Free period for Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry extended

webfact

Free period for Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry extended
By The Nation

PATTAYA: -- The free ferry service across the Gulf of Thailand between Pattaya and Hua Hin will be available during the trial period until January 31. 

The official ferry service, which was set to begin operations tomorrow, was delayed until the end of the month due to storms in the South. As a result, the ferry operator Royal Passenger Liner announced the change of plans.  

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30303819

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-10

This project is about to explode before it even started.

Obviously, the operators didn't learn from the 2 recent experiences over the last 10 years, where either bad weather or lack of passengers caused failures. 

Edited by joepattaya1961

49 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

This project is about to explode before it even started.

Obviously, the operators didn't learn from the 2 recent experiences over the last 10 years, where either bad weather or lack of passengers caused failures. 

Can't possibly fail. The PM has given it the thumbs up. The PM's judgement is always right. 

24 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Free is not free if you are stuck in Pattaya or Hua Hin overnight because of bad weather

Someone please explain to me why anyone would take such a chance on getting stuck.  Tropical weather is not unusual in the tropics 

Did you forget it's the high season...

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Free is not free if you are stuck in Pattaya or Hua Hin overnight because of bad weather

Someone please explain to me why anyone would take such a chance on getting stuck.  Tropical weather is not unusual in the tropics 

Hopefully the weather will settle down in a week or 3. Current conditions are some what unusual for the time of year.

If stuck and the boat don't run, if not in a hurry you can stay an extra night, or if needs be use the road.

On 1/10/2017 at 11:45 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Geographically speaking,i thought we were sub tropical.But i suppose it doesnt make much difference,as long as the beer is cold.

Where did you get that idea? Geographically speaking, Thailand is completely in the tropics.

jimjim

Yes you are right.I checked a few longitude and latitude details and the degrees given,taking in the different parts of the country,do prove that we are completely tropical.This stems from an argument i had years ago with a structural engineer.His argument sounded so positive,that,as a newbie,i tended to believe him.But i have,since,learnt differently.Thank you for the information.:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

so now they've changed the pier?

I can't see why they are setting out on a project for which they are so clearly unprepared..........

If it was a reasonably priced car ferry maybe even with multi-drop I could see the value, but 1200 baht a go e/w as a jolly for the occsional bored tourist seems quite balmy to me.

2 hours ago, Becker said:

You just got off the boat, didn't you (pun intended):wink:!?

I don't think you understand what a pun is - just saying something about boats isn't actually a pun - it is a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings....you don't seem to achieve any of those prerequisites in your post; you just use the word "pun" - this isn't sufficient

20 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

I don't think you understand what a pun is - just saying something about boats isn't actually a pun - it is a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings....you don't seem to achieve any of those prerequisites in your post; you just use the word "pun" - this isn't sufficient

Thanks for clearing that up. So you're just off the boat (no pun intended)? I felt I had to ask since you're actually surprised the company behind the ferry is unprepared for the task at hand.

Edited by Becker

7 hours ago, Becker said:

Thanks for clearing that up. So you're just off the boat (no pun intended)? I felt I had to ask since you're actually surprised the company behind the ferry is unprepared for the task at hand.

You clearly didn't read my post as their is no mention of surprise.

Might I suggest that you get yourself better informed on the topic in hand and spend some time trying to understand other people's posts? Then you might be able to add something constructive to the discussion

Edited by Alan Deer

Was there EVER...ever...some new project, condo, mall, restaurant, service etc. that all the doomers on Thai visa didn't said was sure to fail?  Why don't you all just take turns, post once about how it's totally going to fail because TiT and them be done with it.

Edited by lapd

1 hour ago, lapd said:

Was there EVER...ever...some new project, condo, mall, restaurant, service etc. that all the doomers on Thai visa didn't said was sure to fail?  Why don't you all just take turns, post once about how it's totally going to fail because TiT and them be done with it.

We are negative about this ferry idea specifically because it has been tried before,  if it wouldn't work then why should it work now,   didn't Albert Einstein  say:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

I have just returned from Koh Kut, the Express ferry takes between 1 and 1-1/2 hours depending on sea states, the boats carry anything from 150 - 300 people, it only costs 350 THB each way, that price includes ( if you require it ) pick up from your hotel or the bus station in Trat to the pier, appx 35 kms, and delivery from the pier at Koh Kut to your resort. As far as the Bali High ferry is concerned, 1200 Baht seems a tad steep to me.

Edited by Golden Triangle

The problems with the previous operations was that the boat left from the Ocean Village pier and arrived 3 1/2 hours later at Pranburi 25 km south of Hua Hin.
At both ends transportation was by minivan which is not much use if you were travelling with more than 'carry on' luggage.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

6 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:
The problems with the previous operations was that the boat left from the Ocean Village pier and arrived 3 1/2 hours later at Pranburi 25 km south of Hua Hin.
At both ends transportation was by minivan which is not much use if you were travelling with more than 'carry on' luggage.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

And what does that have to do with the Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry ?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Edited by Langsuan Man

So apparently it new fare is "999 baht" - are they hoping we won't notice that that is 1000 baht?

At least it appears that they are getting the message that it is too expensive. My guess is that if they survive into the low season they will be introducing all sorts of reductions to try and get the numbers up to use it.

To make a profit a ferry like this needs to have some "value added" way to make up any deficit on the initial fares and as yet I don't see this....is there a bar? Restaurant? shop?... but most of all does it take vehicles?