urban forest” was new and unfamiliar to most people

Maybe to Thai people but not to the rest of the world.

See the Milan skyscrapers Bosco Verticale - 256-foot and 344-foot towers covered from head to toe in more than 700 trees and 90 species of plants. http://www.businessinsider.com/tree-covered-skyscraper-best-tall-building-2015-10

We just fly to Singapore and visit the Gardens at the Bay....they have a great lightshow at dawn for free right under those fake-treethings.

Also there's a great flowershow and much more, easy to go by subway as well and great foodcourts under the malls.

BKK has filthy sidewalks full of unmannered streetvendor, to each his own....there has to be a difference krab.

My hometown of Portland Oregon liked to brag when I was growing up that we had the most parks acreage in a somewhat major US city when I was growing up. Moving to Bangkok was one of those OMG experiences. If you can't make money off it, it ain't gonna happen here. Nong Nooch was contractor in Jomtien for destruction of old growth trees that stabilized the beach and provided shade, besides shoddy workmanship already crumbling, giant gullies at ill planned stairs. Care for environment, providing parks just not part of Thai mindset imo