Makro coming to Kalasin

Bangkok Barry

Just a heads up that Makro are opening in Kalasin, on the same side of the road as Big C heading out of town towards Somdet etc. They've just started building but are already advertising for staff. Opening date is March. I'm a little surprised that there is expected to be enough demand in the area but I assume they've done their market research. A pity there is still no sign of a Villa opening yet anywhere in the area. Not even in Khon Khen, even though there are two in Udon.

Company's such as Makro do not build / expand based upon current markets, but rather based upon 5 to 10 year projections of the markets...  So they must think that Kalasin will continue to grow at the rate that it has over the past 5+ years...  Even though the overall economic trends for all of Thailand (Kalasin included) seem to be going down.. 

As to Villa Market, I was told by someone in the Villa HQ that once the first Villa location lease was either up or settled, they would be seriously seeking a Khon Kaen location to move and use the equipment from the first Udon location...

Pianoman

8 hours ago, JoeW said:

In addition to Makro, there will also be a Robinson opening in 2018 on the patch of land in front of Global House. Land has been bought already.

And that means Tops too. Funny how things develop. About 10 or so years ago when I'd bought a house near Somdet I pictured us having to make monthly trips to Khon Kaen to stock up on food and then keep it in a chest freezer. Now we have Big C and Tesco at Kalasin with Makro and Robinson/Tops to follow. Now, all I need is a Villa and a Burger King............ ;)

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Immigration is looking to locate in Yang Talat near the police station. The land has to be government owned or we would have offered our land next door to Big C Kalasin. 

looking or doing  ??any schedule on that

4 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

looking or doing  ??any schedule on that

The land has been located...however it will take at least 5 years to even start the immigration office.

Each province will have an immigration office and for many of us Yang Talat will be closer than any other office.

Sure beats the 130 km drive to Sakhon Nakhon...

Last summer while waiting for a friend to complete his yearly extension I had a serious discussion with the Head Officer at Sakon Nakhon regarding the lack of "Logic" (a word that does not translate well into Thai) about having to make the 2+ hour drive over dangerous roads from Kalasin, when they now have offices in both Roi Et and Mahasarakhom...   She told me at that time that Kalasin was scheduled for an office in 5 years....   Then two weeks ago while doing my own yearly extension, (my 14th) she proudly stated that now it should only be 3 or 4 years...

Pianoman

12 hours ago, JoeW said:

The land has been located...however it will take at least 5 years to even start the immigration office.

Each province will have an immigration office and for many of us Yang Talat will be closer than any other office.

Sure beats the 130 km drive to Sakhon Nakhon...

Trollometer.jpg