Bad guys out! Japanese clamping down on Thais abusing visa privileges

webfact

22 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Then Thais wonder why they need visas to go anywhere.

I also don't understand why the thai are allowed to drive cars abroad (developed countries). They never got the 40-60 hours of drivinglessons like we got in Europe.

Edited by fruitman

6 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I also don't understand why the thai are allowed to drive cars abroad (developed countries). They never got the 40-60 hours of drivinglessons like we got in Europe.

I suppose they can get an International licence as easily as their Thai one and neither are proof of any level of competence.

14 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I suppose they can get an International licence as easily as their Thai one and neither are proof of any level of competence.

I guess so, add to that they can't speak english so in case of an accident in Europe we even have to hire translators to speak to them.

Also i have Thai friends who like to drive themselves around in Japan, they seriously can't speak a word english, nothing at all. They bring their kids and just do it.

21 hours ago, digibum said:

Karma.  

I wonder what would happen in western countries started cracking down on Thais working illegally, banned them from owning land, and said that they couldn't control more than 49% of any company.  I wonder how well that would go down with the elite, military, and police.  

interesting point. Yet I wonder how would all the Europeans, Americans, Australians and citizens of all the other great western and advanced countries would feel if they had to go through the same process and expenses as Thai people have to go through to get a simple tourist visa to visit their country

On 12/6/2016 at 10:16 AM, digibum said:

Karma.  

I wonder what would happen in western countries started cracking down on Thais working illegally, banned them from owning land, and said that they couldn't control more than 49% of any company.  I wonder how well that would go down with the elite, military, and police.  

That cant happen in the PC West, there would be howls of accusations of racism from those who want less immigration.

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

interesting point. Yet I wonder how would all the Europeans, Americans, Australians and citizens of all the other great western and advanced countries would feel if they had to go through the same process and expenses as Thai people have to go through to get a simple tourist visa to visit their country

Fair point but, really, what are we talking about here?  My wife recently applied for a Schengen visa (she skipped the trip to the consulate only because we had a last minute change of plans).  

Fill out a form.  

Be able to show sufficient funds for your trip (bank statement)

Show anything that indicates you have a reason to return (job waiting for you, property, etc)

Show a hotel and transportation in and out of the Schengen zone

Make an appointment and go to the embassy/consulate

Is it really that tough?   You have to fill out a form to get a Thai tourist visa.  You have to show onward travel upon arrival.  The three biggest differences are that proving your funds, showing a reason why you will return, and the physical trip to the embassy.  

Would it be that hard for most people to print out a bank statement?  How about getting a letter from your employer saying that you are employed and have been granted holiday?  

The real pain in the butt applying for a Schengen visa is the fact that you have to physically be present to submit your application.  That could entail traveling hundreds of miles to get to the nearest consulate.  

Of course the visa fees are higher but they're not egregious.  

Do I prefer how things are today?  Sure.  It's convenient.  But I certainly wouldn't begrudge Thailand if they upped the requirements either as long as they were similar to those Thais have to go through.  

And if the ultimate outcome of that was that I could actually own land in my name, start up a business without Thai "partners", and had a clear path to permanent residence if I was contributing to the Thai economy, hey, I would be more than willing to live with more stringent visa requirements.  

36 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That cant happen in the PC West, there would be howls of accusations of racism from those who want less immigration.

Actually, why couldn't you just position it as reciprocal rights?  It has very little to do with immigration.  You're not singling out a people.  You're singling out a bad policy in another country that is unfair.  

For instance, in the US, if an American can own land in another Country A, Country A citizens can own land in the US. If Country B has very restrictive business requirements aimed at limiting foreign owners, the US would impose similar restrictions.  

It's hard for people to argue anything non-PC was going on if the rules were reciprocal.  If Country B wants the US laws to change, all they need to do is change their laws.  

2 hours ago, digibum said:

Fair point but, really, what are we talking about here?  My wife recently applied for a Schengen visa (she skipped the trip to the consulate only because we had a last minute change of plans).  

Fill out a form.  

Be able to show sufficient funds for your trip (bank statement)

Show anything that indicates you have a reason to return (job waiting for you, property, etc)

Show a hotel and transportation in and out of the Schengen zone

Make an appointment and go to the embassy/consulate

Is it really that tough?   You have to fill out a form to get a Thai tourist visa.  You have to show onward travel upon arrival.  The three biggest differences are that proving your funds, showing a reason why you will return, and the physical trip to the embassy.  

Would it be that hard for most people to print out a bank statement?  How about getting a letter from your employer saying that you are employed and have been granted holiday?  

The real pain in the butt applying for a Schengen visa is the fact that you have to physically be present to submit your application.  That could entail traveling hundreds of miles to get to the nearest consulate.  

Of course the visa fees are higher but they're not egregious.  

Do I prefer how things are today?  Sure.  It's convenient.  But I certainly wouldn't begrudge Thailand if they upped the requirements either as long as they were similar to those Thais have to go through.  

And if the ultimate outcome of that was that I could actually own land in my name, start up a business without Thai "partners", and had a clear path to permanent residence if I was contributing to the Thai economy, hey, I would be more than willing to live with more stringent visa requirements.  

you missed one minor fact. Europeans don't have to apply for a visa in order to visit Thailand for up to 30 days with option for extension. Thais MUST apply for a visa to Europe's even if they only have a layover of few hours between flights if they want to get out of the airport.

