Setting up Thai leaders for success in Asia and worldwide

webfact

Setting up Thai leaders for success in Asia and worldwide
By Jean-Francois Cousin 
Special to The Nation

BANGKOK: -- HOW CAN CEOs and human-resources executives best help Thai leaders contribute more of their unique strengths to regional and global teams and to attain world-class leadership standards?

To bring concrete answers to this timely question, the Franco-Thai Chamber of Commerce organised a panel discussion with Chalermpong Darongsuwan, managing director of Philips Electronics Thailand, Nardrerdee Arj-Harnwongse, chief people officer at Total Access Communicaton (DTAC), Catherine Jucker, head of manufacturing, emerging Asia, at Baxter Healthcare (Asia), and Jean-Francois Cousin, global executive coach at Greatness Leadership Coaching.

The four speakers first acknowledged several strengths characterising many Thai leaders, such as their energy for success, thirst for learning, care for others, “family values” at work, pragmatism, resilience in the face of challenges, flexibility when change is unavoidable, and collaboration in tough times.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30301465

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-06

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

" Family values at work ".

One of the greatest barriers to advancement in just about any sphere of activity is the prevalence of nepotism in selecting "leaders".

The PM did say it was understandable for officials to be surrounded by people they can trust etc.

He didn't say anything about competence, ability or suitability though !

"flexibility when change is unavoidable" ... you have got to be joking right! Change is not something Thai Leaders embrace. Based on research I did way back in 2013 called "The Cultural Dynamics of practising Change & Transformation in Asia" the dynamic that came out on top in Thailand was one of Change Awareness (understanding the need for change is not prevalent). IMHO Thailand practices the NIKE approach to change ... just do it ... there is no flexibility no stakeholder engagement, no communication. Btw the other dynamics that came out on top were Hierarchy (bosses in Thailand find it hard to let go and empower staff) and Responsibility (Thai staff find it difficult expressing opinions until the boss has and then they all agree).

I have to assume that this was accurate reporting by the NATION:

'"The four speakers first acknowledged several strengths characterising many Thai leaders, such as their energy for success, thirst for learning, care for others, “family values” at work, pragmatism, resilience in the face of challenges, flexibility when change is unavoidable, and collaboration in tough times".

As otherwise, I might think that the NATION had been "got at".  :whistling:

Thirst for learning? They know better than any foreigner. Too bad they don't learn from their past monarchs wise decisions. Wasn't it about 100 years ago that the King at that time brought in a Frenchman to administrate the country!

The best managers and ceo's I have worked for and with, were those who had spent time preforming every task that the people who eventualy work for them do. Every potential manager hired had a on the job training program that might be 1, 2, 3, years or longer. This included attending labor/ union meeting as spectators.

What I see here, it appears the majority of big business have a virtual monopoly on the business, and are largely family owned, thus the business is theirs for the taking. Labor is mostly supplied /paid via subcontractors, so labor organizations are few and far between. I am sorry but there does not much in common with leadership nor labor here and in most of the real world. If Thai compnies want the cream of managers, send them to train with foreign companies who have a good history. A quick trip thru China to observe how they deal with corrupt managment would be nice to include, just to see if it has any affect on future earnings.