Grammar Q's and A's

PeaceBlondie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Doza - finicky pedants unite! :o

I think it just comes down to general literacy mistakes...

Why do some people (think its an American thing) say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less"???

The idea it so imply your care factor is so low, it can't go any lower so saying "could" doesn't make sense because you are actually saying your care factor is not at its lowest and you could, if you wanted to, care less, but in fact you don't. So you are actually caring!

Whereas "couldn't" means you don't care so much you have reached the end of your care factor and you can't go any lower and is in fact the correct usage I believe.

Eg.

"I couldn't care less if my girlfriend leaves because I hate her". Your cae factor is at rock bottom already and can't go any lower here.

"I could care less if my girlfriend leaves because I hate her". YOu in fact care to some degree because you say you could actually care less than you are right now so your care factor is not at its lowest here.

Make sense people...? Can we have some agreement and stick to the correct usage please?

I am glad we are reaching a general consensus here :o I couldn't care less if inflammable means the same thing as flammable but I could care less if anyone disagrees with me here!!!!!

Seriously though, this has irked me for some time now and I am glad to get it off my chest. I feel good about it.

It's American irony, exaggerating to show extreme meaning, or minimalizing. I'm of the old school, so I say the proper "I could not care less." Younger Americans who also like to way "whatever, dude...." might say, "Oh yeah, like, I could care less." I don't care how they say it; in its context, I understand them.

I'm more pedantic about its/it's and mis-spelling ridiculous as rediculous.

Then again, I didn't use pedantic until knowing that the boot of the drophead coupe was behind the bonnet and the windscreen, whilst amongst the saloons.

...but I could care less if anyone disagrees with me here!!!!!...

Now, do you really mean "could" or "couldn't"? :o If you mean "couldn't" you could call all the rest of us dissenters TROLLS! (shudder). If you really mean "could" then we are your buddies. Right? Wrong?

Wait, I think I've confused myself.... :D

Edited by toptuan

Watch my avatar :D

that's Tornado's Avatar!!!! :o

To the O.P, The yanks, although having some good people in their society, are not exactly renowned for having a very good vocabulary.

y'all know what I mean, Homey?

Sorry Maestro, wrong.

Dogblower - I am with you, sets me off too. But it's just in the written sense. When people speak they are actually saying 'have' but its been shortened into one word with use to 'could'ave' and sounds like could of, so that's what imbeciles write!

I heard people saying it in Thailand. And Thai people might hear it and start using incorrect English terms, so this could have a negative effect on the country and other terrible consequences!!! Very relavent to Thailand.

Thailand? Well, I could of moved this to the Teaching in Thailand Forum, but somebody would of thought that was rediculous. :o Note the smiling emoticon, that indicates I'm joking. In fact, even if this topic didn't start there, it's already in the teaching forum.

Seriously, I started a grammar thread here; I could merge these two threads. This is precisely the sort of thing that English teachers in Thailand argue over. Or, they argue beneath it, in Thailand, under a cloud of uncertain pedantry.

All joking aside, proper use of subject matter is important. Scientists don't discuss gravity as if they mean moisture, and economists have to agree what inflation is before they can discuss price increases or money supply.

Topics merged/

This IS Thailand related. The English language is VERY confusing. I wasn't aware of just how confusing until my Thai wife started studying in earnest. I find that I have to tell her many times that I simply don't know why some words mean the same thing and some spelled the same DON'T mean the same thing. I'd guess at one time teachers had to justify keeping their jobs and created MANY more words than are necessary. :o

Saying that this is Thailand related because some Thai's try to learn English is like saying it's ok to start a new thread on the historical implications of the Rwanda genocide, because . . well . .Thailand has diplomatic relations with Rwanda.

The link is tenuous at best.

Still . . I could care less.