Extra stamp needed when using embassy letter for proof of income at Nonthaburi Immigration

Last April I moved from Bangkok to Nonthaburi, so this was my first year doing my extension of stay at Nonthaburi immigration.

I always exclusively use my pension as proof of income, notarised by the U.S. Embassy. Never had a problem using this method at Chang Wattana when doing my yearly extension.

However, at Nonthaburi a "Thai Consulate Guarantee" is required along with the embassy notarisation. Basically, this is just a stamp done at the Legalization Division at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building.

No proof was required. I just submitted a copy of my passport picture page, a copy of my visa, and the original embassy letter.

The Legal Division stamped the back of the embassy letter and mailed it to me by EMS two days later (260 THB). If I wanted to pick it up in person I would have had to return the next day, so to avoid the hassle I had them mail it.

A little bit of an inconvenience having to go out to Chang Wattana for an extra stamp, but once a year it's not that big of a deal.

Just a heads up to anyone in a similar situation.

Wondering if this policy is required at the other Thai Immigration Offices?

20 minutes ago, maxx58 said:

Wondering if this policy is required at the other Thai Immigration Offices?

Only at 3 other offices for extension applications. And in Pattaya for a non immigrant visa application.

I think  the sticker they did looked like this.

signature certification.jpg

• Like 1

If using an Embassy income letter for applying to change the visa (Tourist Visa to Non O) or for a visa (exempt arrival applying for a Non O), Pattaya Immigration has been requiring the Ministry stamp for some time now - however, for those entering on a Non-Immigrant O Visa and applying for an extension of stay using the Embassy letter, they have been accepting the letter with no requirement for a Ministry stamp.

20 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

If using an Embassy income letter for applying to change the visa (Tourist Visa to Non O) or for a visa (exempt arrival applying for a Non O), Pattaya Immigration has been requiring the Ministry stamp for some time now - however, for those entering on a Non-Immigrant O Visa and applying for an extension of stay using the Embassy letter, they have been accepting the letter with no requirement for a Ministry stamp.

Correct. I am currently renewing my Non Immi O 12 month extension and the Embassy letter was fine on its own.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only at 3 other offices for extension applications. And in Pattaya for a non immigrant visa application.

Yes, I'll be interested to know if the new Petchaburi office will require it.

Some of the personnel are from Hua Hin which was one of the offices requiring a MFA stamp.

There is a new IO chap working at the Nonthaburi Immigration office. Started about half a year ago.

Not old guy, tall, lousy command of English - but happy to speak it, and he sure has ideas about this and that.

So far I have mostly seen him doing the final QA check of papers/documents before passport is handed back to customers.

When I did my retirement extension bit in September (I use 800k in bank method, fixed account) he started to yap yap about

fixed accounts and savings accounts. Said that he would prefer that I had my satang in a savings account rather than a

fixed account. Furthermore, if the satang where in a savings account it was a requirement that the passbook was updated

every month. However, he did accept my fixed account along with a certification letter re the account balance from the bank, even though the last time the book was updated was 1 year ago, except the update the present day.

I am not sure, but my impression was that he did not make an exception for me, this was his normal thinking (that day).

A guy to look out for and preferrably avoid, if possible.

44 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

There is a new IO chap working at the Nonthaburi Immigration office. Started about half a year ago.

Not old guy, tall, lousy command of English - but happy to speak it, and he sure has ideas about this and that.

So far I have mostly seen him doing the final QA check of papers/documents before passport is handed back to customers.

When I did my retirement extension bit in September (I use 800k in bank method, fixed account) he started to yap yap about

fixed accounts and savings accounts. Said that he would prefer that I had my satang in a savings account rather than a

fixed account. Furthermore, if the satang where in a savings account it was a requirement that the passbook was updated

every month. However, he did accept my fixed account along with a certification letter re the account balance from the bank, even though the last time the book was updated was 1 year ago, except the update the present day.

I am not sure, but my impression was that he did not make an exception for me, this was his normal thinking (that day).

A guy to look out for and preferrably avoid, if possible.

This is the section as of 29th August 2557(2014) 2.22 In the case of retirement:...... On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months......

There is no mention of what type account is required.

1 minute ago, TKDfella said:

This is the section as of 29th August 2557(2014) 2.22 In the case of retirement:...... On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months......

There is no mention of what type account is required.

fair enough,

but that piece of legislation doesn't help you if the chap in charge of giving you your passport back has other ideas

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Hello all,  a little bit of confusion here, I'm going to do my yearly extension in a couple of months based upon income letter. I live in Pattaya and came in to Thailand with a O-A Visa and are about to do my second extension of stay , do I need to go to Bangkok to get my income letter from the consulate here in Pattaya notarized ? if so it would be great to have the address in Bangkok for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs .  Thanks in advance...

2 minutes ago, spetersen said:

Hello all,  a little bit of confusion here, I'm going to do my yearly extension in a couple of months based upon income letter. I live in Pattaya and came in to Thailand with a O-A Visa and are about to do my second extension of stay , do I need to go to Bangkok to get my income letter from the consulate here in Pattaya notarized ? if so it would be great to have the address in Bangkok for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs .  Thanks in advance...

No you don't since you will be applying for an extension of stay  not a non immigrant visa.

• Like 1

Hi, I have just completed my type "O " non immigrant retirement visa  based on proof of income with my Australian Military pension. I requested proof of income letters from my Military and DVA pension funds from Australia. I had an Affidavit witnessed, signed and stamped by Australian Embassy (Bangkok) staff confirming my income stream. These documents were sufficient with Immigration at the Mukdahan office. There was no request from the staff for additional Thai  government stamps.

Along with the usual paperwork required my extension was over and done in 45 minutes. A big well done to the staff at Mukdahan Immigration, they are always very helpful.

On 12/9/2016 at 9:42 AM, ubonjoe said:

Joe just out of curiosity do you know what 3 immigration offices require this stamp for visa extensions?  I've never heard of this before.  Thanks.  

8 minutes ago, John F Gill said:

Joe just out of curiosity do you know what 3 immigration offices require this stamp for visa extensions?  I've never heard of this before.  Thanks.  

Not Korat where you do your extensions.

Hua Hin, Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya .

• 1 month later...

"Not Korat where you do your extensions.
Hua Hin, Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya ."

When did this start at Sam Khok, Pathum Thani?  It was not the case February 2016 when I did my last extension with the U.S. Embassy letter.

I'm headed there this morning for another extension but this time based on baht 200,000 in SCB for the last three months.  If this is rejected for whatever reason, I have made an appointment at the Embassy for next week for the income letter, guess I could stop by MFA at Chang Wattana on the way back if necessary.

Mac 

56 minutes ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

When did this start at Sam Khok, Pathum Thani?  It was not the case February 2016 when I did my last extension with the U.S. Embassy letter.

It was reported late spring or early summer last year. One report was that they also wanted the income affidavit translated to Thai and certified.

58 minutes ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

I'm headed there this morning for another extension but this time based on baht 200,000 in SCB for the last three months.

Did you leave a zero off of the 200,000 baht number,