22 hours ago, crabis said:

what country are you from ??? 

in denmark we do... Thai tourist are not allowed to work in denmark ... and if they are caught doing so  ... they will be hold in prisoned  until send out of the country ... and be banned from returning for years.... you can't buy a summer house in denmark if you aren't a danish citizen ... 

on this point Thailand isn't that different from most other countries ....

Thailand is different than western countries. Most allow foreign property ownership. None have lese majeste laws. Most allow 100% foreign business ownership. But yes no country allows you to work while on a tourist visa or they wouldn't have tourist and business visas. Everyone is getting stricter about visa compliance as nationalism sweeps the world.

22 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

you missed one minor fact. Europeans don't have to apply for a visa in order to visit Thailand for up to 30 days with option for extension. Thais MUST apply for a visa to Europe's even if they only have a layover of few hours between flights if they want to get out of the airport.

No, I don't think I missed any facts at all.    

The question was what if westerners had to go through the same hurdles that Thais have to go through.  I simply described what the process was for a Thai to visit Europe and stated that it's not really that big of a cost or hassle - other than having to physically visit the consulate which, IMHO, is a pain in the butt.  

I further said that if westerners had to go through that same process to visit Thailand but we could own land, fully own our own businesses, and had a reasonable path to obtaining permanent residency, I would think it would be a fair tradeoff for more stringent tourist visa requirements which were on par with Thais visiting western countries.  

You're entitled to think it's not worth the hassle.  That's fine.  But I'm not overlooking any facts at arriving at my opinion.  

In fact, I have no problem with Thailand making it more difficult for westerners to visit (outside of the impact on tourism, and thus the Thai economy).  Thailand could use a little weeding out of back to back to back to back tourist visa abusers.  I mean, would it be such a bad thing if some of the people who come over thinking they can live on $10 a day were denied visas because of lack of funds to support themselves during their travels?  

But that's my opinion.  You're free to have your own as long as it doesn't involve misinterpreting my opinion.  

"Sanook.com reported that Thais abusing the tourist visa privilege to work or live illegally in Japan were making life difficult for bona

fide tourists."

Yeap, but when it's arrogant foreign scofflaws in Thailand we're talking about, so many here stubbornly insist otherwise (overstaying & other visa abuse) even though it's obvious.

On 6/12/2016 at 11:45 PM, digibum said:

No, seriously, you are suggesting a lot of things I didn't say.  I don't know if it's a language thing but there's some serious miscommunication going on.  

Let me make this a bit more clear.  The Thai elite, military, and police have been socking away money in the US and other countries for a long time.  That is why they would care.  I'm sure you might remember a certain Mr. Thaksin who owned the Man City football team in England, no?  Or perhaps all of that property in Dubai is buying itself?  

Yes, I did have work permits to work in the EU, thank you.  And no, I did not need permanent residency to buy property in many of the the countries in the EU.  I know Americans who do not have permanent residency in any EU country that own homes there.  If you wish to live in the home you have to obtain residency but you don't have to be a resident to buy the property.  

So Thailand IS DIFFERENT.  

You seem to be conflating a bunch of different issues.  

1.  Thais can and do purchase property in many western countries without being permanent residents.  

2.  That reverse is not true.  Westerners cannot go to Thailand and buy property, permanent resident or not.  

Last point, I don't care what you think about NYC.  I guess 12 million people live there, and it has the one of the highest property values in the world because people just can't get themselves enough of those police states.   

okay ... let me hear what is it you think i did suggest in my first reply  ???

just take the first reply ... and tell me what i did suggest  ?

but let me tell you something you are such an ignorant american...  and the reason why your dump of a country is circling they drain :)

american are among the most stupid students in the world ... go look that fact up... and you are clear a evidence of that...

you lecture me in the laws of europe :) 555 so funny!!!

i didn't say that thailand wasn't different ...but what i said was, on that point (read the what this all started with ) they are pretty much the same as most other countries ...

try to read it again ignorant ass wipe....

so you dont care of that i think ... why do you think the of the world cares about usa ... apparently you can't read english either ... 

arrogant americans... you guys are so funny how you think the rest of the world needs you ... and you think the american way of life is so fantastic ... you dont even live in a democracy ... 

and look that up too .. sure you will say you do ... and that just show how F..... stupid you are ! cos you dont even know the difference between a democracy and an republic ... 

you know what... just keep talking ... and let everyone see how stupid you are  :)) 555

Edited by crabis

On 7/12/2016 at 7:40 AM, VN4now said:

Thailand is different than western countries. Most allow foreign property ownership. None have lese majeste laws. Most allow 100% foreign business ownership. But yes no country allows you to work while on a tourist visa or they wouldn't have tourist and business visas. Everyone is getting stricter about visa compliance as nationalism sweeps the world.

but on this point ...where the story in taken from ...thailand isn't any different that other countries ....

<deleted>... why can't people read what i wrote ... and comment on that ... sure thailand is different... all countries are different ... BUT ON THE VISA POINT  MOST COUNTRIES ARE THE SAME !!!