why are they allowed to sell alcoholic beverages in patong after midnight?

Howitzer

so i went to a family mart store in patong. was surprised they allowed me to buy beers when it was around 2am. I noticed that 7-11 in phuket has the same timings as elsewhere but just surprised that they could have such timings in family mart in patong phuket.

so i went to a family mart store in patong. was surprised they allowed me to buy beers when it was around 2am. I noticed that 7-11 in phuket has the same timings as elsewhere but just surprised that they could have such timings in family mart in patong phuket.

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Many "mom and pop" (non-franchise) convenience stores in Bangkok and elsewhere totally ignore the liquor sale laws and sell whenever they're open...one, near my hotel on a lower Sukhumvit soi, sells from the moment they open in the morning (8 am) until they close around 2 am or so, no "blackout period."  It's unusual to hear of a franchise store like Family Mart doing this, though.

I could always buy alcohol in any Family Mart nationwide, at all times, including Buddhist holidays. Lotus and 7-Eleven are pretty strict about the liquor laws, they usually only sell alcohol out of the normal times in tourist areas like Pattaya etc, but even there not on holidays.

I was in a 7/11 yesterday around 3 in the afternoon on Soi Bukhao and a guy in front bought Beer and a Bottle of Whisky no problem. 

I have just bought alcohol from a 7/11 near where I live off 3rd Road even though there are notices on the fridge door saying you can't be between the hours of 2 and 5.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

I think the franchise stores are feeling the pain from the Mom and Pop operations. My little store sells on the same time table. Could be an upcoming crackdown the flavor of the day photo op. 

From selling beers after 2am in Patong to a crackdown on Ma and Pa shops by post 4.This must be a new record on misinformation.

4 hours ago, wump said:

I could always buy alcohol in any Family Mart nationwide, at all times, including Buddhist holidays. Lotus and 7-Eleven are pretty strict about the liquor laws, they usually only sell alcohol out of the normal times in tourist areas like Pattaya etc, but even there not on holidays.

In Pattaya the 7/Elevens near where I live abide by the selling hours but the Family Mart nearest to me will sell at any time.

4 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I was in a 7/11 yesterday around 3 in the afternoon on Soi Bukhao and a guy in front bought Beer and a Bottle of Whisky no problem. 

I have just bought alcohol from a 7/11 near where I live off 3rd Road even though there are notices on the fridge door saying you can't be between the hours of 2 and 5.

l find that hard to believe but wouldn't be surprised in Pattaya l guess they ring it up at 5 o/c later.

15 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I think the franchise stores are feeling the pain from the Mom and Pop operations. My little store sells on the same time table. Could be an upcoming crackdown the flavor of the day photo op. 

I think it is probably the other way around.

You can buy from tesco at any time of the day as long as its above a certain quantity

Its been years since i have done so but from memory it was one and a quarter cases of beer

So you are not allowed to be a happy drunk but you can get really pissed any time of the day or night 

12 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

In Pattaya the 7/Elevens near where I live abide by the selling hours but the Family Mart nearest to me will sell at any time.

I should add that for many years Friendship Supermarket sold booze whenever they were open, except for religious holidays. Then a year or two ago they started to sell only during legal hours. 

18 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

You can buy from tesco at any time of the day as long as its above a certain quantity

Its been years since i have done so but from memory it was one and a quarter cases of beer

So you are not allowed to be a happy drunk but you can get really pissed any time of the day or night 

No not any more will not sell untill exact selling times are reached not even 2 mins early.

7 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

No not any more will not sell untill exact selling times are reached not even 2 mins early.

You can buy booze at any time at the mom and pop stores as long as they know you

No surprising you cannot any longer at the large supermarkets and chain stores

Edited by madmax2

18 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

A welcome reversal of fortune in the very unlikely event it's true.

Depends on the distance from the 7/11 to a school ( Yes, really lol). If it's closer than 150 metres from a school then they cannot sell alcohol between the hours of 6:30 am - 12 and then 3:00 pm - 6:pm. But the mom and pops store can sell it anytime, ( often found next door ). The same applies to Tesco Lotus and Family Mart.

Edited by lucifer666
more info

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Not correct ... I tried to buy a case of whisky in a Tesco. I argued that it was allowed at any time if a 'bulk' buy. Big mutterings and running about ... my purchase was denied.

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Not correct ... I tried to buy a case of whisky in a Tesco. I argued that it was allowed at any time if a 'bulk' buy. Big mutterings and running about ... my purchase was denied.

You used to be able to buy in bulk at anytime, but I do believe that that law was recently  changed and you are now no longer able to do so

3 hours ago, madmax2 said:

The above ten litre thing in the big shops like Makro in Phuket (I cannot speak for OTHER areas in Thailand at present) only works now if one has a licence to purchase outside licencing hours. Its been like that for about two years.

I think the likes of 7/11 and some of the other places have the registers central locked to reject alcohol sales outside legal hours- they certainly seem to be more strict and not able to use discretion.  

Big C in Kamala knocked someone back at 10am this morning but he was Russian so I can live with that!

Edited by Psimbo